Sign in to follow this  
FLORIN

Happy as can be right now

Question

Hello everybody,

Went and did my first residential bid tonight, a two story white vinyl house. It has very little vegetation around the house that I would have to worry about. Just mold and mildew and minimal streaks on gutters. Went to their house with butterflies in my stomach and started ranting off all that I know about washing houses that I learned off this site and they signed my proposal right on the spot. I will be doing the house next week. I am on cloud 9 right now.

Thanks for throwing me a bone on this job Larry B. It is a great confidence booster. I hope some day I can return the favor.

Thanks to all who post on this site. You guys and gals are who gave me all the knowledge about this industry. I forsee a great future for ALL WASHED UP.

9 answers to this question

Glad it worked out for you Florin. The first one is tough but you will learn of ways to improve every time.

Was she as "interesting" as it sounded on the phone? Did you guys settle on the price she wanted?

Good luck to you Florin. 1st paying job, I can remember mine, I also was excited & nervous. Went and did a great job. I'm sure you will too!!!!!!!!!

JL

Darn was I nervous. First off I wrote the wrong adress down and went to the wrong street so I had to call the lady for directions. I then get there and had a fancy pen that I held on to just so I could use on my prposal/bids and I try to write something down and the ink in it is all dried up. So here I am in front of their house tearing my truck apart trying to find a pen. I luckily found one under the seat. A couple of times I got tounge tied. I was dreading the how long have you been in business question but it never came up. I guess I razzled and dazzled her with my knowledge.

Larry,

Yes she was "interesting". Every other sentence from her was "let me ask my husband." She then would run inside and ask and then come back out to answer. She went inside at least eight times. She asked me a couple of off the wall questions, but other than that she wasn't to bad. The husband finnally came out at the end and I explained my procedure to him also and they went for it. I agreed on her price because I don't feel that it will be that hard of a house. It will make some great before and after pics with the house being white. I also got them to agree to let me post a yard sign on their property for one week. I am going to hit the neighborhood hard with door hangers and follow it in a couple weeks with a mailing.

Just wanted to say thanks again.

Cleaned the house last friday. It came came out really nice. Customer was really pleased with the work. It took a little longer than I anticipated. I nitpicked every inch. At the base of the vynil siding was a light brown stain that would not come off with my house wash solution. I had to spray straight 6% and brush to remove. My overall house wash mix I made a little too weak and in some areas I had to do a second application. By the time I was done I was losing the light for my after pics. OK'd it with the customer to come back on sunday for the after picks. I got there on Sunday and while I was taking pictures I found two spots on the last side of the house that I washed on friday that I did not rinse good enough and the dirty water dried. I showed this to the customer and told them I will be there on monday to fix it. I rolled in on Monday on my way to another job and fixed it and the customer was more extatic that I came back than the initial reaction of the house being clean.

I didn't have it in my budget to get a digital camera at start up so I am doing it the 35mm method and having the photo printer people put it on disk for me. I should have the pics next week.

Sorry for the long post but am just excited. this was my first paying job, and full house wash. Everything else I have done is wash my own and friends houses to test chems and techniques. Never did the entire house in one shot just patches.

Congratulations on a finished job, the first is usually the toughest. the customer took their time to find a good contractor and were no doubt picky on the job. You have created a nice reference for yourself by being professional and following through.

Great job with the follow up. Customers love that. It makes them feel important and alot of times they literally hold you to your word.

6% seems a little weak for house washing. I assume your are talking about Sodium Hypochlorite? If you bump it up to 10% or 12.5 % in your mix, then, that should decrease the amount of time to do the entire house.

Are you x-jetting? Typical 2 story should take around 2 hours or less, unless you add gutter service.

Congrats on landing the first residential. That customer will call you again next season. One down... the world to go...