Sign in to follow this  
JBenson

going full time

Question

I just started a decent size fleet job and cant keep up working full time but yet it is not quite big enough. It is enough to put food on the table. I am quitting my job tomorrow (2 week notice) to do pressure washing full time. I have a few jobs to do. Actually 3 of the 4 jobs i have lined up are not pressure washing. 1 siding job for a lady i did her deck, buff the trucks that i wash and change all the stickers on the ONYX dumpsters as they have a new name now. Anyway, I have come to realize that my best bet would be direct mailing, how many would you recommend to send out and what would you target this late in the year. I was thinking gutter cleaning and ............not sure what else. I have a big window job i am working on and have a good chance to get. What advice do you have. I am nervous but my wife says go for it (she is the most positive supporing person). Thanks for any replies

11 answers to this question

Hey Jesse! Good for you! As far as target services go, well go for deck washing & staining, house washing & gutter cleaning for resi work. Keep in mind that deck season is winding down though. I would send out a multi service flyer.

Congrats sometimes you just got to jump right in. Target all kinds of residential and as you figure what you like most go for that, but for now take what will ever keep the food on the table. Houses, roof, decks, residential/commercial

Look around your area, see where your needed and where you can make some of the best bucks$$$$

Best of luck to you, work it hrd and you'll do fine

JL

I am nervous but my wife says go for it (she is the most positive supporing person). Thanks for any replies

Congrats on having a positive supporting wife - take advantage. As some of the other guys in here will tell you, when the spouse is scared, it makes the decision quite difficult!

Celeste

It makes it very difficult, but my wife has been very supportive since I took the jump a couple of weeks ago. Just as long as I keep the $$$ coming in.

Jesse, put anything in the flyer that you want to. Since you do some more handy-man types of services, you might want to use some more generic terms that the public might be more used to. Terms like: Light carpentry, general yard clean-up, roofing and siding go together and are familiar. Not so true for pw services, these you may want to list separately.

I sent out a letter this year detailing spring cleanup as well as basic pw work, and included pet waste just hoping to get on some properties where the homeowners might be likely to hire odious tasks done. No bites on the pet waste, but plenty of decks, fences, and housewashes. And, strangely, several retirees looking for garage door installation to rubbish removal to lighting installation.

Just be aware that some of the responses will be price shopping, and may assume you are desperate if you list too many services at once. I now try to aim more at things that go together: Different kinds of wood jobs for one flyer, concrete and gutter-cleaning with housewashes, you get the idea.

Congrats on jumping in, having a good support system in the house will be invaluable. Here's to you and your wife! Now go clean something!

Well, I would look to offer a service that can be performed inside. As you are already in the cleaning business, you may want to do something related. I find cleaning resturant floors attractive. If cleaning floors can be attractive.

You may need to make some decisions about your market re; res/comm.

I think you are right on going into biz at 27 with your wife's support. You gotta know though that there some knocks to be had. If it was easy there wouldn't be any money in it.

If you would like my input on marketing, PM me. But I must write that a mailing for its own sake could be a waste of money. Successful direct marketing has a few basics. You may want to search for Jeff from Myrtle Beach's marketing approach. Not only will you get the most from your money, you'll learn salemanship.

Bill

Thanks for all the positive words. I am excited to get going and find out what happens.

Bill, your mail box is full but i would love any marketing info you can supply.

Jesse,

Good luck I know it is a big step, I remember when I came home and told my wife I quit my job. If anyone can do it I know a fellow WI person can. Let me know if you ever need any help or advice I am easily available an I am happy to help. I will keep trying to find you some good leads.

Here's to your success.

JBenson,

I didn't realize my box was full. I cleaned it out.

I had a medical proceedure earlier and I'm not feeling too positive.

I will give you what I have. But you need to understand a couple of things. If you want me to give you a list of stuff to generate leads, it's already here, you just need to do some reading. Though, details of an advertising initiative are seldom posted. For instance, a guy writes that his mailing got a 3% response. So, you do a mailing and it gets zip. Well, the guy didn't post that he included essential elements of good advertising copy that you are not aware of.

If you want business now, make up fliers and walk them. Maybe someone here will send you a flyer that has worked for them. I use a different kind of document that would not work for you. Save the money you want to spend on a mailing. You are going to need it. Again, read Jeff's posts. If you want to sell to property managers, he has written all that you need to know. Between these two efforts you'll begin to get work.

Do not spend money on branding. In fact, don't spend a nickel that you do not need to spend. Cash is your blood.

Ask one of the posters if you can trade labor for learning. Knowing what you are doing, what you would like to do, and very importantly, what you do not want to do is marketing too.

Buy a marketing plan building book. As long as you are in business you will need to consider your marketing plan. The book will require that you write a document that describes who you are, who your competition is, what your strengths and weaknesses are, and what your business will look like. Email that document to me and we'll go from there.

Bill

get to know your competition, they may be willing to send jobs your way that they are unable to handle. thanks to jeff he sent me one a couple of weeks ago. which we are in separate niche's of the business but for fill in I will wash anything that someone is willing to pay for.