Sign in to follow this  
Don Phelps

Sonic Boom(s)

Question

I just heard and watched the shuttle come back to the Cape. I've never explored what caused the sonic boom(s) associated with it's landing. This is what I managed to dig up.....Very interesting stuff!

As an aircraft, rocket, car or even ducks move through the air they cause pressure waves in the air that radiate out in all directions at the speed of sound. In the left illustration a vehicle (arrow) is moving to the left at subsonic speed and slightly catches up to the sound waves in front of it and leaves the trailing waves behind it. At the speed of sound (Mach 1) shown in the middle illustration, the vehicle is traveling fast enough to catch up with all of the forward radiating sound waves, forming a strong pressure wave normal to the vehicle. This is the pressure wave that destroyed many aircraft before the flight of the X-1 in 1947. If the vehicle has the proper design and has enough power to penetrate the shock wave by exceeding the speed of sound, it can out run the shock wave which then bends back to form a strong shock cone. When this cone reaches observers on the ground or at track side, the sudden change in pressure as the wave passes causes a sonic boom. Large vehicles such as the space shuttle and the Concord supersonic airliner have a second distinct shock cone that forms from the rear of the vehicle caused by the air back filling the void left behind the plane or car. When this happens we hear double sonic booms spaced about a second apart.

877005226.Ph.1.jpg

As the vehicle passes through Mach 1 the pilot or driver senses a sudden silence because they are outrunning all air noise. However, when they return to subsonic speed they experience great noise as the shock wave(s) catch up and pass the vehicle.

I have had the opportunity to experience many sonic booms at Edwards Air Force Base in California, including the landing space shuttles and many supersonic fighter aircraft. The greatest boom that I have ever experienced was when the giant XB-70 bomber went supersonic at 40 thousand feet above the air base. The double sonic booms were like fireworks going off next to your ears. The B-70 was designed to ride up on the shock cone to gain extra energy from the wave, just as a surfer rides up on a breaking water wave. Surprisingly, ducks fly in V formations with the lead duck setting up pressure vortices in the air in a V shaped wave. The other ducks in the formation ride the V wave and use only one half of the energy to fly that the lead duck must use. The aerodynamics for low speed flight are very different than that of supersonic flight, but many of the concepts and mathmatical models are similar.

6 answers to this question

It was good to hear there was a safe landing. I have only missed a couple of launches and landings since Alan Shepard went into space. This mission being one of them, which is sad for me, due to it's importance.

I remember several years ago when the shuttle came over Arkansas as it was coming in for a Florida landing. I was with my son (15 or 16 at the time) and he had never heard a sonic boom. It is a sound that you never forget. It reminded me to go in and watch the landing.

As a kid growing up we heard sonic booms almost everyday. The Little Rock air force base was a SAC base (now a C-130 base) and we got to where we didn't even notice them. Then someone, somewhere complained and now you can't fly faster than the speed of sound over the U.S.

Ah, the good ol' days.

Stay safe and hydrated,

Chuck

The landig was really cool, they had a camera on the shuttle so you could see what the pilots were seeing. Russ is right, they couldn't see the runway untill just before they landed, and they had to do a turn to line up with the correct runway so you could see the shuttle making a banked turn in the clouds. It was one of the first I have seen in many many years, really cool. Sorry you missed it, mayby NASA has a replay on their site, or FOX.

If you have never seen a night time re-entry of the space shulttle, keep dibs, it is the coolest light show you will ever see. Orange fire literally across the whole continent. I saw a night time re-entry in Texas (Austin) at 22:00 pm. Saw it break through the atmosphere. It only took about 5 seconds to completely go across the horizon. Went back inside and in 2 minutes later I was watching the landing on tv.

I saw a night time Apollo launch when I was a kid and still have dreams about it to this day. Certain things just stick in the old noodle. Space exploration and the NASA program kick butt!!!