Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

HD-80....pain in the you know what

I want to share an experience I had using HD-80 this week. Monday I had a customer with a 900sf deck that either had a solid stain or a porch and deck paint on it. He wasn't sure what the previous contractor put on it. I did a test spot on it to see if HD-80 would take it off and at full strength and enough dwell time it worked.

So with that I geared up with tyvek suit, rubber boots, gloves, respirator, and safety goggles. I opened the tail gate on my truck and used it as a work bench while I opened a new tub of HD-80 then went to the trailer and mixed up a 5 gallon batch.

Everything went fine and the HD-80 did its job. After we were through with the job for the day and on the way home I noticed a little stinging on my right hip pocket area (OK lets just go ahead and say my right butt cheek). I didn't want to stop right there on the side of the road to see what it was and just figured I would check it out when I got home. The stinging kept getting worse and by the time I got home I was in some pretty good pain. I didn't think it could be the HD-80 because I had used all safety precautions and besides how could it have gotten on me back there.

When I got home I went straight into the house to see what this burning was and I had a third degree burn on my you know what. (I'm sure you will appreciate it if I don't post pictures). I immediately got some vinegar out and neutralized it, but severe damage had already been done. Still confused on how I could have gotten HD-80 on my back side I had to re-think what all I had done that day and remembered I sat on the tail gate to take my rubber boots off and put on my regular work shoes before driving home.

I went out to the truck and sure nuff there was some residual powder on the tail gate I guess I spilled when I opened up the new tub. I must have sat in this powder when I changed my boots.

Like I said I wanted to share this experience in hopes it may help keep someone else from going through what I am right now. HD-80 is great stuff, but you can't be too careful with it. If you are using it or have recently been using it and start feeling a little tingling on your skin no matter where it is get it checked out right then. Don't wait until later.

Been there, done that! I lost a fair amount of flesh on my lower back. Fortunately, my wife is an RN, so she took charge of the daily bandage changes. Had I not had a nurse at home, I would have required a trip to the doctor.

Sodium hydroxide eats flesh.

When people do dumb things like you did and decide NOT to share with others because it might be a little embarrassing. I appreciate you being honest and sharing with us, so that we can learn from your experience. Thank you and stay safe.

Although I have not had such a severe experience, when carrying boxes of a sodium hydroxide product with the UPS guy (and we all know how UPS handles packages) I felt some discomfort on my arms - I had a coke sitting on the front porch and poured it over the tiny white granules that were stuck to me. I had a rash for a little bit, nothing severe, but again, it's one of those stupid things that you may not notice when it's right in front of you. I now even make certain that the UPS guys are rinsed properly before they get back in their trucks just in case!

Celeste

PS - Len sorry about your backside!

Len,

I am so sorry to hear about your injury. I was burned with HD-80 once but it was very small. We were cleaning a kitchen hood, and one of the guys went past me with a sprayer. A drop of HD flew off the tip and onto my leg. I neutralized it right away, but had a small pox like burn for weeks.

On the bright side, you can lounge on your tummy like a roman and eat bon bons for a while. :)

Feel better soon...

Beth

On the bright side, you can lounge on your tummy like a roman and eat bon bons for a while. :)

Feel better soon...

Beth

Now there's a thought! You know, I have always told people I make my living standing on my feet. Until I got this chemical burn on my rump I never realized how much time I actually spend sitting on my ass. Getting in or out of bed, sitting at the table eating, riding in the truck, working at my computer, sitting on the jonh, putting on my shoes, and it just goes on and on.

I think I will take your idea and ask my girlfriend feed me grapes while I lounge around on my tummy this weekend. Just how well do you think that will go over?

I did that one time with mineral spirits. I just wasnt thinking and I stuck a half damp rag in my back pocket just for a little while. It made a rash and was gone the next day.

I've taken hair off my legs "smooth as a baby's butt" many times and i didn't even know it was on me till i was cleaning up.When you are sweaty you don't feel it burning you or atleast i didn't.

S/H is not fun to get on your skin especially when you first mix it and it's HOT YOWWW!

I did that one time with mineral spirits. I just wasnt thinking and I stuck a half damp rag in my back pocket just for a little while. It made a rash and was gone the next day.

You were lucky there! I looped a mineral spirit rag in my belt loop for a day - 3/4 through the job I was burning to the point that I used the customers garage to change pants - I had some nasty burns on both hipbone areas for almost a week then peeled like I had sunburned. Scary stuff!

Celeste

i would like to say i didnt understand,but i had a similar incident with muratic acid.....felt like some one was driving a hot nail through my left butt cheek.......had to meet my wife at rhe houe 3 times a day for a week and get the dressing changed ,i thought all was good until the 4 x 4 scab came off,then i had to start all over again