Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Aussie Oil on Ipe at 1 year

Question

Or should I say, a total lack thereof. We did this ipe last year, almost to the day with Aussie Oil - Amberwood. Some of you may remember, this one the homeowner had applied 2 gallons of Mahogany Flame on about a 5x5 section of the deck.

Anyway, per the customer, it started fading at about 9 months - this is it today. Customer is willing to be a guinea pig - we'll be applying the new FloodPro Supreme Performance stain on it. He's a great sport - asked what the worst that could happen, it looks gray again? Will post pics when we get the stain on. Cleaning will happen with their new stripper/cleaner as well.

14 answers to this question

Did you mistakenly post the "after cleaning" pic? Wow. Thumbs down on the ATO.

That big ipe deck you referred to me, Celeste is getting Wood Tux. I am meeting with the builder and homeowner on Friday to finalize.

We're taking the guinea pig thing to the next level - one half of this deck will be done with FloodPro Supreme Performance, the other half in Wood Tux Wet. We'll take pictures regularly afterward to show the progression of both stains.

Celeste

Jon, in regards to putting it onto hardwoods.. yes. After looking at it on all of my decks previously sealed with Wood Tux (not a ton but enough for accurate analysis) my opinion is that the product far surpasses ANYTHING out there. I'm not trying to sell it to anyone. I am not trying to blow Russell's horn but when you look at a deck that has southern exposure, is surrounded within 30 feet by a creek and a veritable forest of mold covered trees and you look at your deck that has also been through a northeast winter and it looks as pigmented and mold free as the week after you did it, you get convinced you are onto something. This was not a hardwood deck though.

My logic is that sealers on ipe, mahogany et al get very little penetration on the best day with the best prep. Using a product like undiluted Wood Tux will get you about 2 mils of penetration. If that is the best one will achieve with a paraffinic oil or any deep penetrator, why not use a product that was designed to lock in at that depth?

My issue with WT has been pigmentation and color blend. I have worked out some nice formulas on some hardwood samples so I am ready to rock and roll with it. On the upside of potential risk, you can see how long ATO lasts on a sun exposed deck. My guess is that RS would last even less. The customer is aware of the maintenance issue with ipe.

I'm not a fan of ATO and I don't use it. But i've cleaned many and stripped many. After the second application it last longer and just needs to be cleaned with bleach. The problem with the product seems to be when you get to the multi applications after the third and forth. The build up causes many issues. With the Flood product I also have samples of it to try. But i have the same concerns. Met with the rep last week.

Hi all,

I always say that I will only post exception decks. This is 1/2 of an exception deck from today. The screened in porch is to the right, The other half of the deck is behind me and the steps going down are about 10 feet and are not shown. What makes this deck special? It was finished just like a inside hardwood floor. The guys sanded on it for 1 day. Not my guys, but guys who do indoor hardwood floors.

Also WTW is the answer. We get to the job site this moring and it is misting. No worry. We start with the porch. As the morning moves on, the misiting stops and we finish the deck. The week's forcast - possible rain on anyday at anytime. I used to worry about scheduling, but no more.

How does this tie in with ATO. I have an Ipe deck from 1 1/2 years ago that is being changed to WTW in about 2 weeks.

The customer was more than pleased.

I guess if I attach the picture it would help. LOL

post-514-137772162721_thumb.jpg