Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

oxalic source

Question

10 answers to this question

For what and how do you use it ? Can you use it with a surface cleaner ??

Tom,

I believe one of the main uses is to remove rust on concrete. I know it can also be used to brighten concrete, but I don't believe you would want to use it on an entire driveway, it would be much to costly. If you search for Jeff LeCour's post on oxalic, he usually recommends mixing 4lbs. to a 5 gallon bucket of warm water and then using it in a pump up sprayer. I also know that it's used in decks, but I'm not a deck guy, I'll leave that part to a deck person to answer. Hope that helps.

John W.

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA

Tom,

I believe one of the main uses is to remove rust on concrete. I know it can also be used to brighten concrete, but I don't believe you would want to use it on an entire driveway, it would be much to costly. If you search for Jeff LeCour's post on oxalic, he usually recommends mixing 4lbs. to a 5 gallon bucket of warm water and then using it in a pump up sprayer. I also know that it's used in decks, but I'm not a deck guy, I'll leave that part to a deck person to answer. Hope that helps.

John W.

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA

Actually, you would use it on the entire surface otherwise the "spots" you treat will be brighter then the rest. And 4 lbs per 5 gallon is for use with an x-jet. 2 or 2 and 1/2 lbs per 5 when using with a pump-up. It is also used to brighten wood and to neutralize alkaline detergents used to clean the wood.

I agree with Dan. Do the whole drive or none at all and Jeff's mix is for x-jetting with no proportioner. The mix is about the same for nuetralizing a deck after cleaning or stripping.

I only want the powder form for rust spots on concrete. I use the citric/oxalic batch on wood. All the home depot/lowes, sherwin williams duron etc... stopped selling it, I guess it's part of the whole VOC thing....just a guess.