Sign in to follow this  
Mike Williamson

Stolen gas

Question

I've had gas stolen off my trailer TWICE in less than a week...never had anything disappear before. I had a 5 gal can 1/2 full and a 2 gallon can of mixed gas that both disappeared last week. So...I bought two new cans, a 2 gallon can and a 1 gallon can, and locked them down with a cable lock. The jerks came by last night and just opened the cans and poured the gas into another container.

So...I need some help. I'm going to set these idiots up, but I need some advice. I'm going to stick TWO 5 gallon cans out there with the same cable on them...but I want to put something IN the gas that will mess up whatever they're going to use the gas in...I know sugar messes up an engine, but can you tell it's in there?

Any ideas??

76 answers to this question

you're right Scott...if and when I did something like this and my dad found out...oh man, I was dealt with and I never wanted to do that thing again.

Short little story for ya.....I took my wife out for dinner this one time and we were in a really nice place...(Sizzler I think...j/k) anyways this loud-mouth, foul mouthed idiot was about 3 tables from us and just cussing up a storm. We, along asked the waiter to tell him to quite down a little and the waiter went over and politely asked the jerk if he wouldn't mind keeping it down a notch. The man nearly laughed in his face. I had enough...I went over to the guy, slammed my hand on his table and told him that he better shut the hell up or he was going to get a plate upside his head. I didn't offer him any cookies or anything and he stopped talking and the restaurant clapped and somebody there bought my food for me....

I've seen it on somebodies signature, can't remember whos...but the saying is..."diplomacy is saying nice doggy until you can find a rock". Sometimes you just gotta grow some cajones and defend yourself!!!

Hot Shot,

After I went to bed I was thinking. I likely would not have gone to that table. I was pretty apathetic concerning things that did not specefically threaten myself back in my aggressive days. I applaude your willingness to stand for what you believe, and for standing up for the surrounding group of frustrated patrons. And as I read this, as it was very late last night, it almost reads as though I am laughing at you. This is not the case. I was laughing at how different we all are. I find it honorable that you stood up for those others that may never have stood up for themselves. I just wanted to clarify.

Scott...I feel the same way you do..."if you only knew me". I've never started a fight in my life. I'm not an aggresive person, but I do stand up for justice and right vs. wrong. Sometimes, tact works, but sometimes a good ol' butt woopin is needed. The butt woopin is used when all else fails. I never recommended woopin the theives butt, what I said was to capture him/her and letting the law take it from there--no vengence, no retaliation.....just justice! It will teach that person a lesson.

You mentioned earlier that you are from KY...so am I. Ashland, it is about an hour and 15 mins from you. My mom lives in Mt. Sterling now.

Ashland!! They always have the cheapest gas!! Exit 40 I believe?? Is that right? Remember that from driving so much from TN to home in STL.

Integrity: points well made. As I think we all agree, Mike's decision, and there are variables that we don't know which should be considered. I'm not going to post on this anymore, because as I said, it's Mike's call. But my only point I'd want to be considered as a Christian is that, being a Christian does not imply that you have to be weak, or taken advantage of. I believe many use this as a crutch of sorts to keep from having to be bold--it is easier to just say, "I'll just love them anyways and hope they stop." A quick study of the Bible will show that Christians are anything but weak--and you shouldn't be ashamed to defend yourself. How is it "loving your other neighbors" to let these people go around menacing and terrorizing others in the neighborhood/city, without trying to stop them?? ....Or conversely, maybe your stopping these "kids" or whoever by whatever means necessary stops them from going to Hotshot's house and getting shot or something??

OK, here's one close to the tar on the handle idea, only better IMHO.

A couple years ago a kid in a local neighborhood broke into one of my neighbors home and stole some jewelry and a .357 Magnum.

The cops apparently knew this kid real well and a cop just happened to be driving by when he saw the kid walking across another neighbors yard carrying something.

By the time the cop got turned around to go check it out, the kid was gone.

Well, guess what? He just happened to dump his loot in my backyard and I was lucky enough to find it that night.

I handed it over to the police and they returned it to the neighbors.

Well, this kid kept coming by trying to get in my backyard to recover his loot. He had no idea that I had already found it and turned it in.

So here's what I did. I wired my double gates together so he couldn't get to the back yard. And just in front of the gates I took a low sided 'cola type' box (about 2" sides, maybe 18" X 24") and filled it with a gallon of roofing cement that I had in my shed.

I buried it just even with the dirt and covered it lightly with a couple handfuls of dirt and leaves.

Well sure enough the kid returns and trys to get through the gates and SCHLOP, right into the tar.

The cops were able to use that against him proving that he had no reason to be coming into my yard unless he knew something about the crime.

Here's an idea..........quit leaving the gas out to steal. or anything else that can be stolen. problem solved. next post.

Yep, I believe I mentioned that early on in the thread.

While it is satisfying to sit here thinking up ways to get the guy back, ruin his car/equipment, if I just don't give him an opportunity, he won't steal anything else. I'm out about $30.00 in gas and four gas cans (he conveniently took the yellow caps off the new cans with him when he poured the gas out. Using a rag right now, but I need to get a couple more cans that are safe.

If I could catch him, I would...Just not sure I really want to go to all that trouble. If it happens again, or he tries again and fails because everything is locked up, then yes, I'll set him up and nail him. But as far as being vindictive, I just don't feel that's the right route to go. If I believe that, as a Christian, I am supposed to follow Christ, then I must ask my self, what would He do? Would he put mothballs in the gas, or would he forgive the guy and lock his stuff up better? Well, in truth, He'd probably go find the guy and buy him more gas if he needed it, heal his infirmities, cast out the demons, and send him on his way.

So....if I claim to follow the book, and the Author, then I need to follow the book and the Author. This isn't a terrorist situation, the guy isn't going to say "hey, I got his gas and he didn't come kick my tail, so now I'm going to go break in his house". It is simply a case of an easy opportunity that some dishonest jerk couldn't pass up.

What I think I'm going to do is have a small cage welded by a friend of a friend (I need to have ladder racks built anyway) that I can lock the can in, but that will allow ventilation. I thought about a toolbox, but not crazy about cans of gas sitting in a hot metal box in the sun. All I need is a spark from the locking mechanism when I open it an, well, boom. What I'm thinking of is similar to what I've seen landscapers use to keep their blowers in, but smaller. Problem solved.

It's funny to think this jerk dose'nt even realize he's being talked about all over the country.Some loser ran out of gas in front of my house,and offered to buy some from my neighbor.My neighbor handed him a gas can and refused his money.The guy stole my neighbors gas can.I admire your take on it but I find it hard to be as forgiving to people who live by a different set of rules.

But my only point I'd want to be considered as a Christian is that, being a Christian does not imply that you have to be weak, or taken advantage of. I believe many use this as a crutch of sorts to keep from having to be bold--it is easier to just say, "I'll just love them anyways and hope they stop." A quick study of the Bible will show that Christians are anything but weak--and you shouldn't be ashamed to defend yourself. How is it "loving your other neighbors" to let these people go around menacing and terrorizing others in the neighborhood/city, without trying to stop them?? ....Or conversely, maybe your stopping these "kids" or whoever by whatever means necessary stops them from going to Hotshot's house and getting shot or something??

Very true, but as I said, a Christian is supposed to strive to be as much like Jesus as possible. So, I have to ask myself, if Jesus were in my shoes (and I think Jesus might be a pressure washer if he were here today), would he try to catch the guy, or would he forgive and take steps to keep it from happening again. Would he call the cops and hold the guy and gun/knife/baseballbat point until they could come haul him off to jail? That's not what he did with the woman caught in adultery.

It isn't a crutch...If you knew me, you'd know my first thought was I'd like to get my hands on that dirty SO....It just IRKED me to no end that some jerk was handling MY equipment!! It's more an effort to NOT do something.

When Peter tried to defend Jesus, he was told to put his sword away, and Jesus healed Malchius' ear. We don't find any record of any of the apostles defending themselves physically. They were ALL, with the exception of John, arrested and executed. We're told to bless those who curse us, pray for those who despitefully use us. We're to turn the other cheek, and not react in vengeance. Vengeance belongs to God. God will take care of me, He always has, and always will. I don't need to teach this guy a lesson...he already knows he's a thief, and he knows it is wrong. What I can do is pray for him, as I'm commanded, and hope that God can bring him to a place of honesty.

(Mat 5:44-48 KJV) But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; {45} That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. {46} For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? {47} And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? {48} Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

(Luke 6:27-38 KJV) But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, {28} Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. {29} And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also. {30} Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. {31} And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. {32} For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. {33} And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. {34} And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. {35} But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. {36} Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. {37} Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: {38} Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

(Rom 12:14-21 KJV) Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. {15} Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. {16} Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. {17} Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. {18} If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. {19} Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. {20} Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. {21} Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

(James 3:8-10 KJV) But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. {9} Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. {10} Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

It's funny to think this jerk dose'nt even realize he's being talked about all over the country.Some loser ran out of gas in front of my house,and offered to buy some from my neighbor.My neighbor handed him a gas can and refused his money.The guy stole my neighbors gas can.I admire your take on it but I find it hard to be as forgiving to people who live by a different set of rules.

Well, the point is, I need to live by MY set of rules, and not let the actions of someone with a different perspective dictate my actions.

Scott...I feel the same way you do..."if you only knew me". I've never started a fight in my life. I'm not an aggresive person, but I do stand up for justice and right vs. wrong. Sometimes, tact works, but sometimes a good ol' butt woopin is needed. The butt woopin is used when all else fails. I never recommended woopin the theives butt, what I said was to capture him/her and letting the law take it from there--no vengence, no retaliation.....just justice! It will teach that person a lesson.

You mentioned earlier that you are from KY...so am I. Ashland, it is about an hour and 15 mins from you. My mom lives in Mt. Sterling now.

No way. I grew up in Ashland... lol. That's the old school. I have rental property there. I was just in Sunday.

We likely have common aquaintances...

Did you go to Blazer?

Scott

Mike I did not read all the replies but how about laying down a box of tacks and nails where they would step on them and stop so they might end up with a few flat tires and bleeding feet?

How much trouble to just take the cans off when done working and lock them in your garage?

Another suggestion, put spot lights out lighting your rig up at night, people who steal do not want to be seen.

Put a note on each can saying YOUR ON CANDID CAMERA and try to stay up to take his picture so you can turn it ofer to LE (Law Enforcement to those that might not know what LE meant)

Oil in the gas as others mentioned works great, a little diesel will make it smoke something crazy but not to much.

I doubt this person would continue stealing once you do something to his engine (S).

Had two vans broke into over the weekend, they broke the window out and stole our Fleet gas cards. Idots will not even be able to use them. The worst part however, is that they punctured two holes into the gas tank and drained it. Now I have to replace two windows and a gas tank. What ever happend to sucking on a garden hose to get the gas out.

These were some real idots though, I have a six', 12' and 24' exstension ladder on top of all four of my vans plus an airless sprayer, and two powerwashers in each van. None of which was touched.

Had two vans broke into over the weekend, they broke the window out and stole our Fleet gas cards. Idots will not even be able to use them. The worst part however, is that they punctured two holes into the gas tank and drained it. Now I have to replace two windows and a gas tank. What ever happend to sucking on a garden hose to get the gas out.

These were some real idots though, I have a six', 12' and 24' exstension ladder on top of all four of my vans plus an airless sprayer, and two powerwashers in each van. None of which was touched.

Newer vehicles (say, in the past 25 years) are much harder to siphon gas out of, if not impossible. So, they punch a hole (stupid to say the least) in the tank and drain it that way.

Yep, when they grabbed my gas cans the first time, they took $10.00 in gas and maybe $10.00 in cans...and left a $200.00 blower, an $800.00 surface cleaner, a $200.00 ladder, and a $200.00 hose reel...

Jason...dude that almost sounds like the guys wanted you out of business instead of just trying to steal some gas....downright hateful! Sorry about your loss...

Newer vehicles (say, in the past 25 years) are much harder to siphon gas out of, if not impossible. So, they punch a hole (stupid to say the least) in the tank and drain it that way.

Yep, when they grabbed my gas cans the first time, they took $10.00 in gas and maybe $10.00 in cans...and left a $200.00 blower, an $800.00 surface cleaner, a $200.00 ladder, and a $200.00 hose reel...

If a mechanic needs to empty a gas tank on a fairly new vehicle, the tank must be dropped first. They have one way baffles in them.

Some people have more balls than brains. And the worst is knowing they walk among us. To lazy to do it the right way. To stupid to realize it hurts everyone. "HERE'S YOUR SIGN"

Sorry for the losses, alot of us have had it happen at some point.

The reason they did not take the equp. is because you need to work to make it work, and if you are stealing gas from others you are not interesred in working........... By the way did i say work eneff? I seam to have a way with words.:lgsideway