Sign in to follow this  
Mike Williamson

Stolen gas

Question

I've had gas stolen off my trailer TWICE in less than a week...never had anything disappear before. I had a 5 gal can 1/2 full and a 2 gallon can of mixed gas that both disappeared last week. So...I bought two new cans, a 2 gallon can and a 1 gallon can, and locked them down with a cable lock. The jerks came by last night and just opened the cans and poured the gas into another container.

So...I need some help. I'm going to set these idiots up, but I need some advice. I'm going to stick TWO 5 gallon cans out there with the same cable on them...but I want to put something IN the gas that will mess up whatever they're going to use the gas in...I know sugar messes up an engine, but can you tell it's in there?

Any ideas??

76 answers to this question

Would love to see the thiefs expression when the lights and sirens go off.

Thought about setting up the video camera to the DVD recorder on 6 hour record and leave it set up in the bedroom window. I may just pursue this...easiest way to catch the jerk, without damaging anything but maybe him. I'm not crazy about getting into a fight in the street over gas, but my Dobie wouldn't mind.

Mike,

Video holds up in court.Especially if you can get a good view of their face.Petty theft is not the stiffest charge,but it will cost someone bail money and several days lost pay in and out of court.

Mike,

Video holds up in court.Especially if you can get a good view of their face.Petty theft is not the stiffest charge,but it will cost someone bail money and several days lost pay in and out of court.

Ehh, I'm not worried about that. I just want to catch the SOB so I know who he is.

Release the hounds.............

Well, if it weren't for the mosquitoes and other nasties out there, I'd leave the dobie outside for a few nights...He's hard to see in the dark until he's right in your face. He can't go over the fence, but he'll scare the mud out of you.

post-30-137772163022_thumb.jpg

We had a neighbor down the road who kept getting gas stolen out of his tractor. He added some stove oil to the gas. He kept adding stove oil until the kid down on the next farm found his car did not run. Cured that problem. Have you thought about asking a fuel dealer for some off-road deisel additive? The dye would show up in any of his fuel tanks. I like the idea of useing machine shop floor sweepings.

Leave a note on the cans that you have installed video surveillance and for them to have a nice day. "Smile, you're on Candid Camera!" Northern Tool sells fake surveillance cameras - or you could set-up a real camera.

Leave a note on the cans that you have installed video surveillance and for them to have a nice day. "Smile, you're on Candid Camera!" Northern Tool sells fake surveillance cameras - or you could set-up a real camera.

I love that idea!

Beth

You guys are disappointing me here. This one is real simple. For a few weeks, put a bright yellow diesel can and a bright red gas can on the truck and fuel them backwards from the labeling. I'd also get a small can for 2 stroke gas and put thinned polyurethane in it with a little 2 stroke oil for color. Tell your crew, and get a big kick out of killing several pieces of equipment at once.

Philip

4 or five cans of octane 101(octane booster)added to gallon of gas will kill and engine quick.Oh,it will run great until all that octane booster hits in one large shot.Then it's hello burnt pistons and rings,followed shortly by a seized engine.

4 or five cans of octane 101(octane booster)added to gallon of gas will kill and engine quick.Oh,it will run great until all that octane booster hits in one large shot.Then it's hello burnt pistons and rings,followed shortly by a seized engine.

Ahh, but the OTHER issue here, for me at least, is what is the RIGHT thing to do? As the saying goes, what would Jesus do? Catching them is one thing...destroying equipment/vehicles is entirely another.

The RIGHT thing for you to do is protect you family, at all costs. Not defending yourself in this action is a show of weakness, one that a predator will prey upon. I grew up on a back road at the bottom of the hill, two working parents. During my childhood, we were broke into FOUR TIMES. I assure you, you don't want to find out what that will do to make your families life worse, more fearful, etc. This might be petty, but it is theft nonetheless and a form of terror if you ask me.

If I were you, I'd try to catch them in the act, and do something that might be defined as "crazy", and get that reputation as opposed to "easy target" or "harmless". Make sure this stops HERE....I can still remember being a kid and coming home from school with my mom and seeing the front door cracked open, and her just dropping two bags of groceries to the ground in shock. I'd do something overly-protective now...and worry about the fallout later.

The RIGHT thing for you to do is protect you family, at all costs. Not defending yourself in this action is a show of weakness, one that a predator will prey upon. I grew up on a back road at the bottom of the hill, two working parents. During my childhood, we were broke into FOUR TIMES. I assure you, you don't want to find out what that will do to make your families life worse, more fearful, etc. This might be petty, but it is theft nonetheless and a form of terror if you ask me.

If I were you, I'd try to catch them in the act, and do something that might be defined as "crazy", and get that reputation as opposed to "easy target" or "harmless". Make sure this stops HERE....I can still remember being a kid and coming home from school with my mom and seeing the front door cracked open, and her just dropping two bags of groceries to the ground in shock. I'd do something overly-protective now...and worry about the fallout later.

Agreed, the right thing to do is protect my family. I DON'T do that by antagonizing some stupid drunken redneck who then decides to come by and burn my house down the night I'm out working and my family is here sleeping.

This isn't a "predator", this is some stupid redneck taking advantage of an easy opportunity. He's not coming into the house. The dobie won't let him anyway, and the wife knows how to use the .38 and the shotgun...

Like I said, catching him is one thing, being vindictive and ruining equipment or vehicles is another.

up here on the redneck riviera my buds that hunt have motion detector trail cameras. you would not beleive some of the pics that they have gotten near their tree stands (they hunt deer) you could put one of those somewhere on the trailer or truck in the yard or somewhere and catch them on still camera. possibly getting photo of license plate. northern tool has these radars or something like that, detects motion through two sensors and beeps. you could set it up outside with beeper by bed, dobie, shotgun, etc.

Ahh, but the OTHER issue here, for me at least, is what is the RIGHT thing to do? As the saying goes, what would Jesus do? Catching them is one thing...destroying equipment/vehicles is entirely another.

Mike,

I'm with you. If they can't afford gas, then destroying their car will likely drive them to more aggressive crime. Leave them a plate of cookies next to your gas can with a note that reads, "Here are some cookies for you to eat as you load my gas." If this doesn't take them back then I dunno. They can't be angry with you, but they will definitely think you are at least slightly crazy. And I don't mean poison the cookies. Give them some fresh baked, maybe a glass of milk as well. I’ve got 5 bucks that says they don't come back..

tree stands (they hunt deer) you could put one of those somewhere on the trailer or truck in the yard or somewhere and catch them on still camera. possibly getting photo of license plate.

I would set up my tree stand and go hunting a night or two. Forget the cameras and that. Once he/she sees the flash they can walk over and destroy it, or just take it. This person needs to be caught and dealt with!!! In a couple of years instead of stealing gas they will be breaking into houses, then killing people. Catch the perp and let the law take it's course.

Leave him some cookies? You've got to be kidding me right?

Mike,

I'm with you. If they can't afford gas, then destroying their car will likely drive them to more aggressive crime.

Nah, that's what we've been lead to believe. Don't fight back, just play dead and hope they hurry. How does that apathy help your family, your community, or your nieghbors?? The proverbial ostrich with his head in the hole. These are the same arguments Dems use when saying we shouldn't be fighting terrorism so hard, etc......it is just going to make them more upset and more resolved to hit us. How would you feel if our country was following that pattern of thought?? You'll say this is apple and oranges; I say nobody has the right to take your gas or your life, and the pattern is analagous. I say take a stand and make them pay for their crime whether it is through prosocution, assault, or having the Dobie gnaw off his berries.:) But you are a respectable guy and will do what is best for you and your family. It's always easy to tell someone what to do, different when you are wearing his shoes.

I would set up my tree stand and go hunting a night or two. Forget the cameras and that. Once he/she sees the flash they can walk over and destroy it, or just take it. This person needs to be caught and dealt with!!! In a couple of years instead of stealing gas they will be breaking into houses, then killing people. Catch the perp and let the law take it's course.

Leave him some cookies? You've got to be kidding me right?

You could be right maybe I am wrong... It could be a her.

I bet 95% of all of us on here have done something comparable to this, or LIKELY worse in our young age. God knows I have. It's an annoyance, not a terrorist act. Sure I believe they should be punished. But hey, we all have our ways of dealing with people. I was a volunteer youth worker for over 5 years, and I got great results with subtle techniques. We all have our own opinions. Spin the wheel and see which one produces the desired results.

One thing I will never be accused of... being too agreeable.

Mike,

I'm with you. If they can't afford gas, then destroying their car will likely drive them to more aggressive crime.

Nah, that's what we've been lead to believe. Don't fight back, just play dead and hope they hurry. How does that apathy help your family, your community, or your nieghbors?? The proverbial ostrich with his head in the hole. These are the same arguments Dems use when saying we shouldn't be fighting terrorism so hard, etc......it is just going to make them more upset and more resolved to hit us. How would you feel if our country was following that pattern of thought?? You'll say this is apple and oranges; I say nobody has the right to take your gas or your life, and the pattern is analagous. I say take a stand and make them pay for their crime whether it is through prosocution, assault, or having the Dobie gnaw off his berries.:) But you are a respectable guy and will do what is best for you and your family. It's always easy to tell someone what to do, different when you are wearing his shoes.

I appreciate your honest feedback. What I like about these boards is we are all so different but very similar. You know in the old school. I would have probably just shot em. I live in KY, they don't even ask questions about your firearms here. But in my new school of thought I have learned much. I volunteered for some time working with youth in Los Angelos, and Brooklyn. Most of the time it is the youth that do these things. They feel justified if you challenge or compete. Notice I did not say, ignore or look away. Let them know you are watching. Freak them about a bit at your uncommon recourse. I'm telling you. Leave the cookies and a note. They will NOT be back.

you're right Scott...if and when I did something like this and my dad found out...oh man, I was dealt with and I never wanted to do that thing again.

Short little story for ya.....I took my wife out for dinner this one time and we were in a really nice place...(Sizzler I think...j/k) anyways this loud-mouth, foul mouthed idiot was about 3 tables from us and just cussing up a storm. We, along asked the waiter to tell him to quite down a little and the waiter went over and politely asked the jerk if he wouldn't mind keeping it down a notch. The man nearly laughed in his face. I had enough...I went over to the guy, slammed my hand on his table and told him that he better shut the hell up or he was going to get a plate upside his head. I didn't offer him any cookies or anything and he stopped talking and the restaurant clapped and somebody there bought my food for me....

I've seen it on somebodies signature, can't remember whos...but the saying is..."diplomacy is saying nice doggy until you can find a rock". Sometimes you just gotta grow some cajones and defend yourself!!!

It's always easy to tell someone what to do, different when you are wearing his shoes.

I volunteer to make the north bound trip, borrow Mike's shoes and then present a resolution to the thieve, in the vigilante form, which will bring ME personal satisfaction and in turn relive Mike from having to do it himself.

What do you say Mike, you up for it?

you're right Scott...if and when I did something like this and my dad found out...oh man, I was dealt with and I never wanted to do that thing again.

Short little story for ya.....I took my wife out for dinner this one time and we were in a really nice place...(Sizzler I think...j/k) anyways this loud-mouth, foul mouthed idiot was about 3 tables from us and just cussing up a storm. We, along asked the waiter to tell him to quite down a little and the waiter went over and politely asked the jerk if he wouldn't mind keeping it down a notch. The man nearly laughed in his face. I had enough...I went over to the guy, slammed my hand on his table and told him that he better shut the hell up or he was going to get a plate upside his head. I didn't offer him any cookies or anything and he stopped talking and the restaurant clapped and somebody there bought my food for me....

I've seen it on somebodies signature, can't remember whos...but the saying is..."diplomacy is saying nice doggy until you can find a rock". Sometimes you just gotta grow some cajones and defend yourself!!!

I appreciate you candor. I must admit I have not had a laugh like this for some time. I find it so funny that my approach likens me to someone whom lacks 'cajones'. That would be a solid statement if you knew me and my lack of courage/aggression was in question. If you only knew me. I had a life changing experience 7 years ago. Before that, I must admit I would probably have beaten you to the table. My business name has the word Integrity. To me that word means. Making the most honorable decision even when you can justify less than honorable behavior. You said it yourself "you're right Scott...if and when I did something like this and my dad found out...oh man, I was dealt with and I never wanted to do that thing again." Maybe you didn’t want to but maybe you did it anyway. That's where the note comes in. If you do it anyway, when you think you're getting away with it... BAM there is the note from DAD! Now you're looking around and wonder just how much DAD sees. Perhaps to you it's lack of cajones, and to me it is tact.

Andrew Carnegie once went to two men smoking in a hall of one of his steel mills, and they happen to be standing directly under a NO SMOKING FLAMMABLE MATERIALS sign. He never raised his voice. He handed each a cigar and said " When you enjoy this fine cigar I would appreciate it if you do it outside". Andrew C weak? No way. He made his point and they never smoked inside again.

I respect your opinion though. If we both thought exactly the same... one of us would be irrelevant...