Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

This scares me, but I have a deck question...

Question

My parents recently bought a cabin, and it actually has a deck. I have not seen it yet, but it looks like it was painted dark brown, with a white lattice. What does it take to strip that paint, and actually put a good stain or sealer on it? Am I better off just telling them to repaint it again? They are ignorant when it comes to decks. It is very likely one of the few that they have ever seen, so that they do not know what to expect. So what do you say?

4 answers to this question

If its painted you may want to oil prime then topcoat with latex solid.

There are products that will remove the paint but it is laborious and the strippers are expensive ($40 gallon to cover 85 s/f). If you have an industrial stength airless (to apply stripper) and a few days and don't mind doing a bunch of sanding it can be brought back to life and treated with a semi trans sealer.

Let's see some pics scott if ya can?

It might just be a solid stain andd not paint that can be stripped with some patience to let the stripper dwell.It might be a good learning exp.for you and make you appreciate concrete flatwork when you're done :cool:

Also if it's cedar or PT pine will help to??

Scott...

Pics please. Is it paint or soild stain? If they just bought it did the prior owner leave any cans or a history of what is installed? Also you mention this is a cabin....are we talking...wood? As in logs?

Beth

NO cabin, as in Old Folk Arizona style. It is a double wide mobile home. ANything in the woods and that is a second home is a cabin around here.

When I see it, I will post some pics. Might be a few weeks.. or months...