Sign in to follow this  
Brian Keating

Winterizing

In addition to what Mike said, I also use the fuel shut off, and run the engine till it stalls. This empties the float bowl as well.

It's a good time to change the engine and pump oil, that way you know it's ready to roll come spring time.

I also spray some wd40 over the bare metal areas to keep them from rusting

I must disagree about changing the oils. In my opinion, keeping the old thick oil seems to lubricate a non moving engine and pump better. either way, you have to change your engine oil before you start the new season, or at least you should.

Guest rfitz

Wow, Seems about 8 weeks too early, Im not that far from you, and I have at least 8 weeks of work lined up, decks and houses, maybe you might want to wait, the midwest is in a cold snap, for now, but average for us right now is 75 for a high, and it will get back to being warm again soon, so you may want to hold off for a while, even if it does get below freezing, I will just plug in a space heater in my van, at least until january, I dont see being down for more than a few weeks total, maybe 8 at most.... winterizing is a pain, and as soon as you do it, you will have a need for your unit,

Mike,

The reason I say to change the oil before storage is this....dirty oil is caused be carbon and unburned fuel which accumulates in the oil. I don't think it's the best idea to store the equipment like that. I wouldn't want to have any sludge build up in the engine which might impede proper oil circulation in the spring on start up.

I use Mobil 1 in all my engines, and the viscosity does not change regardless of how many hours are on it.

I'd rather have fresh oil coating the bearings and cylinder walls during storage.

If your method of storing an engine with dirty oil works, then by all means go with it.

Tony:

I learned one trick about changing your oil with Mobile1 the other day...Prior to draining the old oil from the engine, you should make sure you bought the Mobile1 oil, and not the Mobile1 ATF...the bottles are identical. Had to pour the old dirty oil right back into the machine so I could work.

Anyone need two bottles of Mobile1 ATF? :)

Also, I have to say that I disagree, old dirty broken down oil isn't going to lubricate anything better than fresh oil. That's why we change the oil, because it loses it's lubricating capability.

I can see no need to re-change the oil after it sits up for a few months....Just check your levels and you're ready to go. It isn't like sitting in the crankcase is going to break it down.

tony,

the mobil 1 you use, that the synthetic or regular, what grade, and can synthetic be used in the pump? I know the new synthetics for bikes can be used in the engine, crankcase and primaries. its a 20w50 grade.

Synthetics do last longer and I can vouch that they allow a motorcycle engine run cooler.

Reed

Guest rfitz

Reed, I called manufactures, Honda, and Kohler, and they highly recommend these oils NOT be used in either engines, and could possibly void any and all warranties, not sure why though...?

thanks, guess I will stick with good ole penzoil,

great rain today huh? But I hve no work anyway, all the homeowners here have quit for the year trying to get the decks done. One of the major builders is really pushing TWP, so I know what I have to do next year to dispel that myth.

Reed

Guest rfitz

Wow , thats is wild, Im getting calls like crazy, been like this since end of july

I lined up 4 jobs this week, that I cant get to for 3 weeks Im so booked up

and phones are still ringing off the hook, I still have 5 bids yet to go on today, tomorrow and friday, I guess 25-30 miles makes that big of difference..? and also, in st. louis we have only 3 months where the average low is below freezing, Dec. Jan. Feb but the high is way above freezing, so I cant see having too much time off here in st. louis maybe 10 weeks tops, damn, I was hoping for 3 months, Im whipped..

I don't understand why those manufacturers would say not to use synthetic. That does not make sense to me. Hey Paul B...are you out there???? What's your take on this?

I've been running Mobil 1 synthetic 10-30 for the past eight years, and have not had a single engine failure. In fact, I run it in my vehicles, the lawn mower, the generator.....every single engine I own. I swear by the stuff.

In my pumps I use 30w non-detergent oil. If I could readily get it in synthetic, I'd use it too.

Robert,

You have to consider who told you not to break in an engine with synthetic oil. Are they a subject matter expert? Rumors mean nothing.

Engine break in is a critical time. How well an engine breaks in plays an important role in engine longevity.

There are plenty of independant reports that suggest synthetic oil outperforms petroleum based oils in every single test category. Consumer Reports ran a great article on exactly this topic. The myths were dispelled and the facts were presented.

I've been using synthetic motor oil exclusively for over ten years. I have not had any engine failures during this time.

The extra $3 per oil change is cheap insurance and peace of mind for me.

Guest rfitz

I know a kohler mechanic told me why not to use it, but I cant remember why, maybe if you could call them or honda they could explain..but then again, if it works for you, then keep using it..

The reason is that synthetic anti wear properties are so good that the piston rings do not get enough friction to seat them in properly. After your engine breaks in synthetic is the best way to go. A engine builder for 25 years told me this, he's considered the best in Cleveland.

Robert

Back to the intermittant cold weather - our rig is on a "non-enclosed" trailer. It was 70 today and will get down to 27 tonight. Temps will be back up in the next 48 hours so we're not ready to flush & winterize the system. What is the best way to keep the thing from freezing or cracking or whatever other horrible thing that can happen? (Murphy's Law originated at our house!)

You can try a halogen lamp with a tarp over the unit,make sure that you have no gas cans on board.These lamp produce a lot of heat and for a night here and there,they won't run the electric bill up too high.The other option is a small electric heater if you have a place to garage you trailer.

We are having the same kind of weather in Ga. 31 degrees in the morning and 80 in the afternoon.With weather like this we'll be lining up to get the flu shot.