Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Ipe test project

Question

This deck was stained last year with Aussie Oil, which, was gone at 9-10 months. This homeowner was happy to let us use his deck as a test project between two products. Prior to staining we did put the two stains side by side on a board. The results dictated that we needed to change our test strategy (testing is one thing, making someone's deck look silly is quite another!)

The diagonal deck boards were stained with Wood Tux Wet, 50/50 with water, brushed on and hand ragged. The frame boards were stained with FloodPro Supreme Performance Natural. The same application technique was used, however, those boards were treated twice. End result was a two-tone effect. We'll be checking this deck monthly to see how the FloodPro holds up next to the Wood Tux Wet.

9 answers to this question

This is a photo of the test board prior to staining the deck. The difference in this and the deck is the deck only received 2 applications of FloodPro Supreme while the test board took FOUR (4).

Given that 4 coats of this product went on Ipe, I would conclude on this wood that the FloodPro Supreme Performance does indeed penetrate Ipe, which is a good thing, however.......4 coats is going to be pretty bad coverage and much more labor intensive. Moisture content is still a factor although 18% is better to look for than 12-15%.

I hear you guys/gals talking ipe fairly regularly. What region does this grow in? Is it considered hard or soft. I've never actualy seen it. Here it's cedar or pt with composite appearing more and more. I'm originaly a cabinet maker by trade, (not that that is supposed to mean anything). Didn't mean to hijack the thread!!! Sorry

I hear you guys/gals talking ipe fairly regularly. What region does this grow in?
It is indigenous to South America. Brazilian lumberers produce a major portion of what gets sold here in the states. Their is even a distributor called Pau Lope' that selects the best cuts and labels them under this name.

It is the second hardest wood known and has almost the same fire rating as steel, sinks in water and has only one known natural enemy...Marine borer mites. They are the only insect known to be able to penetrate this hardwood. The material is extremely dense and it's weight is up to 10x heavier than cedar by comparison.

Deck builders don't care much for it in the manner of expense to complete a project. They will go through many drill bits and saw blades while constructing a deck out of this material. It has a life expectancy of 50 years.

Rod!~

That is a section of the deck board that we had to replace. Turns out that this floor is not constructed of the usual 5/4 decking but the thinner handrail type boards (guy has a million joists underneath). It is all Ipe boards though and not paneling.

Celeste

Celeste,

Great test project. I've never been able to consider using customer wood to evaluate new products. You found the perfect job, with the two tone on the frame and diagonal wood. Sure beats using small sample boards sitting out in the rain and sun.

Moisture content is still a factor although 18% is better to look for than 12-15%.

Please explain. Are you saying higher moisture is better when applying the WTW and Flood stains? One of the best features of hardwoods is that they dry out quickly when using traditional oil stains.

The Flood product can be applied at a slightly higher moisture content than some other products that require lower ones. We have so enjoyed being able to stay on schedule with the wet wood ability......I was just pointing out that the Flood product can be used earlier than some others but not as quickly as WTW.

This customer was hilarious about being a test subject - he basically looked at it as "How bad can it be?" since the Aussie oil was poof gone at 9-10 mos. And after the test board (which again, was literally from his deck - we had to replace it because it was split) results, we opted to do the testing differently.

Celeste