Sign in to follow this  
PLD

Need stain suggestion for my deck...

Question

It's time to stain our PT deck. Since it has been fairly neglected (but excellently restored), I suggested Ready Seal medium brown. VETO! Wife wants it done "as natural as possible". Any suggestions to accomplish "as natural as possible" and have UV protection?

Philip

10 answers to this question

Do Little,

Those goals are mutually exclusive. You need pigment to provide any UV protection. If Ready Seal has a clear, you could dilute woth some toned sealer and have minimal protection, maximum natural. Every one of my customers say they want clear then after I talk them out of it are very happy they decided to use a toned sealer. Show her some pictures. If you use a clear it will be gray in six months.

Sherwin-Williams Banyan Brown color (Oil-Based Semi-Trans) almost perfectly matches the color of the PT decks I do after restoration. You can barely tell you've put anthing on it at all. I'll try to post a pic later tonight or tomorrow AM.

Natural as possible with UV protection = nothing left in a year and a pain in the behind to deal with. Many products coming out today involve acrylics, silicone and teflon. Any of these alone is bad enough but in combination makes wood look really dark on consecutive coatings maintenance.

Go with the lightest color usually "honey tone". Twp 500 series is pretty light.

Rod!~

What kind of oil in the SW oil base stain i read on the can one time it was veggie oil?

I would guess it's petroleum based. I've never heard the veggie oil tale.

Those goals are mutually exclusive. You need pigment to provide any UV protection.

I agree, but you can use a light color matching the natural color of the wood, giving the desired effect, but with ample pigmentation. You will lose some grain definition though. I regularly get people who want the deck to look like it does after restoration, and this is what I recommend.

Natural as possible with UV protection = nothing left in a year and a pain in the behind to deal with. Many products coming out today involve acrylics, silicone and teflon. Any of these alone is bad enough but in combination makes wood look really dark on consecutive coatings maintenance.

Go with the lightest color usually "honey tone". Twp 500 series is pretty light.

Not only that, but it will grey UNDER the coating. My girls preschool elected to polyurethane the new railings. One year later, the wood is beautifully coated, smooth, and visibly grey underneath the coating.

Philip

Hey Phillip,

New York Kicked A$$, thx for the info.

Go with the gold or light brown for Michelle.

You know better than to ask a question like that, Mr. Hawking!!!!!!!!

kidding.

I have used both and they both appear very natural.

.... but I do like James' statement. I am going to try that.

I have always tried to detour my customers from straight RS clear, just because of no UV protection.

Some of my better looking decks are clear RS. The grey color is dirt and mildew. When washed it's not grey. And when oiled many times gets a rich deep natural wood look. Sometimes a gallon of LB for a hint of UV. It keeps the Melaknowma away..