Sign in to follow this  
JJ1980

Stuck on Stucco

Question

Hello, Hello, Hello,

I am in the process of designing my business modle, and have finally decided to post this question after exhausting my search through many of your informative threads.

Where I am located- about 70% of the homes and building's exteriors are finished with Stucco or similar texture. Because of our humidity there is a fair share of mildew growth, there is also a lot of efflorescence and dirt accumulation.

I cannot seem to find a definite or quasi-confident commercial grade mixture recommendation for cleaning these surfaces, therefore I am - "Stuck on Stucco"... get it? Yeah corny I know.

I was told that a 50/50 5% with some TSP should work,... tried it, IT DOESN’T.

Have been told to swap 5% for 12%, have not tried it yet, but should I be concerned with fading dark coloured surfaces, or the painted ones???

Sorry for the long Post, just wanted you all to know where I am coming from.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

JJ

20 answers to this question

If you can mix your own detergent try adding a generous portion of sodium metasilicate (as well as TSP) to your mix. You definitely need stronger sodium hypochlorite concentration as well. You should have 5-6% hitting the house.

Make sure the windows and vegetations stay rinsed!

Effloresecence needs to be treated with acid. Be careful not to burn the substrate. Always pre-wet before applying acid.

Stucco should not worry you too much. I get the question quite often and usually recommend a butyl degreaser with a sodium hypoclorite solution of between 1% and 3%. This mix will allow you to get the black streaks off as well as the mold and mildew. It won't require too much pressure and I've had great feedback from many of the guys i've recommended this to. I can't mention a poduct here but could direct you more if you call me toll free at 877-578-7759.

I wash a LOT of stucco. We specialize in it. With all due respect to Tracy, that is way too low a concentration of sodium hypochlorite. It might work for marginally dirty dryvit but it won't work on beasts like pictured below.

post-581-13777216575_thumb.jpg

post-581-137772165753_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ken,

One question though... what is "sodium metasilicate" does it have a common or household name?

Not that I know of. Check your home center for "phosphate free" TSP. Read the ingredients. Supposedly that is some type of sodium silicate.

Sun Brite Supply is a vendor of pressure washing products, so I do not get in the field as a rule anymore. I do however still do product research and wash buildings, decks, drives, etc. from time to time both for the research, and to stay in touch with the proccesses. I also do plenty of product reccommendation and get lots of feedback from those contractors. I have in fact been in the feild every Sat. for the last month. (Don't worry I don't take work away from anyone) Ken, as a rule I still say 1% to 3% is all that's needed when applying bleach, though you're correct when you say 6% would be needed for a job like you pictured. As new guys are often on this board, I tend to air on the side of caution with advice, though I still beleive 1 to 3% is enough. Plus being primarily a wood guy, old habits come up easily. 6% on wood is too much. I know I have used bleach that strong myself when needed. I always tell guys, "use the least amount needed to get your job done". Sometimes you need some extra "kick"! Do what you need to do. Just don't cuase damage. I've seen bleach "burn" concrete at 12%. You can't reverse that.

Beth - thanks for reminding me of being able to mention products. As I said above, old habits die hard. I know you know what I'm talking about. :)

I wash a LOT of stucco. We specialize in it. With all due respect to Tracy, that is way too low a concentration of sodium hypochlorite. It might work for marginally dirty dryvit but it won't work on beasts like pictured below.

DID YOU HAVE TO USE PRESSURE FOR THOSE RESULTS

Great job Ken! Was the big streak down the chimmney from something other than algae? Looks more like the stuff you get on gutters from asphalt shingles. If a strong SH solution took that all off I am very impressed.

6% sodium hypochlorite and my housewash mix. House was washed with about 300 psi uniformly from top to bottom (120 degree water)

That was 8 years of growth near a lake and around here we get higher carbon buildup as well.

Good job Ken, that's a great pic for the folder

How in the world does somebody let their house get to that condition? Don'tcha think when it's about half way there somebody would say...."hum, I think I need to get my house washed"...

That's crazy

Good job Ken, that's a great pic for the folder

How in the world does somebody let their house get to that condition? Don'tcha think when it's about half way there somebody would say...."hum, I think I need to get my house washed"...

That's crazy

I'll get it next weekend honey??

Scott

On stucco/dryvit I like to use RPC Citra Clean & 12% and mix it stronger on the dirtier stuff. Seems to work real well for me. Sometimes on drivit that has rounded edges and theres black streaks ( Black streaks that look the same as you see on gutters) We'll brush those black streaks several times with a soft brush & the above mix and it looks great. The RPC Citra Clean works, other may also Im sure I just havent used them

JL

I am using the Sunbrite Citrus and have done two stucco with it. Actually one stucco and one drvit and had good results. Mixed 50/50 with 12% SH and downstreamed around 15% and the dirt just falls out of all the nooks and crannys.