Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Vacation ideas for a pregnant gal

Question

My wife has "suggested" that I take her somewhere before our child is born (February) and I am totally at a loss as to where good place would be. I checked into places in the carribbean and such but she's not really digging the idea of being in a bathing suit while with child, and she figures what's the point of being at the beach if you can't get wet. Anyone got some ideas of cool things to see or do? Perhaps something worth visiting in your neck of the woods? Everything I can think of involves hiking or swimming, but then again I am a little prone to tunnel vision on certain things. Any input would be welcome. We're looking to keep this trip to around $1500, so her first choice (Disney) is out of the picture. I considered DC but am a little afraid I'll temporarily lose my mind and go give a big "WHAT THE HELL" to just about all of congress. Except Linder. He's cool.

Thanks!

Ryan

38 answers to this question

Come to Biketoberfest in Myrtle Beach......Only kidding. Biltmore or mountains sounds real nice or go out to California and drive the scenic route. What is it Hwy 1 or something I remember years ago I loved it. Cali is a beautiful state.

I'd recommend Charleston, SC. It's a beautiful southern city, lots of history, unbelievable architecture, shopping, food (that's my favorite), and plenty to do. They have museums, an aquarium, tours (so you don't have to walk), many hotels to choose from, and if she wants to dip her feet in the ocean, Sullivan's Island & Isle of Palms are only 20 minutes away.

Talk to the Dr. about long car rides or air travel. I remember being 5 month pregnant with my son and driving to Pittsburg and back. Had contractions on the drive back...Brackston Hicks, no big deal, but my Dr. was furious at me and forbid me to drive more than an hour away after that. It could have become a bigger deal that it was....

Beth

Jon,

Have you ever been to Eureka Springs? It is one of the most eclectic towns I have ever been to. The residents seem to get along even though they may disagree with each others "lifestyle". The "deliverance" type people haven't been seen in 30 years. They probably went to Branson and started a music show.

I personally wouldn't go near Branson, but if you like to shop it is a good day trip from Eureka Springs to go to the outlet malls.

Eureka Springs is a great place to just kick back and relax.

Chuck

I had the same dilema last year when my wife was preagnant. We stayed at historic Saint Michals in MD. It is an old bay town with lots of little shops (my wife likes that). The coolest part about it though was they had a pregnancey package at the B&B we stayed at. It included a 1 hr massage for both of us. Hers was tailored for preagnant women. We had a jucuzzi in our room and aroma thereapy and movies for parents that are expecting, There was a neat horse and carrige ride through the town and the driver explained the history of it and told interesting stories along the way. Good Dining. We rented bicycles. My wife still talks about how enjoyable it was for her. Makes up for the PIA I was for the rest of her preagnancy. May be a little far for you but maybe they have something similar to this closer to you. Here is the link. It is called the bundle of joy package.

http://www.fivegables.com/summer_specials.htm

St. Augustine, FL used to be (just don't know anymore really) a really romantic and net place to visit. Carriage rides, great food, reasonable walks. I'll bet a B&B would be really nice down there.

Celeste

Jon,

Are you off your meds or just drinking Foley's koolaid? You've been quite a bit more insulting, rude and personal about things that don't agree with you.

Gee....speaking of insults, just bash me and innocent Jim Foley why don't ya!! I'm sorry you've chosen to be offended by whatever it is was I said.

Last I checked, "munchkins" are in EVERYONE'S town - maybe where I live, they don't like folks like your friend. Frankly, I think I'd throw rocks at you if you drove through right now.

There is a 'munchkin commune' in Burlingtion....I figured you'd be proud an out-of-stater new about it! I'm actual serious....do you not know what I'm talking about?? The people I know from that area of NC were all familiar with it. Not making fun! Pretty cool IMO!!

Last I checked, pregnant women actually dislike being called "pregos".

Was this survey scientific??

Murphy, NC (clean of the Eric Rudolph hiding out still if my memory serves me correctly) is a charming place. It is NOT overflowing with touristy stuff that brings long stands in line, horrific traffic and high prices. Hiking is not a prerequisite to going there nor is it the only thing to do.

Cool! Kinda like western Kansas, heh??:)

Be nice.

Please! Come back in seven days when you aren't so sensitive!!

Celeste

I love you however, Celeste:) Except my new nickname for you is "Willow":)

Jon,

Have you ever been to Eureka Springs? It is one of the most eclectic towns I have ever been to. The residents seem to get along even though they may disagree with each others "lifestyle". The "deliverance" type people haven't been seen in 30 years. They probably went to Branson and started a music show.

I personally wouldn't go near Branson, but if you like to shop it is a good day trip from Eureka Springs to go to the outlet malls.

Eureka Springs is a great place to just kick back and relax.

Chuck

Yep, currently doing a job there. I find the place to be horrible, but the place may feel the same way about me:) I don't see what there is to do?? There is a lake. I don't see what makes some places vacation destinations, but I am not a very fun person. Branson is worse---stupidist shows you can imagine, not funny, traffic, old traffic, I guess it is good if you are into shopping. There are a few good golf courses in Branson.

Okay RyanH,

.....Back on task, swoon the Wife. It is playoff time in baseball?? Could you make something happen with that?? Catch a Friday night game, nice meal and hotel, send her to a spa or something Saturday while you go play golf of hang out to watch football games, catch a saturday night game....go home on Sunday?? You could do that under budget, probably anywhere except west coast or NY/Boston.

You could go to Gulf Shores. The condos are off rate right now. There is usually not many people during the week. You could enjoy the beach and walks together.

They have kitchens and are furnished just like a house. You could cook in the condo and save money. Foley is like 5 miles away. They have a huge outlet mall there.

There is also a town called Fairhope right outside of Mobile. It has antiques and old town stuff.

From a father of a full house, take advantage of this time.I wouldn't trade my kids for a billion dollars, but there are many times I'd give $1000.00 just to have one weekend alone with my wife.No diapers to change or bickering between siblings is such a peaceful rest.

Enjoy the next few months of your marriage because it will never be the same again.It will be better and you're life will be fuller but the alone time will be hard to find.

Scott

Come to AZ, its great in the fall and winter and spring. rent hummer and roll.

in november and dec you can book good rooms cheap. rates are rising now and will lower in nov thru the holidays. new years they go thru the roof

just bust out another g, your good.

sedona,grand canyon, page, colorado river, az rim, fishing, camping, best resorts almost on the planet. Ghost towns, old tucsom, tombstone, caves, desert, mountains, sunsets, beach 6 to 7 hour drive. Snow skiing, water skiing, golf like you would not believe.

all the atractions of the big city stuff, Scottsdale Shopping if she loves shopping, bring another G

Feel free to stop by....dinner on me. best seafood place around.

Some of these sound really great. Depending upon my work schedule and how far out we'll actually be going somewhere, I'm considering these places (some based upon your recommendations):

Biltmore (Asheville, NC)

Blowing Rock, NC area (nice drives from what I remember), we may combine this with biltmore and spend 2 or 3 days at each.

AZ..grand canyon sounds really cool and the caves/deserts too. Ron, if I rented a Hummer I think she'd go into labor on the spot! She would totally dig driving that around and would love it.

Still considering some coastal town in the northeast perhaps near Maryland or Maine.

Cozumel, mexico. I figured if I'm going to have to go somewhere, I may as well get some good scuba diving in. We found some all-inclusive places for 6 or 7 nights with airfare for around $850 pp.

Florida Keys for the same reason as mexico.

Thanks again for the tips. She (and I) appreciate everyone's input and help.