Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Vacation ideas for a pregnant gal

Question

My wife has "suggested" that I take her somewhere before our child is born (February) and I am totally at a loss as to where good place would be. I checked into places in the carribbean and such but she's not really digging the idea of being in a bathing suit while with child, and she figures what's the point of being at the beach if you can't get wet. Anyone got some ideas of cool things to see or do? Perhaps something worth visiting in your neck of the woods? Everything I can think of involves hiking or swimming, but then again I am a little prone to tunnel vision on certain things. Any input would be welcome. We're looking to keep this trip to around $1500, so her first choice (Disney) is out of the picture. I considered DC but am a little afraid I'll temporarily lose my mind and go give a big "WHAT THE HELL" to just about all of congress. Except Linder. He's cool.

Thanks!

Ryan

38 answers to this question

I know of a beautiful mountain in the western most part of NC - secluded cabin rentals are very reasonable, views are to die for, there are great drives to take, neat shops, good food......I'm talking myself into a vacation!

Celeste

http://www.eurekasprings.org/

http://www.eurekaspringsarkansas.com/

http://www.eurekaspringschamber.com/

http://www.eurekasprings.com

Ryan,

Eureka Springs, Arkansas is a great place to just relax for a few days. Lots of different types of place to stay, shop and restaurants. Branson, Missouri is a short back roads day trip away, if you like that type of thing.

This is a good time of year to go.

It is a long drive from Georgia though.

Congratulations to you both,

Chuck

We're looking to keep this trip to around $1500, so her first choice (Disney) is out of the picture. Thanks!

Ryan

Off season rates should be coming up at Disney. Have you ever checked out Mousesavers.com?

Scott

Ryan,

Shoot over to Tybee Island.

No kids when it's cooler like this.

Really relaxed atmosphere's and attitudes.

(and don't forget that I am a displaced Texas Native)

Cut rate deals on first class hotels with great views.

Hang at the Dolphin for about 125.00 a night.

Alot of down home folks with big service.

I have been vacationing there every Thanksgiving for the past 4 years that I have lived in Ga.

Pretty cool getaway not too terribly far from home.

1500.00 will get you a long way there.

Already did the Disney thing this Summer as well and 1500.00 will get you in the door and that's about it.

I vote that you do the end of Summer thing on the island.

Have fun whatever you do.

Thanks for all the advice! We used to to the Gatlinburg thing but the best part was motorscooters and the hot tubs at the cabins, neither of which are good ideas for pg peeps. Helen,GA is cool for a day but unless I can ride the tubes it gets a little boring (I have a funny story about Helen involving some hot candle wax, but that's for another time). We did Disney for our honeymoon....I stopped counting at $6k (who can afford to take 3 kids to that place???) but she would LOVE for me to take her there. I'm liking the idea about Biltmore and that mountain Celeste mentioned, I think she'd like to get outside of GA. Where is that mountain?

Anything from the west coast? Canada? Thanks again.

http://www.eurekasprings.org/

http://www.eurekaspringsarkansas.com/

http://www.eurekaspringschamber.com/

http://www.eurekasprings.com

Ryan,

Eureka Springs, Arkansas is a great place to just relax for a few days. Lots of different types of place to stay, shop and restaurants. Branson, Missouri is a short back roads day trip away, if you like that type of thing.

This is a good time of year to go.

It is a long drive from Georgia though.

Congratulations to you both,

Chuck

PLEASE RYANH. I live near these areas, run. Away. The best definition of Branson I ever heard was on "The Simpsons". Homer said, "Branson is like Las Vegas; if it were ran by Ned Flanders." That is the most accurate description in one sentence you'll ever find. Most vacationers are in their 80's that are there. Is my main service area though...does have some lakes.

Eureka Springs, AR: Did you like "Deliverance"?? If you answer 'yes' to that question, you may enjoy Northwest Arkansas:)

Western NC: (Refer to Arkansas synopsis). Like I said, you'll wanna wear a chastity belt on backwards. Ask some of the people about the "blue skin people".....and Celeste---why don't you inform everyone about MunchkinTown?? Yep, I know about it:)

Why don't you take her to an out-of-town football game for the weekend of you fav. team, i.e. Falcons, Bulldogs, Yellowjackets, etc?? Or pay to send her to a cooking class?? That's it for me, pretty much just bash the other ideas and football.:) I'm not married so I don't have good ideas for these sorts of things.

Jon I have NO idea what you are talking about. Munchkintown??

Ryan, I'm talking about Murphy, NC. We've done a home there and also spent time just hanging out with our kids at the cabin. You can have pure solitude or if you want to drive through the mountains, there are actual routes laid out with premarked stops. I will send you an email with the information (email me at prowash2@carolinaprowash.com) and pics of the cabins if you like.

Celeste

My wife and I have always enjoyed going there. We stay at a family owned hotel in Roanoke Island.

We love hitting the beaches early in the morning and shell collecting; you can walk for miles and never see another footstep in the sand.

We have a new addition to our family; she is 2 and a half now so she will be ready for an OB trip this coming spring.

RYANH

You asked about Canada?????

Your dollar is worth a little more (helps cut costs down) and tonnnnns to c and do. Lived here my whole life. Have done the drive to Florida about 8 times. Love your country. Stayed in Acworth GA a few times.

If you want an inside scoop you can call me. There is a reason that Niagra Falls (Canadian side) gets millions of visitors a year. I still enjoy the sight. There's alot more there than just the falls.The war of 1812 was fought in this area if history is your gig. I wouldn't even be adverse to playing tour guide for a day if you wanted. Tell the wife we won't talk pressure washing lol.Toronto is just another hour from there. 3,000,000 + people and lots to do.

Charleston is supposed to be very nice. I haven't been but the wife talks about it every couple months, so I guess I'll get there sooner than later.

Just remember, that many of these place require a lot of walking and/or standing.

Biltmore (and Asheville in general) are great places to visit, but a fair amount of walking. Once inside, we stood for quite awhile before we were allowed to tour the house. And, if you're on the top floor and have to pee (or worse), it's all the way back down, out the back door, across the bricked courtyard to the livery stable.

Don't ask how I know, and don't even mention the 'security issue' you might create by climbing over the roped off areas because you're in a HURRY;)

But if you do decide to go...check out the GrovePark Inn in Asheville (close to Biltmore). Really cool place to stay, it'll set you back a few bills, but for a night or so it's well within your budget, and would be memorable (read: WOMEN LOVE IT).

-Todd-

neither of which are good ideas for pg peeps.

My wife and I were hot tubbing even after after contractions started. Doctors idea to calm down what she thought were false contractions. Just keep the temps down (tepid/luke warm) and the durations short.

Eureka Springs, AR: Did you like "Deliverance"?? If you answer 'yes' to that question, you may enjoy Northwest Arkansas

Ummm.... Deliverance was filmed in NE Georgia. The Chatooga and Tallulah rivers to be exact. I have a pic of me somewhere on the front porch of that shack.

Williamsburg, VA is nice. Good shopping and sights...outlet stored....baby stuff....

Key West Florida is beautiful and you don't have to go into the water.

How about New England in the autumn? (get with Jim Foley on that )

DC is not bad. Lots to sight see. All the museaums and monuments are free.

Gettysburg, PA is close by too.

Beth

p.s. get her a SPA appointment and a good foot massage...pregnant women have sore feet and it's a real treat to not have swollen tired sore feet.

Jon I have NO idea what you are talking about. Munchkintown??

Ryan, I'm talking about Murphy, NC. We've done a home there and also spent time just hanging out with our kids at the cabin. You can have pure solitude or if you want to drive through the mountains, there are actual routes laid out with premarked stops. I will send you an email with the information (email me at prowash2@carolinaprowash.com) and pics of the cabins if you like.

Celeste

....C'mon Celeste.....Burlington, NC.....the commune where all of the munchkins live.....they are mean, throw rocks at your car if you try to drive in, etc......My friend from Burlington told me about it, and I believe him:)

What would you do in Murphy? He can't hike, etc. From what I remember from the last time I was there....there is NOTHING. That's why Eric Rudolph hid out there for so long.

Can prego's fly? That really rules a lot in/out. Seems heading to the GA coast/Islands would be nice. I'm still for a football weekend.

Ummm.... Deliverance was filmed in NE Georgia. The Chatooga and Tallulah rivers to be exact. I have a pic of me somewhere on the front porch of that shack.

analagous.

Well, Honestly, Disney is not the worlds best for pregnant peeps. The rides are too jarring, and it would probably get boring strolling around. I vote DC. You can do it for $1500, if careful. If you are tired there are plenty of places to stop and rest, and you also can take tours and go as hard or easy as you want. Other than that, a cabin in the mountains might be good, but, what is there to do with pregnant peeps???

Ryan,

Just a suggestion that is a bit out of the norm. Usually it is OK to fly until the last trimester. 'Kidnap' her to Mexico! Don't reveal what you have planned. Just go to the airport under some pretense and figure a way to get her inside the airplane. I did this on our 25th anniversary. You need some help to pull this off, but it worked perfectly for me. All the attendants knew, and we already had put her bag in the overhead. I convinced her that we were examining the inside of the aircraft for son's school project. I had to convice her that it was too late to tell them we were on by mistake as we taxied down the runway. We were half way to Mexico before she learned it was planned. She was speechless for the remainder of the trip.

It would present some problems with the kids - I didn't even tell the family in order to make it a real surprise. A bonus is that Mexico is very inexpensive - well within the budget you indicate.

Richard

....C'mon Celeste.....Burlington, NC.....the commune where all of the munchkins live.....they are mean, throw rocks at your car if you try to drive in, etc......My friend from Burlington told me about it, and I believe him:)

What would you do in Murphy? He can't hike, etc. From what I remember from the last time I was there....there is NOTHING. That's why Eric Rudolph hid out there for so long.

Can prego's fly? That really rules a lot in/out. Seems heading to the GA coast/Islands would be nice. I'm still for a football weekend.

Jon,

Are you off your meds or just drinking Foley's koolaid? You've been quite a bit more insulting, rude and personal about things that don't agree with you.

Last I checked, "munchkins" are in EVERYONE'S town - maybe where I live, they don't like folks like your friend. Frankly, I think I'd throw rocks at you if you drove through right now.

Last I checked, pregnant women actually dislike being called "pregos".

Murphy, NC (clean of the Eric Rudolph hiding out still if my memory serves me correctly) is a charming place. It is NOT overflowing with touristy stuff that brings long stands in line, horrific traffic and high prices. Hiking is not a prerequisite to going there nor is it the only thing to do.

Be nice.

Celeste