Sign in to follow this  
krpalex

removing CWF

Question

I am a newbe, i just got a deck job that was done about 3 years ago with CWF cedartone, I would like to know if it is easy to remove and how should I remove it, I read a lot of posts on this site and the info is awesome, I also would like to know where to buy the strippers you guys speak so highly of. Thank You

9 answers to this question

Check the "Look What's New" and "Product Q & A Reviews" forums. There is plenty of info on different products and what people have thought of them in there. Otherwise, I return you to our regularly appearing helpful posters.

Rod!~

HD-80 will remove it. CWF just doesn't emulsify like other stains. It comes off in pieces that look like splinters, or if there are several coats, bigger pieces.

Really???

When I stripped this one, it came off like big rubber cornflakes. They had applied a maintenence coat every year for years. It looks like a solid brown, but it's really about a dozen coats of CWF-UV/Cedar. I'm sure was plenty dirt/pollen/dust between coats too. I've never seen it melt off like oil-based stains, and I've done a ton of work on that finish. THANKS FLOOD!

post-1644-137772180794_thumb.jpg

Thanks Shane. The wood beneath the finish was in fantastic shape, since it always had a nice thick coat of stain on it. That's one of the best pic's in my book and on my website, and it sells jobs.

That was three years ago, and I haven't been back...maybe time to make a sales call today...

I'm with Greg. See a lot of failed CWF around here, not sure if its cedartone. The big box stores seem to carry it. By the time we are called in, its usually a dark mildew tone. The oil based has always stripped easily for us.

But then again Larry thought maybe a dozen separate coats of the stuff? Holy smokes, didn't the customer clue in after two or three? Geeze, no wonder it came off like "rubber cornflakes"! Great description.