Sign in to follow this  
4running

Can you get your Burner to Burn Hotter?

Hello-

Now that I have used my newly rebuilt 110v Hotsy machine , I have noticed that the burner, burns very well, no black smoke, no white smoke just clear exhaust and it lights everytime.

But........... I wish the water was hotter. For example when I power wash the wand is too hot to hold, I have to use the handle on the wand if the burner has been going for more that a minute or so, and the hose gets hot as well. But the water the comes out when it splashes and hits my feet feels just warm, and surface that I am cleaning never gets actaully hot.

Can I adjust the bands to get more heat? Like wood burning stove just cut some air flow? do I need a larger volume kerosene nozzle? Does diesel burn hotter that Kerosene?

The thermostat on the machine is cranked all the way up, so the burner heats anytime the trigger is pulled until you release it.

Am I being silly? or can I make this thing really get hot?

Thanks again for the advice!

Kyle

Kyle -

If you can't hold the wand because it's too hot, and the hose feels hot to the touch, my guess is that you are crankin' some really hot water! When mine gets like that it usually means I turned the thermostat up too high. Usually, by the time the water sprays out, hits a surface, and bounces back to your legs/feet, it will naturally cool off. My overspray usually feels warm, not hot. What you are experiencing seems normal for a hot water unit. Hope that helps.

- John

Of course you can. It requires a high pressure bypass valve to be installed. Same idea as a dula lance, but the valve is installed on the other hp discharge port of the pump and you bypass water to the tank or pump inlet and reduce the amount of water that flows to the coil.

To maintain higher pressure, you need to use a smaller orifice nozzle on the gun/surface cleaner. You also need to make sure that your hose/gun are rated for higher temps as well.

I do this all the time for that very old gum that just will not give up to regular heat. I have also done this to use my skid to clean the carpet in my house.

I must warn you, that it will get very Hot, and may just burn the heck out of you. Gloves will be your best friend.

You need to be careful as to how much water you bypass and how hot you crank the temp control. You can easily go to true steam, and if you do and let go of the trigger, you can explode the coil. Steam is meant to be used with an open gun.

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2076&d=1118201250

Hello-

Now that I have used my newly rebuilt 110v Hotsy machine , I have noticed that the burner, burns very well, no black smoke, no white smoke just clear exhaust and it lights everytime.

But........... I wish the water was hotter. For example when I power wash the wand is too hot to hold, I have to use the handle on the wand if the burner has been going for more that a minute or so, and the hose gets hot as well. But the water the comes out when it splashes and hits my feet feels just warm, and surface that I am cleaning never gets actaully hot.Atmospheric cooling begins as soon as the water clears the coils, and more so once it clears the nozzle. Get a cheap infrared thermometer (about $29.00 at Harbor Freight) and check wand pipe temp near the gun, at the end of the wand, water stream 1" from the nozzle and 12" from the nozzle...you'll see what I mean.

Can I adjust the bands to get more heat? Like wood burning stove just cut some air flow? No, you'll make it smoke.

do I need a larger volume kerosene nozzle? Maybe, or an increase in fuel pressure.

Does diesel burn hotter that Kerosene?Yes

The thermostat on the machine is cranked all the way up, so the burner heats anytime the trigger is pulled until you release it.

Am I being silly? or can I make this thing really get hot?

Thanks again for the advice!

Kyle

You should be at a max temp of 200 degrees at the discharge of the coil. If not, a 1/4 gph larger fuel nozzle could help or increasing the fuel pressure may get you where you want to be. Either way, you will need to readjust the air bands for the increased fuel volume. I wouldn't do the bypass the water thing...unless you get a professional shop to covert it to a combination machine (steam or hot water)...you could mess the machine up or get hurt...

You should be at a max temp of 200 degrees at the discharge of the coil. If not, a 1/4 gph larger fuel nozzle could help or increasing the fuel pressure may get you where you want to be. Either way, you will need to readjust the air bands for the increased fuel volume. I wouldn't do the bypass the water thing...unless you get a professional shop to covert it to a combination machine (steam or hot water)...you could mess the machine up or get hurt...

Take Russ's advice he is dead on!

Oh, it can get hotter, but you really don't want to for a variety of reasons. ONe time not to long ago, I bypassed the heater but forgot and left it on. It was not pretty what happened to that heater coil. I ended up swapping the heater coil and shroud from another old machine that I had.

As for water not hot enough, if you run your machine and stick your hand out in front of the spray, but not close enough to feel pain, you will notice that the pressure is low, even though you are only a foot or two away. Also that the water is significantly cooled. IT has to do with the water droplets being so small that they cool quickly.

Yeah, I'll get an infared thermometer and take the temp of coil at the discharge side.

The person who stated that if the hose is hot, and the wand is too hot to hold, that its gets hot enough for this type of unit is also prolly right.

I think I'll take the temp at the output side of the coil, and if it gets 200 degrees Ill just leave it or if its a little cool, I'll turn up the fuel pressure and play with that for awhile.

I have more damn fun with this thing! :)