Sign in to follow this  
JJ1980

Free Water

I an attempt to cut my overhead as much as possible, I have decided to use water from a drilled "deep well " in my back yard.

This is an endless supply of clear natural spring water, these are very common and legal in my area.

My only concern is - should I add some additive to the water before I start spraying it on people's homes????

A cup or two of bleach to a couple hundred galons???

Thanks,

But if you break that down, how muchh of that is going towards your business to legitimize the effort you are speaking of?

Water is about $2 per 1000 gallons here. I could not imagine pumping and treating enough to fill a tote to save 75 cents (bleach would cost you more than that)

You stated that you are spraying on people's homes.From that Im taking that you do residential mostly. Are you getting objections using their water supply? I have not run into one person that cared that I used their water, and water is not to cheap here either. In Newberg Or I was paying $75 a month in water. I just brought it up in their bid and really did not give them any choice.

Do a search on my thread for "turned a house orange". High iron content water can flash rust in the presence of chlorine. It is uncommon, but if your well has that problem it will be a perpetual issue.

I agree with Ken. I could not imagine the cost savings on you going through the couple of steps of getting the water out of the well and hitting it with a bleach treatment. just my .02 cents

But if you break that down, how muchh of that is going towards your business to legitimize the effort you are speaking of?

Water is about $2 per 1000 gallons here. I could not imagine pumping and treating enough to fill a tote to save 75 cents (bleach would cost you more than that)

Thanks,

Not sure I'm understanding you... The $s' that I mention are paid to the local water company for personal consumption.

I do not pay anything for the water from my well, and there is already a pump and tank plummed to it.

In regards to paying to treat- Ultimately I was wondering if there is a need to treat before using it.

If not I would just pump from the well to my tote-tank and go.

You stated that you are spraying on people's homes.From that Im taking that you do residential mostly. Are you getting objections using their water supply? I have not run into one person that cared that I used their water, and water is not to cheap here either. In Newberg Or I was paying $75 a month in water. I just brought it up in their bid and really did not give them any choice.

No objections, Marketing ploy I.E. First 250-300 gallons free.

If I can get them to buy into this " DEAL" without costing the company anything...I win!!!

Do a search on my thread for "turned a house orange". High iron content water can flash rust in the presence of chlorine. It is uncommon, but if your well has that problem it will be a perpetual issue.

Thanks I will

JJ, I was assuming you meant that you are going to use the well water for your business. If you are talking about using it for your household supply I would think you positively would have to have some type of treatment or at the very least, a professional testing.

After rereading your post I still assume you mean using the water to perform jobs. My average house wash, if it is a very large house may use up 500 gallons of water. Total cost to the customer? drumroll please... $1.00 on their next bill. Now if you have to refill your tote and do every job 100% on your water you would spend more but I cannot see why anyone would do that (based on mainlad US municipal supply cost)

To keep things in perspective my quarterly water bill (for my home) is about $200. You are about 35% higher. So your customers might pay $1.35 to $2 to let you use their water. If you have to pump it out, fill a tote, add softeners and bleach, lose gas mileage and spend a couple of hours filling totes every day what could you possibly save?

JJ,

If you are using well water for your pump, all you need is a sediment filter. 5 micron would be gross overkill, but that would eliminate all non-negligible sediment. I suspect that a simple wire screen would work fine even for pond water. As for microbes, your pump could not care less if the water is infected with microbes...

Here in the S.E. USA, most wells are drinkable w/o any after-processing expect for sediment. I suspect that to be true of any deep well in the world.

If you do need to chlorinate your water, don't panic about the cost. One gallon of 12% will treat 9-17k gallons of water. FWIW, 1 gal of 12% will raise my 27k gallon pool from 1.5 to 3.0 ppm.