Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Who makes the most durable enclosed trailer?

I am considering a switch to an enclosed trailer. It would have to be very durable and be ready for major abuse.

I will probably want to go with roll up doors vs ramps or barn doors. Tandem Axles rated for 6000 each, brakes on both. and many more.

I looked at the site s for;

Pace America

Haulmark

Wells Cargo

Road Force

Whop are some more of the major players?

Hi Alan,

We use a Pace enclosed trailer for the commercial roof cleaning rig and it's been great. That thing goes through some serious abuse with all the weight and chlorine involved, but she just keeps on truckin'.

Alan,

A good family friend is a trailer dealer, sells Haulmark, which is what I buy from him. In my mind, he's the biggest trailer expert I've ever met.....at one point had a business making these 500K trailers that race drivers basically live in while driving across the country w/ their cars, etc. I'm shopping for another right now, possibly used, and asked his advice.

He told me Haulmark and Pace would far and away be his choice at the top of the pack. Not a lot of difference between the two. Actually, the two plants are very near each other, and he said are "mortal enemies". Said the owners of the two Companies actually got into a fight at some trailer expo, LOL. Highly competitive. I've had WellsCargo, I'd consider it a few steps below a Haulmark (never had a Pace).

I'm by no means a trailer expert, but I just so happened to have this conversation with a guy that I would consider an expert last weekend, so I thought I'd share. Hope it helps,

the two plants are very near each other, and he said are "mortal enemies". Said the owners of the two Companies actually got into a fight at some trailer expo, LOL. Highly competitive.

That's what you call a love for the business. Does your friend have a website to peek at?

Do you guys have any pics? I am still trying to figure out how to arrange it if I get one. If I can't figure it out, I can't get one and have it sitting around. I think I have looked at almost every set up that has been posted on the various boards, and still have questions.

I had a United trailer that held up well and eventually sold it to someone who use to post here alot. Since I loved that 7x12ft trailer I ended up buying another one this year that is 7x18ft and its also a United trailer.

Probably the best trailers that I've seen and priced out in the past where the Pace trailers but the United and the price I paid for these trailers where more in line in what I wanted to pay for a trailer.

If you want a trailer that can really carry alot of weight then look at the Gooseneck trailers. You can store a few thousand pounds in front of this type trailer where a conventional trailer like I have you don't want to have to high of a toung weight where you can break the hitch(Been there and done that).

What Size trailer are you looking at??

Alan...I have a HALLMARK for my hood cleaning rig. It's a piece of crap!!! I'm constantly replacing screws that vibrate out and fall out while driving. When I get the new screws I put a little loc-tite on them so it doesn't happen again, but if I don't catch them in time, I've had 4 out of one side before. I could pry the sheet metal out enough to get my hand in the trailer....

However, it does tow nice and the axles have held up well....I grease them about every 20K

I bought a "WW" back in January this year that was 5 years old and it is real thick steel sides and roof. The Floor is 2"x6" boards. It is heavy and heavy duty. The trailer is a 6'x12' but empty weighs 2500 pounds with a gross capacity with trailer weight of 7000 pounds. The Tires are 15" and are either 8 or 10 ply. I had a tree fall on it 2 months ago and the only damage was on the roof. The sides are so thick it only scratched the paint.

HaulMark, is the way to go. Have a connection with Trailers of the East Coast, Mocksville Nc. Tell them Tracey with Dometic Corporation referred you. Get a 7x14 tandem or larger. No issues with my trailer. Have a picture of it in the Gallery. Take a look at her. Shes Clean.

Hey Alan,

I would look on ebay for an enclosed trailer. Just watch Ebay for a week or two and you will find the trailer your looking for at a steel of a deal of a price. I've seen some ot the most phenomimal trailers come out of there that where Pace, United,you name it and like new cars once these trailers are driven off the lot there prices drop tremendously. Just look at the trailer I just bought. Here with the 4 ft custom side doors and vinyl walled inside would have ran that trailer about $2000 more then what I paid for it..

Why don't you tell us exactly what you want in a trailer as in size, Color, Axle strenth..preferable makes etc..maybe between all of us we can find what your looking for. With my free time on my other job I can help you track a trailer that can fit your needs....Like a Match maker:)

Another thing I've noticed is that most trailer manufacturers are in the Midwest, and the farther you get from there, the prices can increase drastically, especially heading West. From where I live compared to Denver, trailers jump in price about 50% (enclosed). But I believe Haulmark has a Utah facility.

I've heard the guy at hoodcleaningschool buys some trailers in bulk that are made in China and slaps a 'Haulmark' logo on them and sells them to unsuspecting customers---only for them to have rivets, etc. popping out and sheets of aluminum flying off a year or two later:)LOL

I get to work on trailers every day building pressure wash rigs and the Pace is a good trailer . Make sure you get the extened tounge on it, power vents

and set it up so the wieght is balanced . Locally I am getting my trailers from Ringo Hill . Standered features are extended tounge 3/4 in plywood on the walls and the floor .

Hey Alan,

Why don't you tell us exactly what you want in a trailer as in size, Color, Axle strenth..preferable makes etc..:)

That is what I am trying to figure out. I want everything I own for PW in there, a rolling shop of sorts. I am playing around on paper to see how it all fits best and keep getting lost.

My driveway is 22 ft, so if I want to drop it at home, and I will, then it needs to fit there. Their is a City Ordinance of unattached trailers on the street.

Not sure what the tongue length is on most trailers. My factory All American trailer has a 5 foot tongue. I have seen many enclosed trailers with no room to even open the tailgate of the truck.

18foot on the trailer and a 4 foot tongue would suit me well I suppose, but I need to figure out how to arrange it all for both weight and easy access.

I am considering a switch to an enclosed trailer. It would have to be very durable and be ready for major abuse.

I will probably want to go with roll up doors vs ramps or barn doors. Tandem Axles rated for 6000 each, brakes on both. and many more.

I looked at the site s for;

Pace America

Haulmark

Wells Cargo

Road Force

Whop are some more of the major players?

If you really want a quality trailer Exiss trailer is the way to go. They specialize in livestock trailers but they can build anything you want. I will say I had a Haulmark (stolen last fall) and now have a Cargo Mate. The Haulmark wasn't so bad quality wise but towed awful, the Cargo Mate does tow like a dream but its so cheap its unreal. I have a car hauler and even the cross members are only made of bent sheet metal ( to give strenght) spaced every two feet, had to rip the whole floor out and weld some more steel to solidify the floor.

About a month ago I was working out of town and saw this trailer dealer not too far from my job site. I took a look and I was absolutely amazed at how well these Exiss trailers are built. Everything is aluminum and the floor is made out of the same technology from transport trailers, all ribbed. It has nice big beams underneat for a frame but the attention to detail was amazing. And the price was very good. I priced a 36 feet fifth wheel, car hauler, had ramp door, 4 ft side door, aluminum wheels (16 inch), genset compartment, non insulated (I can do that myself), the whole thing weighed in at less than 6000 lbs and was priced at $19000.00 Can funds which would probably be around 17K US funds. If you want a dream trailer check out Exiss, funny thing though its that its made by Universal trailers which also makes Haulmark and Sooner. I would probably say that Exiss is there premium line of trailers.

Check it out.

http://www.exiss.com/php/motor/products/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=4

Dan

When you mentioned Universal, I thought of these guys.

http://universaltrailer.net/

If Exiss is part of the Haulmark family, then I guess if I got one from them it would be the same as getting a Haulmark.

I am waiting on some equipment specs in order to figure out what size trailer I will need. I figure either a 16 or 18, but just not sure and even more unsure of how to lay it out for weight and function all while having access to everything for use and service. Decisions, decisions.

Allan,

Its fun trying to figure out how your going to lay out the trailer and then getting it done. I enjoyed this process. What I did was draw the trailer to scale. 1/2" =1' so 9"=18' then I measure out all my equipment and drew a square to scale so since my Powerwasher was 5' long by about 3ft wide I cut out a 2.5" x 1.5" piece of paper and laid it in the trailer picture I had drawn. If you remember colorforms that where around in the 70's it was along this principle. I cut out every piece of equipment drawn to scale and just played around with that in my trailer drawing to maximize my space. When I actually put my equipment in the trailer everything fit like a glove and this also showed me that an 18 ft trailer is the smallest size I needed for the equipment that I had.

John T.

Did u ever get my email??

John,

Yes, I did draw up the layout and measured everything I had. It is a case of what is best where, tongue weight, easy access, and so on. Just not sure and everyone seems to have their own way that they like it. Most put the tanks over the axles, but Delco had a trailer with 2-525 tanks that were in the front and all equipment on the sides, where you could walk up the middle almost end to end.

No, I never did get your email. Did you send it thru the bbs or to info@preferredpressure.com

When you mentioned Universal, I thought of these guys.

http://universaltrailer.net/

If Exiss is part of the Haulmark family, then I guess if I got one from them it would be the same as getting a Haulmark.

I don't think so. It would be worth the trip to compare. They are not built the same way at all. I was amazed at the quality the Exiss was made. Comparing the Haulmark with the Exiss is like comparing a Cadilllac to a Chevy Cavalier.

I know this is the trailer I will be getting the next time I will be shopping for one. Depends on what you are looking for.

Dan

If you are setting up a trailer with a round tank you should build a table over top of the tank . I do this all the time now and the walls should be at least 1/2 inch . Also coat the floor with a rino lining type material and paint the walls white . I also set them up with interior 120 volt lighting , run the stack straight out of the burner . I do not put anything down on paper because I have done so many of them . Include a vice on the work bench and if you do night work set it up so you can use just the side door . Noise issues. I like the Ringo Hill trailers they will run electric in the walls as the buil d it . Then you can mount your generator on the tounge of the trailer .

Comparing the Haulmark with the Exiss is like comparing a Cadilllac to a Chevy Cavalier.

Dan

Thats funny because the Cadillac Cimmaron was a Chevy Cavalier and they just switched name tags, changed tail lights and charged more. They were both crappy cars.

For convenience, maybe I should just run my open trailer until the wheels fall off. The enclosed would be real nice, but their is so much to figure and I am just overwhelmed thinking about it.

Thats funny because the Cadillac Cimmaron was a Chevy Cavalier and they just switched name tags, changed tail lights and charged more. They were both crappy cars.

For convenience, maybe I should just run my open trailer until the wheels fall off. The enclosed would be real nice, but their is so much to figure and I am just overwhelmed thinking about it.

I can see that cause In Cali there is NO down time due to weather. Alan I sent you that email a couple of times. I'll try again with the above email that you posted. If you don't get it then something has to be wrong with your email. Maybe you spam blocker is blocking more then you think...