Sign in to follow this  
Jhignutt

Hot water and Generator won't work on my skid

Question

Anyone have any idea why my generator won't produce hot water and the generator won't come on. Could it be the belts need to be tightened. If this is the case how far should i move the pump and how tight is to tight for the belts.

15 answers to this question

Listen to Jarrod.

Also, check your GFI with a voltmeter and see how much your generator is giving you.

Are you producing any electricity?

Not sure what kind of machine you have but on mine you have to adjust the generator in order to adjust the according belt.

You need to do all of the above.

First check that the generator is producing electricity. Pushe the resets. It could have simply tripped. Then check the generator itself. The quickest way is as stated above. Plug the heater into a wall socket. If it works, it is the generator, if not then it could be the heater. If it does work, then you will want to verify your connections to the generator, and try and check the volts coming out of the generator. If it doesnt, you will need to track down what is broken on the heater.

I had this happen recently. My belt guard doesn't give me a good view of the belts and I peeked in and the belt looked fine but after testing all the other stuff I pulled the cover off. The belt was broken but it was sitting in such a way that it looked fine through the inspection port. I felt like an idiot since I spent about an hour testing everything else. Doh!

I had this happen recently. My belt guard doesn't give me a good view of the belts and I peeked in and the belt looked fine but after testing all the other stuff I pulled the cover off. The belt was broken but it was sitting in such a way that it looked fine through the inspection port. I felt like an idiot since I spent about an hour testing everything else. Doh!

Check the belt good before trying to rewire the burner cord to be plugged in. The belt could be in bad shape and just slipping. Also I had the generator on my Hydrotek go out after about 1500 hrs. I did not repair it though because I went to a General TSF 2021 pump at the same time and the engine wasn't big enough (Honda 24 hp) to run the bigger pump and the generator. I rewired it with a plug and run it off of a 2500 watt gas generator.

Figured it out i think took the belt shrouds off to find the small generator belt torn to shreds. Going to Autozone in the morning for a new belt will see if the generator kicks on tomorrow.

There is a belt tensioner bolt on the generator, use that to tighten the belt to a 1/4 inch depression. You can also check thermostat inside the control box, take the 2 wires connected to the thermostat and jump them together, if the burner fire replace the thermostat.