Sign in to follow this  
charlie

Why this business

Question

18 answers to this question

Because of low start up costs, and because pressure washing is simply, and I can keep pretty busy by lowballing the competition. If I'm making 30 bucks an hour, that's better than the factory. ;)

Barry, I just removed you from guest speaker status. LOL

:lgtear:

Charlie

I was only kidding, that's a good question. Honestly I hacked up a buddies deck one summer and slapped some stain on it for some extra cash. I had no clue what I was doing. During the job he mentioned how expensive it was to get it done by a pro. He is one of those guys that thinks he knows everything and he didn't think it was rocket science to blast it with water and stain it and I didn't know better. Anyway after the job was done I started researching and came across the PWNA website (back when it was free) and also TGS. I saw the potential and the rest is history. Thank you Grimescene!!!

Because it came with the painting end of the business. The gentleman I bought the business from wanted to sell and I wanted his painting contracts so it was one big package deal. All the PW equipment and painting equipment and contracts to go with it.

Sweet deal.

Dan

Ground floor opportunities don't come along very often and are glad we took the leap and got started when we did. There is more competition now but our name is already established and the reputation is favorable.

I have been looking for a business for years doing what I enjoy and wood is a hobby subject for me and cleaning is a natural talent so wood restoration fit very well. Beth enjoys wood too and has learned a bit about it through her father who deals in 17th and 18th century antiques. She didn't care so much for the antique business but fulfills her fathers talents for wood in our business.

We also love having a home based business and the ability to be with the family more often than working in corporate america would allow with the 2-3 hours a day commute alone.

It all fit! -------------- Next~

Rod!~

I liked and started in Pwing because its pretty easy work overall, Your not swinging a sledgehammer all day or lifting shingles on a roof, or your usually not climbing a couple hundred feet in the air everyday,you really dont have to kill yourself to earn a good days pay. Low start up, you get to see instant results and the property is usually amazed how clean it looks.

Its really a wonderful profession. I've enjoyed that in not really a long period of time you can get established and get a good name for your company and have people seek you out. Its just a fun biz with out a lot of the hassles of other trades. ITS EASY

I'll start to slow down right before Xmas , we have work lined up for Jan & Feb, but maybe not enough to keep all 3 of my fulltime guys busy 40 hours a week. well I started calling and visiting many of the PM's I work for and I told them straight out " Hey Im slowing down at the beginning of the year , if you have any work, it would be greatly appreciated" I had a PM call last week and said Jeff I'll find some work for you. Today one called and said I heard your looking for some work and said they called the developer and lined us up with a couple projects. another called today and gave us an $7200 dollar job and said start when ever we want just give hr a weeks notice and she has another job for us in Feb.

The point is where else can you call and ask for work and get it like this, PWing they can do now or later these PM's decided to do it now and its in there yearly budget so its hurting them to help. PWing is agreat trade and thats why I started in this biz

Got to love PWing

Jeff

I sympathize with you there Jim, we are just beginning our slow season and don't really look forward to the cold winter months except in their passing for the arrival of spring.

My question is, why aren't you working more indoors?

Rod!~

I'm working on my stone stuff as I write. I would rather Become the Condo Prince for Nov, Dec, Jan, and take off Feb & March. It might be a hard sell to the wife and kids though?

I am looking into adding tile cleaning and maybe rugs immediately and developing my marble restoration. Marble is the same as wood > It take's time to master and become the knowitall but I have alot of connections. Tile is quicker to get into than marble. I also have looked at vapor steam cleaning which is interesting. Any who the weather and health has been an issue over the last 5 years and it's time to get out of the weather and do some inside stuff. Or Wood consultant !!

Well the reason why I started this business was at the time I was able to be able to be there when they needed a ride to school, doctor, or anything else. Summers are hectic for me since I own 2 businesses. As for the down time I am able to coach basketball and take my family on trips. Thank God my wife and kids are supportative.

Charlie

I got started after I bought my first grill it need a cover and the covers out there just was not what I was looking for, I new they would not last being in the seatting filed all my adalt life. and doing upholstery work on the side, I had some black vinyl so I made my own, my sister needed one all of a suden so did my neighbor so we got the bright idea lets put one on ebay it whent so fast and so did the next 10 then people need costum sizes and i found I had a nak for it 4 years later It is my pimary income

We looked into PW because: It is the right thing to do. Our painting business is doing well, we have good employees and want to work the easiest and best way. Learning how to powerwash to us is, cleaning the substrate with the least effort, while maintaining the surface. We never heard of some of the chemicals and equipment till we heard from the real PWers. The intelligents and use of proper equipment put us into a new catagorie of PWer. The professionals on this and other sites should be proud. This is more than a job, it's a way of life! :lgangel: As in painting, anyone can PW, but not everyone is a true PWer. Thank You.