Sign in to follow this  
wesley

F-350 Dually

Does anyone have a F350 dual rear wheel truck? I am thinking about adding one to the fleet with a flat bed on it. I had one before but it was a gas burner and was terrible on gas. We have a F250 6.0 diesel already and love it (18 mpg) loaded down with hot water skid and the works. I want to put the 350 together with a flat bed but I have a few questions.

What fuel mileage do you get?

Specify 2 wd or 4 wd please.

Loaded vs. empty.

What motor, 6.0 or 7.3?

Also specify if you have 4 or 2 door,

Long bed or short.

I'm looking at a 4 door long bed.

We also have a Dodge diesel but dont want another one. It pulls and runs stronger than my ford 6.0 but we only get 13 mpg empty and 10 mpg pulling a trailer.

I'm leaning toward another Ford but Duramax guys feel free to chime in, I have heard good things about the Duramax.

F-450 2 wheel drive 7.3 liter diesel 4:88 rear end 6 speed manual.

4 door

Air Ride Rear.

8 mpg loaded

9 mpg empty

The poor fuel economy was due to that rear end.

I believe that the F-350 has a 4:10 rear

I can say this..... Pull a friggin house down.

f450getrdone-711x483.jpg

F-450 2 wheel drive 7.3 liter diesel 4:88 rear end 6 speed manual.

4 door

Air Ride Rear.

8 mpg loaded

9 mpg empty

The poor fuel economy was due to that rear end.

I believe that the F-350 has a 4:10 rear

I can say this..... Pull a friggin house down.

Micheal, nice truck. That rear end is killing you, and thats a 450 a little more heavy duty than a 350. I spoke with a guy this evening at the gas station and he claims he gets 17 mpg in tow, he owns a shuttle delivery service. He had over 300,000 miles on his 05 F-350.

If anyone else has a truck like this please chime in with your experience, thanks Wesley.

Nice truck. But why so much truck???

Scott

I bought it to haul a Bobcat and equipment to do Tree Work after Hurricanes. This is the first year out of the last 4 that I wasn't able to travel for the winter. Last year we made a nice winter pay check down in Texas after Rita.

I have a 2000 f350 PSD 6 speed regular cab with Single rear wheels. When loaded I never get below 14mpg and unloaded I get 16, I got 18 once but that might have a been a fluke, I've never done it again. Its a great truck I love it. I also added a banks exhaust brake and one of the banks tuners. They work awesome I strongly reccomend the exhaust brake and of course the power tuner never hurts either!!!

Be careful with that 6.0 diesel. Especially if you look used for years 2003-2004. they had some terrible problems with them. Injectors main seals lower ends giving out . I guess when you make an engine lighter and more powerful it is going to have to give somewhere. The navstar 7.3 was big heavy and dumb, but indestructable. Ford is going to a "new" diesel next year ( late 2007) so if the 6.0 was not Broke why fix it?...

Ford is going to a "new" diesel next year ( late 2007) so if the 6.0 was not Broke why fix it?...

yeah, it's going to be a 6.4 I believe. Just whent they get the bugs worked out of the 6.0, they go and change it :idea:

Be careful with that 6.0 diesel. Especially if you look used for years 2003-2004. they had some terrible problems with them. Injectors main seals lower ends giving out . I guess when you make an engine lighter and more powerful it is going to have to give somewhere. The navstar 7.3 was big heavy and dumb, but indestructable. Ford is going to a "new" diesel next year ( late 2007) so if the 6.0 was not Broke why fix it?...

Oh yes, 2003 f550 lemon. I have had 2 turbos, 5 injectors, transmission, power steering pump, and the heads replaced. 24,000 mi baby.

I will say my 97 f350 with the 7.3 was a really great truck. We will see how my new 250 holds up. Only 1 out of 6 have been a problem so far. But when the 550 works it is a great truck.

Wesley--

I'll try and answer some of the questions presented--I'm not an expert, but occasionally speak with some guys that are, and I'll try and pass on some of the info.

IMO, there is a lot of "luck" involved when buying a diesel. I have an '06 lariat 6.0PSD w/ 18K miles that's never done better than 15gpm, F250, 3.73 gears. Same truck, different guy will get 20gpm. At 18K miles, it is JUST starting to get broke in a little. The gpm is constantly improving, but I don't think I'll be one of the 20gpm guys.....it just goes truck-to-truck from what I've seen, no rhyme or reason.

Also have a 7.3 PSD F250 w/ 150K, and a 7.3 F450 w/ 125K. 7.3's are great, and you can "chip" them to running really well. As far as getting a dually goes, theoretically, that and the 350/3500 shouldn't affect your gas mileage (I've been saying gpm, LOL) that much.

Here's the deal: if you get a Ford 6.0 you MUST get an '05 or '06. They finally worked out the kinks. Since the new model/new motor is coming out, and is being anticipated, you can get pretty good deals on trucks on the lot. Thing is, who'd wanna be the guinea pig on the new 6.4???? As well, predictions are that the price tag for a diesel truck is getting ready to spike about 4K.

Ant mentioned "why get rid of the 6.0, finally doing well". Thank your SanFrancisco tree huggers for that one. New, stricter, EPA laws come into effect in '08, and everyone is scrambling to get their motors up to snuff. A new diesel fuel is actually at the pumps as of Jan. 1, 2007. But, I actually believe it is a higher cetane fuel so it is cleaner AND better.

Personally, I'm going to hold onto my '06 until the new trucks roll out at the higher price, and then try to sell mine used for a decent amount. Diesels are great---unless you have a problem. True story--my cousin has an '03 Duramax, at 105K miles he blew the tranny. Went with a stouter, 100K warranty aftermarket tranny: total bill: $7,000.00. Within ONE WEEK of having it out of the garage, the motor blew (it had no relation, just a fluke). Found a junkyard Duramax w/ 30K, installed, total bill: $11,000.00. Sure that is extreme, but it puts a diesel into perspective.

My father in law has a Chebby Duramax and to be honest, I like the engine, but I don't like the truck...it sounds like it's falling apart and it only has about 25 thousand miles on it. He has to back in his driveway because it's on a slope and it won't start if it sits uphill for very long. They can't find anything wrong with it at the shop :( That's some bulllllogna that he paid nearly 50K for a truck that can't be parked uphill....

Ford is suppose to be putting a light diesel in the F-1fiddy...that would be pretty cool. Also, I've been hearing that Nissan is making a 1 Ton Titan with a Cummins in it......SWEET.

Well I guess we put a jinx on my F-250. It has the 6.0 diesel and we are going to be without it for the next week. EGR valve/sensor leaking coolant, I only spoke with the service guy briefly but it has something to do with keeping the exhaust temps down and turbo I believe is what he said. The truck is a 2003 with only 55,000 miles so its under warranty, I just hope I'm not headed down the path some of you speak of when reffering to an 03 6.0 diesel.

Wesley,

There is a bbs: www.fordtrucks dot com. I've never seen a bbs like it in my life. Literally, must be a few thousand posts a day (well, is the only non-trade bbs I've ever played on). Anyway, there is more info on there than you'd care to read. EGR valves?? Probably 20,000 posts on the subject, all relating to early model 6.0's. Those guys on there are maniacs----you'll learn more about a 6.0 than you want to know. But the EGR problem is a common one; and you could find what the guys on there say about it. Hotshot slinks around over there a bit as well I believe, in the F150 forum.