Sign in to follow this  
mhpoole

Penofin ~vs~ Readyseal 8 month test completed

Question

Hey all,

Just thought you all should know i have used penofin the last 5 years. When i found this board everyone was saying how good readyseal was so i got a sampler from pierce. I decided to run my own test before offering it to my clients. The wood was cedar 6 inch wide fence boards. I had 5 boards screwed together. Boards were seasoned about 2 months prior outside before putting them together. Application was as follows I applied 3 light coats to each board, and boards were very dry. 2 with penofin and 3 with readyseal in gold, light brown and medium brown. The structure was placed on my deck about 10 ft above was a fir tree and some wet weather. All the readyseal boards are showing signs of alge already on top and mostly on the edges which was also treated. None of the penofin boards are showing any signs of alge. They both have faded slightly but thats it. I will post pictures in a few months after the full test is complete. I am glad a ran a test before using this product, Penofin is just as easy to use as readyseal but it seems atleast for the northwest penofin is a superior product.

More to come....................

Mark

12 answers to this question

Beth,

I will post pics in a month or so. Do you have any suggestions of something that will work better than penofin or ready seal? That is also as easy to apply as these products ?? If so i would love a sample

I sure do. It's Wood Tux. It goes on with ease, without the overlaps, runs or puddles, but has a curable resin in it, that keeps the color from over penetrating. Check under "Showroom Floor" to see a sample color and read about it. It's shipping soon.

Beth

The keyword in MHPoole's comment regarding Penofin being a superior product must be "Northwest". I watch Penofin go from beautiful cedar color to dark brown to almost-black in just one season here in the Midwest. I watched my neighbor put it on a new cedar fence (after washing AND neutralizing) just last June. I'll have to take a picture sometime soon and show you how dark the bottom 3 feet are already with thetop half catching up real quick. Weird how geography plays in the lifespan of sealers!

I'm guessing that the midwest would be a drier climate. So would the northwest be similar to the northeast? We're getting a good amount of moisture around here.

I've talk about this before on other sites maybe this one. These are two differenent type prducts. RS should be compared with Wolman FP , ABR , penitrating sealers that do not form a film. Wood Tux is more in the penofin catigory than RS. I juust stipped penofin off a barn thats going RS. From a guy who buy's more cedar 100's of thousands a year. What I see on the board is people do not understand the function of the type of sealer or the difference between film and penitrating....

Mark, you also stated you let it season for two months. Two months sitting unprotected is too long to apply readyseal to. RS should be applied as soon as the wood is the right moisture content, 12 percent or less. Applying ReadySeal or WoodTux to wood that has been sitting for two months without being cleaned and brightened is asking for failure. I know your humidity and moisture levels in Oregon are probably greater than here in the midwest, so I'm sure you get different results.

reed

I'll gladly post a picture of a deck sealed with Penofin. I hate the stuff, the smell makes me want to gak, and the cruddy Brazilian Rosewood Oil is nothing more than food for algae growth. Every single Penofin deck I see in Michigan looks similar to this.