Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Any Coin Collectors?

Question

Cleaning house over here. I have 6 silver dollars minted in Carson City. These are uncirulated coins dating from 1880-1884. They are in some type of acrylic case. I don't know jack about coins. I am going to take them to a dealer but you know how it is.. I don't know if they are worth $10 or $1000. I tried figuring out what they were worth on the PCGS site but it's like trying to figure out what a diamond is worth. I don't know how to grade them. I imagine they aren't proofs but they don't look like they have ever ben handled.

Does anyone know anything about coins?

7 answers to this question

Im no coin expert, but there is a guy that sells coins here and he said that silver dollars are only worth what the price of silver is per oz. And he said that silver dollars are 1 oz. To me that didnt sound right considering the dates. If you find out any info I have 1 in a case also, but it is from 1923.

Ken,

bring them to St. Louis Rt and I will give you $12 for them. You will have just doubled your MONEY, now that is a good ROI.

LOL,

Tony

Serious, they sound like nice pieces if you fine out the real value we may never see or here from you again!

Those sound like Morgan's and depending on the minting dates could be worth well over $100 a piece. There should be a date and a letter in the top left corner of the box. I cant be sure of those dates off the top of my head but there are a few years that are considered rare. There is one that doesn't have a mint mark that goes for I think $5k, don't get your hopes up, that one is very rare. Let me see what I can find.

Ken I collect coins off and on! I have alot of Morgans in my collection, mostly graded coins. Can you email me a photo of them? Copgib@earthlink.net

Keep in mind, the Carson City mint is the most pricy of Morgan coins. If you want to sell them, maybe we can work out a price. I could alway increase my coin collection. I would say each coin is worth maybe $75 to $150 each without even looking at them. The 1890 date I feel is one of the rarest, selling graded MS64 for about $5,000. Contact me! Hugh

The better the condition, the better the price. Old ones like you have described due to how few are left are now considered rare...this according to my late mother who was a collector of silver coins and silver certificates. She had knowledge of the types of silver and the core that was used in certain periods which helped to determine their worth. If they are solid silver without any alternate metal core they are more valuable. Minted or not, the dates are old enough that you may catch the eye of a serious collector who may take them off your hands and give you a good price. Or, you could heir-loom them and pass them on to your children. Up to you but you do have some valuable coins.

Rod!~

I took the whole lot to a numismatic expert. He said the 1880 CC Morgan is is a gem. He guessed it at 64 or 65. I sent them to PCGS to be cracked open and graded. I decided to hold onto them for my son. Hugh I tried again and again ton get a picture but my camera either made the pic blurry or when I put the flash on was a white out. I tried different backdrops etc. Here is one that isn't as bad as the rest (that should give you an idea how lousy a photographer I am). I need a camera that can take macro.

post-581-137772172439_thumb.jpg