Sign in to follow this  
PA Dutchman

Making shutters shine

Question

23 answers to this question

Since squirt asked....armor all extreme/high gloss

If its good enough for vinyl on a moving vehicle its good enough for vinyl shutters on a stationary house...just my theory.

If you can wipe your butt, you can shine shutters!

The beauty of this house is that we are monitoring the duration and appearance at regular intervals...I'm there at least once a week, shooting pool or watching a game.

If someone can figue out a way to do shutters without a ladder, I'll jump onboard.

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick" Bart Simpson

an extension pole and a window cleaning strip washer. or a brush for louvered shutters should work.

Has anybody been using the Restora product?

We started using it in the 2006 season and have had good luck with it.

Its a nice extra service to offer to help out the extera's with the House Washing service.

I will add this now because I know some will ask?

Lower story shutters about $12 to $14 a pair

Upper story shutters about $15 to $20 a pair

anthony,

You have the right idea. Providing a customer with the proper product and quality will carry you into coming years. We do nothing cheap or ready to fail. If you want to grow, do the right thing. Our prices are about the same as yours. This is our third year with Flood Restora. Our business this year will be about 10% Flood's Restora. We are highly rated in our area and Love using Great products. Keep up the good work.

hey, drop the box cutters here...

vinyl restoration products are vinyl restoration products.

I'm not saying to use it on the whole vinyl sided house (it would work however)

I was asked what I used. This home is exposed to the sun on the shutter side, and if I'm coming back next year.....it is all part of detailing a home like a automobile. Continuous care.

$58 per half gallon vs. $9.50 a half gallon

Terry,

Has Your Business Done Entire Vinyl Siding Projects ? All We Have Been Bidding Is Shutters For Now.

The Whole House Jobs Can Be A Tough Sell When They Were Just Looking For House Washing Service.

There Is A Big Difference Between A House Wash And Vinyl Siding Restoration Cost Wise.

Trying A Effective Way To Market The Vinyl Siding Restoration With Out Breaking The Home Owners Bank. On The Other Hand We Charge $1,200 To $3,000 For Deck Care So Why Not Siding Restoration?

I Think Home Owners Just Don't See The Difference To Siding Restoration Like Wood Restoration And Sealing.

Thoughts?

Beth,

We Were Invited Last Year To The Flood Classes Offered In Florida For The Restora Program. It Was Extremely Informative And Professional With Excellent Case Studies In The Target Market For Your Personel Area. They Did On Site Training From Start To Finish . Also Had Your Personel Sales Rep. There That Takes Care Of Your Area Back At Home.

Good Dinners And Entertainment

I tried the Flood Restora sample on my own vinyl shutters. Granted they weren't as oxidized as some I run across but boy did they come out looking brand new. I have mentioned it to a couple of people I am bidding with but so far no bites. If it doesn't involve too much ladder work I am including this in my Platinum service this year. Only takes a little time per shutter.

Gary - The shutters look good with the Armour All high gloss product. My question is how long will it last? I don't have complete info on the product but typical Armor All is a short term solution.

I'm the Restora marketing guy for Flood, so I can hook you up with a sample if you're interested in trying it. It's an emulsified oil/acrylic product that penetrates into the profile well (ever hear of Penetrol? That's the technology behind it.). You can expect to get 5 yrs. out of it. It's easy to apply. We have a semi gloss sheen. Let me know if you'd like some - send me an e-mail at jtrenta@flood.com.

Thanks,

John

Anthony,

We just started into whole house Restora last year.. Unfortunatly we had already booked our Summer by the time we got into it. We only did four houses complete. Restora is the most profitable project we do. Read the Warrenty. It not bad, Lifetime! It fades away. We'll do them again in 5-7 years in Ohio. We don't need to visit yearly and we continue to grow our business with new customers. Expansion is Good. You need to show most folks the benefit. Do a nice sample for them. The kits are OK, but you need fives for house work. You already are a top notch cleaner, just add Restora application. This will increase your bottom line. The middle tone siding seems to look awsome. You cannot do white. Try it on several vinyl products for samples. You will be impressed. As I stated before, we plan on Restora being 10% of our business in 2007. If I can help you, let me know. Flood Reps are the very best also. Thank You.

post-2261-137772172612_thumb.jpg

Ken,

Since we are a painting company, we charge by the labor and materials. If you figure it, we are getting from 1.25 - 1.50 per sq ft. This accounts for all labor and materials. I realize most PW folks charge at a rough rate of $100. per hr. That is what we would get for PW, but we do the additional work. You cannot hand apply materials at $100. per hr. However when you have six workers and making $5-$10 net from each worker it adds up. On a 1500 sq. ft. home it take us about 2hrs PW then another 1/2 day for application. I hope this helps you. Thank You.