Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Load capacity

Does anyone know what the load capacity of a 2001 GM Astro van? I found one in cherry condition today. I want to buy it for resi work. It will be a stain/wash van. I will be installing this as well as other things in it.

Envirospec North

Thank you in advance.

BTW - remember, this is NOT towing capacity. It is LOAD capacity.

This what u looking for?

This what u looking for 2001 Chevrolet Astro: Specs & Safety

Towing/Payload Capacity: Passenger versions of the Astro have payload capacities that range from 1667 lbs. with AWD to 1764 lbs. with 2WD. Trailering capacity tops out at 5500 lbs. on 2WD models with a maximum tongue weight of 750 lbs.

This what u looking for?

This what u looking for 2001 Chevrolet Astro: Specs & Safety

Towing/Payload Capacity: Passenger versions of the Astro have payload capacities that range from 1667 lbs. with AWD to 1764 lbs. with 2WD. Trailering capacity tops out at 5500 lbs. on 2WD models with a maximum tongue weight of 750 lbs.

Thank you Shane. The van I'm looking at is the cargo version. I looked everywhere for this info yesterday. I just could not find it. Is the payload on the cargo version the same as the passenger version?

I used my 98 GMC Safari for years. The cargo gives you more weight capacity because you reduce the weight of the seats. They run great and will last hundreds of thousands of miles with proper maintenance. They basically are a small truck. in a van body.

Well, I took the van for a test drive today. Runs great.

The payload is 1670 lbs.

I'll probably buy it tomorrow. There were 3 other guys looking at it today. When I got there, one of them was taking it for a test drive. I'll post pics when (if) I get it.

BTW, I offered him $3200.00 OTD. It was priced at $3500.00. What do you all think?

Depending on the miles, sounds like a good enough deal.....especially if it looks really good. There is a deck resto. franchise near me, and all their vehicles are Astro Cargo vans. Re: the weight---my only concern would be that for a machine that size, you'll obviously have to pull from a tank. How big?? That's what could eat up your weight. Besides that, you should stay well below the weight capacity (35-40lbs for a bucket of stain (x5)=200#), hose reels, shurflos, etc.....I'd say you'll be way low of the 1700#.

Update! I bought a 2001 Dodge 2500 cargo van instead of the Astro. Man, that thing runs great! Pinks anyone? He He. I'm bolting equip in it as it comes in. Man, that 8 gpm gear drive unit from E-Spec North is awesome.

Great space saver. I'll post pics soon. Thanks again for the advice all.

The reason I went with this vehicle is space and load capicity. The Astro was nice and $1500.00 less, but, better safe than sorry I guess.

Depending on the miles, sounds like a good enough deal.....especially if it looks really good. There is a deck resto. franchise near me, and all their vehicles are Astro Cargo vans. Re: the weight---my only concern would be that for a machine that size, you'll obviously have to pull from a tank. How big?? That's what could eat up your weight. Besides that, you should stay well below the weight capacity (35-40lbs for a bucket of stain (x5)=200#), hose reels, shurflos, etc.....I'd say you'll be way low of the 1700#.

I'd be cutting it close on some days. We do a lot of brick paver jobs and that sand gets real heavy. Thanks for the info and thoughts John. I just saw your post tonight. I don't know how I missed it b4.