Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

Rich people or rich snobs

Question

We all want to do business with people who can afford us right? In my experience, there's 2 kinds of rich people -

Rich (wealthy) people - People who make a great living and appreciate quality. They don't mind spending more for better things and services. They are pretty down to earth and "normal."

Rich snobs - These people tend to all live in the same neighborhoods or areas. (Secret society perhaps.) When you knock on their door to give them their requested proposal, they open it just enough for you to slip your quote through it. Of course, the chain lock is still engaged too. They won't really talk to you either. They say "Thanks, we'll call you later." or something like that. Almost always, they don't hire you, they go for the hack. And, if they did actually hire you, they are very nit-picky, fussy, demanding, and often pay late.

This is my experience with this matter. How about yours?

I want to see if I'm crazy or not, so please respond honestly. If you disagree, please explain why. If you agree, please elaborate.

10 answers to this question

I guess I have been lucky. I have done work in some very exclusive neighborhoods, and their is no doubt the people are filthy rich.

They called me, so they have always been polite and down to earth. Had I knocked on their door after doing the neighbors, then I could expect some attitude.

Residential always pays when the job is done. I have had people leave before I was done and they have always offered the payment before leaving. When I first started, I was nervous taking payment before they were satisfied, but am used to it now. It feels real nice that they trust you enough to pay you before the job is done.

I used to do alot of residential and it has always been quality people. The low lifes care less about cleaning so they do not call.

There are the rich cheap people but i guess there was a reason why they're rich huh :rolleyes:

All of my customers pay upon completion of work and since most my customers are repeat i get paid on time :)

Hey Jarrod,

I deal with exactly that kind of people on my "Other" job on an on going bases. Here's what alot of that comes down to. The self made rich are the ones who like so spend the money. There the happiest because they made there "Own" money and they like to spread it around..which means they tend to pay well and are not paranoid. (This is most of the time of course but not all the time because some of them are also a PITA.)

The other type are what we call the "Blue Bloods" who's family had money in some cases way before they even came to this country. Another words they had money as far as where/your concerned...forever. There the tight fisted ones who tend to be paranoid. There frugal because they never "Earned" there money and they hoard what they have to stay rich. Some of these people can be extremely rich and yet never really worked a day in there life. They can be the snooty snobby ones. Not all because some are just as nice as anyone else but generally there the cheapest and the ones who tip the least.

The ones I relate to the best and have a couple who I call friends are the ones who never even gone to college and may have dropped out of HS and yet there worth many Millions because there "Regular Joe's"that took risks and worked very hard to get where they got and they love it...and show it:)

We all want to do business with people who can afford us right? In my experience, there's 2 kinds of rich people -

Rich (wealthy) people - People who make a great living and appreciate quality. They don't mind spending more for better things and services. They are pretty down to earth and "normal."

Rich snobs - These people tend to all live in the same neighborhoods or areas. (Secret society perhaps.) When you knock on their door to give them their requested proposal, they open it just enough for you to slip your quote through it. Of course, the chain lock is still engaged too. They won't really talk to you either. They say "Thanks, we'll call you later." or something like that. Almost always, they don't hire you, they go for the hack. And, if they did actually hire you, they are very nit-picky, fussy, demanding, and often pay late.

This is my experience with this matter. How about yours?

I want to see if I'm crazy or not, so please respond honestly. If you disagree, please explain why. If you agree, please elaborate.

You mean they actually answer the door? I did about 3 estimates for snobby jerkoffs like this and not one of them were home when they were suppose to be. One pulled up 10 minutes late in her lexus, I went over and indroduced myself and asked how she was doing. She replied "Well another long day at the office, I've been better" in a snobby kind of way. Give me a break lady, yeah I feel real bad for ya:lgsad: . I can't stand these type of people and I refuse to work for them.

John T may be on to something. The way they made their money could have a lot to do with it. I'm real good friends with a few guys that make $500,000 plus a year. They're all real down to earth and a blast to hang around with. Their all business owners and they worked hard to get where their at and they're all very giving, kind, and easy to get along with.

Thanks for the responses so far guys. The reason why I'm bringing this all up is for advertising reasons. I mean, is it worth it in your opinion to advertise to the "snobs" or not? In my opinion, no way. I would rather advertise to people who are well off, but with "regular Joe" attitudes. I have proved this theory to myself many times. I just wonder if you guys have the same mindset that I do.

I know that in a neighborhood, rich or poor, you have quite a range of people. But there are those certain neighborhoods that the air is a bit stiffer. The majority of the people there are snooty and cheap. If you knew about such a neighborhood, would you still advertise there, or not?

This is kinda demagraphics of demagraphics I guess.

Let's do it this way - Say you have 6 groups of people you can advertise to, but you can only pick 4. Which 4 do you pick?

1. Poor

2. Lower Middle Class

3. Middle Class

4. Upper Middle Class

5. Rich

6. Rich & Snooty

Jarrod,

You should talk to Jim Foley of Conn. He deals with some very wealthy clients. Think he gets in the door by way of architects, interior designers, etc.

As far as your advertising puzzle, I'd break it down this way. Only three of the 6 groups would be selected, the top income three. 75% or 3x of the budget would focus on the "Upper Middle Class", with 25% or 1x divided between the "Rich" and "Rich & Snooty".

Major reason being that there are a lot more "Upper Middle Class" potential customers where I live than the two upper tier groups.

I did a job last year that was referred to me from Jim Crossley for a millionaire rancher. He had a (literally) 5 million dollar home at 15 thousand sq. ft. At the end of the project the owner came up to me after I loaded up the the lil 4cylynder for the 90 mile ride home and asked me to share a sit down with him on his tailgate. This guy had watched me work thoughout the course of the project and stayed way out of my work zone. Never talked to me or interferred with the progress. Made me a little nervous considering this place looked like a 5 star resort. But nonetheless waited until i was through. We shared a drink and talked a few moments about self employment. The ins and outs, yadda. The whole time this guy is commanding my respect because you could just tell he was self made.

All and all some advice he told me was that it is all just math big or small.

As it was approaching dusk he just pointed across his 400 plus acres to the sunset and said " this is what it's all about anyways". It truely was a great day for both of us. I knew this guy was genuine. Not "old $$$".

There is a BIG difference between the 2 types of $$$.

I have done work for one of the wealthiests (3rd generation) persons in Atlanta, squezzed right there between the Helo pad and the 1.5 MM RV to do my thing. Anyway the guy is just as regular as any other guy,

his kids toss around the same toys just about as my kids, he came out to thank me for the job and to ask me to do a couple of more things. His ex- wife came by to pick up the kids and asked me to do some work for her as well. He wrote a check like nothing out of the ordinary. Plain as folk.

Then others not so high in the upper crust category but in the 600,000 subdivision, 2 cars, 2 incomes, 2 kids and broke trying to keep up with the

Joneses were the nit pickers from hell, do this do that and this didn't come out like I like it etc. etc.

My take on this is you get the good with the bad. Just mix it good and enjoy.