Sign in to follow this  
sparkie1

Walk in Freezer

Question

How do you clean a walk in Freezer??? I have a grocery store with a large walk in freezer that they can take the goods out for a short time. I would have to clean this while frozen. How do you get away from freezing water on walls and floor?? Some kind of anti-freeze on walls and floor safe for food?? Any suggestions??

6 answers to this question

If you do it, and it has metal walls, dont use hot water. It will cause the walls to buckle. You will want to get as much water out as you can. But if it is a true freezer, is osunds like you are going to create a skating rink, unless you have it turned off and warmed up. For what it is worth, it will often take a large freezer a day or two to have the temperature moderated.

Hey Sparkie I used to be a Frozen Foods Manager when I worked at a Kroger here in Atlanta. When it would come time to clean out the freezer we would get the stock in the freezer as low as possible and competely sell out of Ice cream. The we would cut the freezer off let it thaw out while thawing out that is when would clean it. I hope that helps.

Working in restaurants, this was one of the tasks I got delegated to deal with. Mostly, you are doing the floor. The walls may need some wiping but you will have to do this last.

I have no idea what the inside looks like. Most have the metal plate pattern floor which is assembled with the assurance that it is going to get wet so it can take water to clean with. The walls are a texture pattern and will give off a metallic residue like lead from a pencil when wiped down if it hasn't been done in a while.

Turn off the refrigeration while you are doing this. The whole job should take less than an hour unless you have to unload it (unlikely though and I wouldn't recommend it for liability and health reasons, have the restaurant do it).

We have used hot water on just the floors to melt any ice and crud frozen in. Then use a squeegee to push it out into the walkin or other area where the drain is. Once you have the bulk of it out you will need to mop up the rest and make sure it is as dry as possible. Turn the refrigeration back on then wipe the walls down with a towel to remove any water droplets and re-insert the racks.

Do not try to clean it while it is still frozen or with the refrigeration still on. You will get no where fast. Have them adjust their ordering so that the stock is low on the day you do the work. They can keep things cold in an adjacent cooler so they will thaw out while you are working. Yeah, it will be in the way of the other stuff already in there but they should anticipate your work and get what they need done before you get there to minimize the impact.

Rod!~

I bid on a job to clean the exterior of a cold storage. Not aesthetic as much as FDA I think, removing algae/moss/mildew from drain outflows and where metal walls meet foundation.

One area I need to clean is where the refrigeration equipment is and it uses ammonia. I got a whiff as we walked through the inspection. I KNOW that I can not mix ammonia and chlorine without serious risk. If I am smelling it I must assume that there is potential that the two chemicals may mix even if the ammonia is only vapor. Does that sound correct? Anyone have any feedback, suggestions, experience?

I would plan to use a pump up and apply chlorine to specific spots. The thickness of the algae/moss will require pressure to remove anyway but the chlorine should make the process easier.

Any input is appreciated.

Joe

Sparkie,

Preferred Pressure simply put, gives you the optimum, most efficient process. Cold/freezing or not use hot water, capture immediatly 7 it never has a chance to freeze. We did our first cooler in a local grocery mart and have landed many such accounts since. First time, we went in with a 30'' steeleagle surface cleaner & 3500-5 LAnda hot water unit, pre sprayed(mixture of dawn detergent / D-limonene/ bleach) heavy soil and tarpped off any product that was still in the unit. There are usually grated floor drains accross the threshold @ entrance. We start on the floors set the temp to high and the ambient temp from washing the floors drops quickly enough to then hit the walls (after lowering temp) without causing de-lamination (pooping sounds, oops!) on the wall panels.

If you dont have a water capture process, have 2 guys(there goes the profit margin) on squeegees, and damn the water as you move from furthest point from door toward door/drain. Or get a small pump and a couple of daming socks, then you only need one guy on squeegee. Good luck and remember use a fragrant cleaner, it gets smelly when you thaw out cold foods. And customers always seem to feel like its clean when it smells clean.

Rich

Steam Slingers Powerwashing

313-231-1477

ccsigns@comcast.net