Sign in to follow this  
DanMc

A "Spy" called me yesterday....

Question

I received a strange phone call for a quote yesterday. A female voice started by asking the standard questions of what I clean, etc. She then started asking me how much I charge to clean driveways, houses, decks, etc. I advised her I would need to see the property to give an exact estimate.

Frustrated, she then started asking more detailed questions such as my location, what chems I used to clean with, the psi of my machine....and finally GPM(!)...

After that question, I made the comment, "You sound very familiar with pressure washers."

CLICK.....DIALTONE

Was this likely a competitor digging for info? Or just a crazy customer?

18 answers to this question

I received a strange phone call for a quote yesterday. A female voice started by asking the standard questions of what I clean, etc. She then started asking me how much I charge to clean driveways, houses, decks, etc. I advised her I would need to see the property to give an exact estimate.

Frustrated, she then started asking more detailed questions such as my location, what chems I used to clean with, the psi of my machine....and finally GPM(!)...

Driveways = $20

Houses = $50

Decks $49 or 59 if you want top quality thompsons sealer

Come on you gotta help the competition out!!

ha

I had gotten a similiar phone call last Saturday. Gentleman asked the identical basic questions and then went into what materials I use. Then he proceeded to ask me how long and how much would it take (me) to clean his 4500 sq/ft shop with a 16" surface cleaner. That's funny, I never said I had a 16" surface cleaner. In fact I never mentioned any equipment I had. (CLICK) he hung up. Amazing.

Why does everyone assume a spying competitor is a lowballing hacker? It's actually a good idea to know your competition so you can take advantage of their weaknesses. Maybe this person wasn't too good at it and got busted but at least their trying. I have all my competitors written down on a list and I add to it when I see a new company around. I don't have time to sit and watch their techniques or call looking for prices but I'm mostly interested in their advertising methods and areas they target.

Barry has a very good point. We have actually made it a point to try to develop relationships with about every reputable company around us and it has paid us back in good ways. We've developed very strong referrals, we're collectively raising the bar on quality. It progressed past the old "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" saying. We don't concern ourselves with lowballers or beer guys - they keep the price shoppers happy :)

Celeste

Why does everyone assume a spying competitor is a lowballing hacker? It's actually a good idea to know your competition so you can take advantage of their weaknesses. Maybe this person wasn't too good at it and got busted but at least their trying. I have all my competitors written down on a list and I add to it when I see a new company around. I don't have time to sit and watch their techniques or call looking for prices but I'm mostly interested in their advertising methods and areas they target.

I just dont like someone calling and lying to me. It waste my time. If you got a questions say who you are and then i can either choose to help or not, but if you call lying , I definitly wont help

I've had a half dozen of these calls in the last couple months. I am always willing to help a local guy, but I want the truth from the beginning or I'll never be able to trust them in the future. Christian, Jim Carroll and another local guy we all help or share info and I dont fear they would try to cut my throat. but then theres a couple others that have asked my pricing or PM's names and dont want to share anything in return. You have to be careful who you help sometimes, not all people are like many on these boards

All in all I'm very trusting and if someone wants to use me being nice as a weakeness , they are wrong and will lose the benifits of being friendly competitors. These phone calls if they just said who they are I would help to one extent or more. I have helped guys who walk up as we do jobs, I got one guy going a couple years ago he wanted some extra money and i showed him how. He just does a few houses here and there, but I helped him and stopped him from using high pressure on everything. Just call & be honest I say and dont lie or try to screw me once I do help. I like working with a couple of the locals we learn from each other

Houses $50 .........thats like $12.50 an hour, wow I can make that much

Driveways $20.............. that doesnt seem like enough, it hurts my back to much to be bending over all day and blasting away with that white tip. I'd have to charge at least $25

Yea thats a good point. I mean if i was actually experienced to the point where people were calling me for information I'd be glad to help out. Tons of people have been invaluable in giving me information as have all the forums such as this one. But if someone called, Id want them to say they are new and looking for information on starting their business instead of trying to just get prices. Chances are if they are asking for your equipment and pricing, they will just end up lowering everything 5% and go after all your accounts.

I like the idea of having the competition written down. In fact you might not even consider some of them competition. Like Celeste was saying, if you can develop a good relationship with people in your area they can probably help you out and vise versa. Rodney from this forum contacted me when he saw that I live in his town. Nice guy and I told him right away that doing decks Ive gotten several people ask about house washing. Since i'm specializing in wood care, now that I know Rodney does house washing, I can refer people to him.

Another idea Ive heard people do, which I imagine is kind of risky if its in your market, is having that new guy come and work a few jobs with you. Might find that they decide the work is too much and they end up not starting a business. Or they see how much work running the business but like the work and you could get a new employee.

Yea thats a good point. I mean if i was actually experienced to the point where people were calling me for information I'd be glad to help out. Tons of people have been invaluable in giving me information as have all the forums such as this one. But if someone called, Id want them to say they are new and looking for information on starting their business instead of trying to just get prices. Chances are if they are asking for your equipment and pricing, they will just end up lowering everything 5% and go after all your accounts.

I like the idea of having the competition written down. In fact you might not even consider some of them competition. Like Celeste was saying, if you can develop a good relationship with people in your area they can probably help you out and vise versa. Rodney from this forum contacted me when he saw that I live in his town. Nice guy and I told him right away that doing decks Ive gotten several people ask about house washing. Since i'm specializing in wood care, now that I know Rodney does house washing, I can refer people to him.

Another idea Ive heard people do, which I imagine is kind of risky if its in your market, is having that new guy come and work a few jobs with you. Might find that they decide the work is too much and they end up not starting a business. Or they see how much work running the business but like the work and you could get a new employee.

You have to remember that the PWNC is a valuable tool!! Use it :) If you live in the Carolinas and don't know what it is - call me!

Celeste

Hey Daniel, a woman called me a couple of days ago named "Diane" from watson, LA asking the same things she asked you... I'm wondering if it's worth me going to bid her house... ?? May just be a wasted trip, I'd like to shoot really low to scare her if she's trying to "play me" but it would suck if she really is an interested customer ... lol ... another day in paradise.

Hey Daniel, a woman called me a couple of days ago named "Diane" from watson, LA asking the same things she asked you... I'm wondering if it's worth me going to bid her house... ?? May just be a wasted trip, I'd like to shoot really low to scare her if she's trying to "play me" but it would suck if she really is an interested customer ... lol ... another day in paradise.

Well, if she actually gives you her address, that reduces the chances she might be connected to a competitor "fishing" for info....

But you never can tell....