Sign in to follow this  
PowerWashPro

Belt drive

I recently got rid of my briggs 4gpm PW and now I'm looking at gettin a trailer rig plus another portable 4gpm unit. Theres a karcher that comes with a 100ft reel built on already but I can only find it factory recon and not new ! Is it worth getting a belt driven ? I was thinking of getting an 8gpm machine if I could get one built to operate 2 wands at once. Who builds/sells the best in the va/md area ? I reemember someone telling me about a guy in PA that builds 'em. Some guidance please :)

Definately go with a belt drive. The pumps last a lot longer. I don't know very much about Karcher, but have heard that they are expensive to fix. I have not seen any machines that would be worth the investment. You can get an 8gpm machine to run 2 wands. As far as vendors in your area, I can't realy help you. Maybe someone more experienced can chime in now.

Karchers are good machines, but they can be expensive to fix as most of the time you can only get parts from them. I am a dealer for them.

A belt drive machine is the best route for longevity. If it is going to be rarely used or mainly used for a backup then you will probably be ok with a direct drive.

If you will be drawing from a tank, belt drive. I have found that with normal maintenance, a direct drive pump will last a long time. Given the large difference in price between belt and direct drive machines, I would think that you could replace/rebuild your pump several times before equaling the price. Personally, I have gotten about 1500 hours from several pumps.

I have an 8 gpm rig now (HydroTek) and run 5 gpm from one side for housewashing and 8 gpm from the other for drives. Volume is a wonderful thing!

I will be drawing from a tank when I get the rig built. This is gonna be an extra machine for gettin into spots where a big rig cant get in. Gonna use it mostly for wood and patios. I was looking at a pressure pro belt driven machine for $1450 that has a cat pump, 4gpm and I can get a 50 foot hose reel built in which is what I want for an extra hundred. Not to mention they sell accessories for way less then anyone when you buy a PW from them. What pump will suit my needs the best for something thats gonna be used for wood and running a surface cleaner a decent amount too?

13HP Honda Belt Drive Cat Pump<br>3500 psi @ 4.0 GPM<br><br>Free Shipping<br><br>Add Accessories From $5.00

Should I buy from a local dealer or order online ? I was thinking it would be nice to buy from the place thats gonna service it. I cant find any dealers around here other then places that sell direct drive machines. Thanks for your input so far fellas.

Steve

If you will be drawing from a tank, belt drive. I have found that with normal maintenance, a direct drive pump will last a long time. Given the large difference in price between belt and direct drive machines, I would think that you could replace/rebuild your pump several times before equaling the price. Personally, I have gotten about 1500 hours from several pumps.

I have an 8 gpm rig now (HydroTek) and run 5 gpm from one side for housewashing and 8 gpm from the other for drives. Volume is a wonderful thing!

This maybe a dumd ??? How do you get 13gpm from a 8 gpm machine?Id like to know that trick.

This maybe a dumd ??? How do you get 13gpm from a 8 gpm machine?Id like to know that trick.

Thought you had me, huh? lol Since I work alone, only one side is used at a time. When I do have a second person, I put 4 gpm on each side.

Steven,

The company in Pa. you are looking for is ACR Products, Inc. in Easton, Pa. Tele. (610) 253-8005, web site ACR Products, Easton PA - Power Washers, Waste Heaters, and Supplys. acrproducts.com Owners are Tom and Barbara Vogel, just terrific people to do business with. Tom can fabricate and install anything from a custom wand to a full trailer or box truck setup for pressure washing. Their prices are more than competitive and service is outstanding.

Better yet, if you can get away next weekend, ACR is hosting a 2 day roundtable for contractors. You'll get to meet fellow pressure washers, learn a lot, and maybe get some good advice on an ideal machine for your trailer setup.

Ok I called ACR but I think the Hydro-tek is more then I wanna spend. The pressure-pro machines have the exact same features minus the 4 wheels for less money. So I think I'm gonna order a pressure-pro from spraymall.com. The question is should I get the 4.5 gpm 3000 psi or the 3500 psi 4gpm. I cant decide what I want more, the extra psi or the extra half gallon per minute .

I do plan on using a surface cleaner sometimes and Im concerned that 3000psi wont be enough. I really wanna get something ordered today so I can have it by friday instead of waiting till next week. I need some input from more experienced people before I make a decision.

Steven,

It depends on the type of work you mainly perform. I only work on exterior wood. GPM is primary, as wood cannot take high pressure water without damage. For flatwork, house washes, fleets, etc., do not have a clue.

Don't discount the cost of a Hydro-tek. In my experience, its the best investment you can make in pressure washers.

Steve,

The skid that Russ has on sale looks to be a deal and it appears to be belt drive. Always go for the gpms - especially if you are going to run a surface cleaner.

I had a 12 volt rig for 4 years and only had a few issues - non of which were related to it being 12 volt - mostly design/engineering.

Steven,

I personally would never order a pressure washer on the internet. If you are in Woodbridge Virginia. My family owns a pressure washer dealership in Cloverdale (Near Roanoke) Virginia. They are dealer for LANDA and Mi-T-M. Mi-T-M has a unit the same as Pressure Pro for the same or less money and your purchasing from a local dealer. If you have any warranty issues you will not need to ship the product back to your internet source. If you have any questions feel free to call my wife or I. I have been the the pressure washing business for 21 years. Doing the washing and having my own dealership. We sell and train people in the Charlotte NC area. We would be more than glad to answer any questions.

I went ahead and ordered my PW and got exactly what I wanted for a great price. Now I dont know which surface cleaner to get . Should I stay with an 18 inch for a 4.5 gpm machine ? I found some good deals on a 20 inch stainless whirl away. It has 3 tips tho instead of 2, will that make a difference ?Should I stay away from surface cleaners with self lubricating bearings ? Seems like theres 2 basic categories. The less expensive models that you have to grease yourself or the high end models that dont need to be greased. Also the rebuild cost on them is twice the cost of the cheaper ones like the whirlaway. The model I been eye ballin is the 20 inch whirlaway with wheels on it. Theres also a model that has removable wheels also . What do you guys think ? Thanks again for the help.

Steve

The Whirl A Way brand is really a decent cleaner. IMO, the greaseable bearing is a plus. There's no way to maintain the sealed bearings on the other brands. I look it like gas engines and electric motors. Gas engines have bearings in an oil bath that gets changed regularly, while most motors use sealed bearings that have to be changed once they go bad.

Thanks for your insight Russ. I've narrowed my search to greaseable bearing SC's only at this point. Cost being a factor, it's my first surface cleaner so I dont wanna go overboard . What's everyone else out there using ?

The Whirl A Way is a good surface cleaner. If you are using a 4.5 gpm unit, you can easily run a 20" surface cleaner. I stock the 20" unit with removable wheels and offer it at an excellent price. Our #1 seller for mobile washers and the one I use, is the 28" Big Guy. I would not consider a unit with 3 spray bars, as you don't have enough gpm! Feel free to give me a call and I will be glad to answer any questions. We can get any surface cleaner that you want.

Ok I called ACR but I think the Hydro-tek is more then I wanna spend. The pressure-pro machines have the exact same features minus the 4 wheels for less money. So I think I'm gonna order a pressure-pro from spraymall.com.

It is more than the parts used, the assembly can affect reliability.

We have a couple of Hydrotek skids. When we got the first one, we felt it was more than we wanted to spend too. When we got the second one we didn't feel that way. If this is your first industrial machine ( not a box store one) I understand your hesitancy. I would suggest looking at a few different machines and see what is going to best suit you. We have heard very good things about several manufacturers. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples, look at spec sheets for each machine you are considering so you can see side by side what you are getting or missing. We did that and it really helped us to choose.

Beth :cup: :groovy3:

p.s. we are not that far from you - if you want to come look at our units once we take them out of winterization you are welcome to do it, pull the trigger and see how they feel. Let me know :)

Hey Beth thanks for the reply. Thats one great thing about this site , how everyone works together instead of competing. I'd love to come and see the machines you're using and see how they feel to operate . I'll stay in touch . Do you have any suggestions for a 20 or 22 inch surface cleaner ? Thanks again for your ideas everyone, its much appreciated.

Steve

We have a Whisper Washer we got back in 1999 that still runs like a champ. For us one unit is enough since we do mainly wood and not too much concrete... You can play with that too if you like. Are you going up to the ACR round table this weekend?

Beth :sunshine: :groovy3:

I wont be able to make it this weekend. I'm expecting a car I just bought to be shipped to my home sometime this weekend. My 4.5gpm should be here any day now too. I'm already startin to think I should have gotten a 5.5gpm. I'll just use this till it pays for itself then upgrade and keep this one for throwing soap :)