Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

Making the x-jet easier to use

Chem supply to x-jet  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Chem supply to x-jet

Question

I do hear of all these complaints of people hating lugging their container of chems around when using an x-jet.. so I improvised..

I took a 3 gallon backpack sprayer I had gotten from TSC and cut the hose from the bottom feed and clamped the opening off. Then at the top there was a rubber vent insert which I removed and using a 1/2 inch drillbit opened up to fit the existing hose that came with the backpack sprayer, fed it thru the hole I had created to sit inside the container. ""NOTE" do not make the hole too big or you will have chemicals spilling/seeping thru the hole opening during sloshing, I even applied an epoxy around the opening to seal any small holes that may have been there." I then took a barrel filter that came with a downstream injector that I had and clamped it to the end of the hose which sits inside the continer,as the strainer that comes with the x-jet is AWFULLY BIG and undesirable as it didn't fit inside anything besides a 5 gallon bucket. I then shortened the hose running from the on/off valve to the container leaving it nearly at wasteline for instant/easy access, and kept the hose from the opposite outlet side of the on/off valve the same length to the x-jet chemical inlet.

Downsides--

1.) If you don't have a good back it's not doing you much justice/ I'm 26 and still have a few good vertebre left back there! =)

2.) Running with no proportioner you will siphon 3 gallons fairly quickly but I've been able to manage running a stronger solution with a proportioner and great results. A (+) is while using the backpack you are able to with a quick shimmy tell how much solution is left in your container, leaving you able to judge how much time is left before refill.

3.) After running out of solution in the backpack you still have to refill but I have found this not unreasonable as I have complete mobility requiring only using the quick connect to disengage the x-jet from my wand and I'm free from all other equipment.

4.) Lack of ability to carry more than 3 gallons of chemicals, but due to the fact that I notice some lugging around 5 gallon buckets it's not nearly a bad trade off. "no hoses deciding to jump out of the bucket when your in the middle of a job.

I don't believe in taking shortcuts when doing jobs, however I do believe that making my equipment work easier for me will essentially make my job at hand less of a challenge. If anyone decides to try the same setup, or has the same setup let me know how it's worked out for you.

Here's a few pics of what I did

post-2746-137772175367_thumb.jpg

post-2746-137772175378_thumb.jpg

81 answers to this question

Good job, its that kind of ingenuity that will make you more efficient as you go. It seems you have solved a couple of shortcomings to the X-Jet. Play with your solution and proportioners even more. If you can, get it to where you don't need to refill at all on a smaller house.

Ken I don't know if you remember me or not, but I've spoke with you a little bit on another forum "PWN". Your guidance has been wonderful and look forward to learning more.

Yes I've found by mixing my solution stronger I can usually get by with 1 fill, on a moderatly dirty small house. yet I also make the batch in a 5 gallon bucket and leave the bucket on site with me not too far away to eliminate going back to my vehicle to refill.. so it's not terribly bad..

for my next idea I'm working on using a simmilar setup but being able to use 2 flexible chemical bladders each with a 1 way valve going into a 2-1 selection connecting valve and using the stock sprayer and a dial being able to select between the 2 chemicals such as a gutter solution and a general purpose pre-treater or whatever you like... as long as the 2 chemicals are compatable without deadly or harsh reactions due to the possibility of a bladder leaking or bursting.

As long as I allow for adequate flush between chemicals it would allow me to have more of a choice when selecting chemicals on the fly, hence leaving me with less walkback time

That is really a good idea! Kind of like breathing new life into the X-Jet. I guess if you had 2 of the backpack sprayers, you could always have a helper bring you another while you are working or re-fill the one while you keep working. The bucket and hose is the only thing I do not like about my X-Jet. Again, what a great idea.

Nice job. No one loves their xjet more than me. I have only one concern about any spillage. It would be in direct contact with your skin, (seaping through your clothes of course). Is this a " surefire" setup that will not pose concern that would cause a person to lose focus on the job at hand by running to rinse the backside of the body? The fact that you are using proportioners says that the chem in the tank would be at a higher strength.

I have heard of people trying this method and getting seriously burned from chem spillage.

I like it though. Have always loved the idea. Just haven't seen one that has had great success without injury. Even some on this site have mentioned this style of xjet application and regreted it.

Have you had any issues with chems on your skin yet.

Again, I love the setup, just hate,hypochlorite, hydroxide, oxalic, burns.

I bet this turns into a great thread. If this works out for you, manufacturing the product might be in your future as an extention of your business.

Good luck and keep us posted on it's reliability.

ILMXJ

good idea, I've been experimenting myself. This year I'm using a 15gal container strapped to a dolly with inflatable tires, so 1 fillup will cover the whole house. I'm hoping that i can just wheel it around with me. I wanted to set up a hose reel with the x-jet line and have my 35 gal container full on my trailer, but it would be a pain to draw 100' of chem and then flush it.

Jamie, I have used that setup before as well. 15 gal bungeed to a two wheeler with a very small hose reel attached to the top of the two wheeler.

The 15 is very cumbersome and heavy to roll around. Only used this setup to kill a 60 town home project. It worked great. My mix would cover 3 of the townhomes in one sitting. For resi's I use a 6 gal container and adjust he mix. It works great. Curious now though..... Does it really take a 15 gal drum to do 1 house wash. If so, that seems like too much mix for a resi unless you are weakening the mix. I have found a happy medium with my cart setup. I love it. It is the best setup so far. I don't use a wand for resi's, just the xjet attached to a gun with trigger. Roll the cart and shoot from the hip. NEVER had a problem reaching the heights either.

yes folks.......

ILMXJ

spillage was taken care of by using a rubber/epoxy to completly enclose where the hose is inserted into the top. there is also a rubber seal in the cap where it meets the container, I am not affraid to use this applications process over and over again due to the fact that "user error can be corrected by common sence".. After every refill i ensure that the top is completly sealed by tipping it if i ever see any chem's comming out. well..i'm sure not going to be dumb enough to ignore it.. but I've used this for over a month and not 1 problem yet, I am actually considering based on your post to use a rubber grommet on another one instead of a hole with epoxy.. but actually I'm thinking the epoxy is a safer seal as it totally encloses the hose and hole. when in doubt one can always wear a rain coat!!! =) .. I tried the dolly but it was way too big and gawdy.

If you get abot 20 more feet of x -jet line, you can usually get 2 sides of a split level house from 1 corner. Thus the 15 gallon jug on a hand cart is how I use my x-jet. I also have a helper so it does make it easier. I like this set up because I know I'm not going to run out of house wash

I was gonna say, my helper will be the one lugging around the handcart. I get some very big houses in my area so 15 gal wouldn't be far fetched. Now that i think about it, ive never even touched the proportioners, I think i even threw them away, but now that I think about it, that would be smarter making the chems strong and drawing less. It's funny how you do things for years and one day you just get smacked in the face with a better method. Just goes to show, no matter how much you think you know, there's always something to learn!

If you get abot 20 more feet of x -jet line, you can usually get 2 sides of a split level house from 1 corner. Thus the 15 gallon jug on a hand cart is how I use my x-jet. I also have a helper so it does make it easier. I like this set up because I know I'm not going to run out of house wash

I guess I still lug the 5 gal bucket around, but I got a bit more hose and can usually reach most of one side of a house. Cuts down on the bucket moving some.

When I used the Xjet, the 15 gallon drum on a hand cart was the method I liked the most. It was nice to do a couple sides of the house without moving the cart. I had 50' of hose attatched to the drum and parked it at the corner of the house. Still didn't like the high pressure hose and xjet hose always getting tangled, so went to downstreaming and will never go back.

Many of the ways listed here are excellent adaptions to specific needs for certain situations. I just wanted to point-out that there is a pail designed for use with the X-jet. It is 5 gals. Has a lid for no spilliage, and once you remove the strainer, the hose attaches to a hose barb - so no more hose coming out of bucket when drawing chems. Sure, you still have to carry a bucket, but 5 gals isn't that hard to deal with. You can fill the bucket with concentrate, use the proportioners, and if chems are left at end of job, put the bucket right in your vehical with no spillage worries. And yes, we do sell it. See it on our web-site, or contact me for more info. Have a Sun brite day!

I made an X-jet bucket with a free square fiver (I keep several on hand) from the car wash, drilled cap out (it's already threaded)bought a drop tube and hose barb from farm supply store, used hose that came with x-jet and found a 3/8 barbed shut-off on ebay. Total cost...about $10.

For me: 5 gallon bucket, black proportioner, 50ft hose. Moving is a breeze. Bungee the bucket to a hand cart and go. Placed on a corner, it does 2 sides w/o a move. One bucket does a whole house. Smaller houses use 3gals.

As for the backpack: It's a great idea, but a trip over a root could put you on your face and get the back of your head (and eyes, ears, mouth) soaked in bleach. I have scars on my legs from sloshed 12% (pouring) and I long ago vowed that 12% (or any caustic/corrosive) never comes above knee level unless it is inside a hose being pumped.

I'm not trying to hijack, but you guys who have helpers on house wash jobs got me wondering. One big reason for the x-jet is eliminating the need for a helper. The x-jet IS your helper. Everything we do is a one man show - except for fleet washing and deck staining. I'm just curious.

that's a great ideer man, but there is NO WAY I'd strap chems on my back...this is my GP 5000 foamer setup...I have a bucket underneath to catch any spilled chems....

yeah, yeah, I know it's not an x-jet, but my point is the dolly is the best method in my humble opinion..

post-1756-137772175838_thumb.gif

Philip, that is a good idea. 1 bucket per house. What's your mix for that black proportioner?

2 gal bleach, 2 gal Citrus Cleaner, 2qts other stuff, top off with water.

I have a bucket underneath to catch any spilled chems....

My equipment is very similar and it works great. One question, though. Do think it's better to let the ice sit in the water, or do you drain it off? ;)

I like it. I also like the Top Secret info blocked out. I totally understand. I got the last piece today to build mine. I will post pics when it is done. I need to get a camcorder to Fear The Foam.

15 gal tank on cart with large inflatable wheels works great and no spillage. the hose that comes with the x-jet is not long enough so I bought a 50 ft hose. The 5 gal enclosed pail that sunbrite sells works great for applying wax after the house wash.