Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

New Trucks and Gear

I have to get serious about upgrading my equipment as everything is starting to show its age. You guys are way better at this stuff than I am. Given the following parameters what would you recommend for vehicles and machine? If you wouldn't mind also recommend reserve tank size.

Vehicle One: Commercial/Residential duty. Scope of work includes 75% residential housewashing and concrete. I want something upgradable to larger flatwork jobs and increased commercial. Min flow would be 10 gpm and two men should be able to wash simultaneously.

Vehicle Two: Deck Washing. Again a two man setup that can offer simultaneous washing capability. This vehicle just needs cold water (or am I being shortsighted?) No surface cleaners. Should hold extension wands up to 8' and have accessible ladder racks.

Vehicle Three: 4-5 year old vehicle with good gas mileage. Maintenance deck washing and stain rig. Will house 4 gpm CW portable and small motored high flow stain pump. I have three deck tones so I was thinking of also having three 50 gallon tanks to carry each.

I am looking for all self-contained vehicles to be driven by employees so no trailers.

Ken,

I have what you want ! You have seen my trucks ??? and my machines are exactly what you said.

Just buy me out with my customer base. I will even sell you our home 5Broom 4Bath w/hot tub and pool all on 5arc wooded and 1,000 feet of golf course frontage hole #12 of CC. Lots of deer and turkey and shop on property.

I'm out of here. Its all yours baby!

Oh, Wife and kids not included, but dogs and cats are!

Ken,

I'm just about done in the vehicle upgrade dept. this year. Will be picking up a new '07 Ford E-250 extended cargo van late today or tomorrow. Looked around for something decent used but with prices in the 15 - 20K range, thought it a better deal overall to go new.

Up through I think April 7th, Ford Credit is giving money away. Can't beat 2.9% 60 month financing. With a round of negotiation, finalized on 2.5K off MSRP. Even got a fresh $87 tank full of gas from the dealer. I'm happy.

As far as PW setups, you just have to hook up with Tom and Barbara Vogel of ACR Products. Tom's a wiz at this stuff, carries both new and used everything, and they are just a great team to help your business. They are close, almost local, and I drive up at times to give Barbara a hug or two! Seriously, ACR is a true partner in my wood restoration business. I don't think I would have survived the first few years without them.

Tony, you don't want to sell. You'd drive your wife crazy with too much time on your hands ;-)

Rick, if I can pull the trigger on this, Tom is where I will most likely get the equipment. Congrats on the new van. You gonna bring it up next Friday?

Ken,

Not sure, the truck is probably a gas pig with the 5.4L V-8. I want to get it logo'ed and lettered up ASAP if I can afford it. Need a design and a good local guy who does gold leaf work.

Still don't have the final financing in place, should be done today. Ford Credit has a bit of a problem with Windsor WoodCare LLC. My little business has no credit history, having been self financing the past 5 years. Never had to borrow a dime on this business. I know my wife and I will have to sign as guarantors on the loan, and we have a stellar credit rating personally. But the truck is being registered as a commercial vehicle and I'd like to start establishing company credeit. Will finance the whole thing, including tax and tags if they allow. After all, 2.9 over 5 years is giving money away!

Ken,

Vans are nice, but you may wish to compare the costs and safety variables against using a 3/4 ton truck with a contractor cap on it...not a big fancy cap, a fiberglass type, one that has operating doors on the sides for access.

Maintenance on the NPR was very expensive. Rear end at 118,000 was $3000. Just the pm's for the NPR cost around $350 every 4500 miles. When I looked at Sprinters a few months back everything about them was great. The maintenance is next to nothing, oil changes every 10,000 miles and fuel mileage is around 25 mpg loaded. The cost of the Sprinter was the reason I didn't buy one. If I were driving it daily I would get one, but letting my guys tear up a $37,000 work van would **** me off. My latest work vehicle I decided to go with a Chevy 2500 extended van that cost WAY LESS that they can tear up.

If your a one man show buy new and take care of it. If you run multiple crews I have learned to buy used, pay cash for your vehicles and dont worry about them damaging it because its going to happen.

My NPR is nice and big, BUT VERY expensive to fix. If you're gonna get one, get one that's pretty new.

In over two million miles of commercial driving, the only thing I've ever wrecked was an NPR. The company had decided that they couldn't afford the down-time to have recall brakework done, and never told us drivers about the recall. I got my points back and was cleared of fault after that came out.

These are my impressions circa '92, well within my initial quarter million miles:

1. 5-speed was good, and easy on the left leg, but also easy to put in reverse rather than 1st.

2. Engine brake rocked! I could speed at 80 on any road, and recover quickly by lifting my foot. (no brakelights to alert constabulary aft my position)

3. Steering was overboosted and darty.

4. Brakes were total dreck. Recalls for various problems. ALL were accident contributors across the world.

5. Light front end makes load balance and centers of gravity paramount knowledge. We lost many loads off the tail, especially on steep-hill starts. (Think wheelies, I'm not joking)

6. EXTREMELY sensitive to overload. Being near the boundary not adviseable in this rig. Very unpredictable handling at capacity margins.

7. Lots of power and speed (for a truck) on little fuel.

8. Not a beginner's rig, nor advisable for drivers that are easily distracted or wild. THESE LITTLE TRUCKS DO NOT FORGIVE!

9. Ride like a pogo stick, wear a belt or you will leave the driver's seat. I sometimes wore a hardhat.

10. Attentive, careful drivers can find these handy little rides to be enjoyable, manoverable, and effective.

We operated stakebeds, so some of this may not apply. I also understand that a great deal of engineering has been utilized to tame these little boogers. I actually rather enjoyed them, and would probably own one, if the price was attractive.

Check Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale. if you want to see what the US truckmarket is like. It is searchable and a bit clunky, but very useful for comparing value and price.

A huge factor is how much do you want to spend and where do you plan on keeping all of these vehicle and equipment??

You could get some great used box trucks for your first choices and set them up with what you need in there. For commercial flat work I would want something that can hold a lot cause you may need a large water tank in there for sites that don't have a water connection or they can't keep up with a 10gpm + machine.

The second one I would go with maybe a Ford E-350 extended cargo van that can carry alot and keep it all safe from the weather and the bad guys(Unless they just steel Van).

The last one is a tough one cause your looking for decent gas mileage yet you may be carrying 3-50 gal tanks full of stain so that over 1400lbs there and you still want decent mileage. I would look for a Diesel something with this. Maybe a good used Diesel pick up truck like a Ford f-250 or for even better gas mileage a Dodge pick up truck with the Cummins diesel. Since diesel engines go along way I would maybe think to buy one 10 yrs old and in good shape so you dont pay to much. Find one with a cap and you'll be even better off.

The first place I would look to go to get some idea's on how much you need to spend would be eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

John, excellent advice thank you for taking the time to post. When I read prices and maintenance costs I get a lump in my throat. Everything we use now is owned outright and maintenance costs have actually been pretty low. Gas mileage and age of vehicles (mid 90's) is what has spawned my quest for updated vehicles for '08. I don't want to start adding big nuts with new vehicles. My experience thus far has been with box trucks and vans. I like the Sprinters.

Rod and Beth, you guys have one right? Any input?

Maybe a good used Diesel pick up truck like a Ford f-250 or for even better gas mileage a Dodge pick up truck with the Cummins diesel.

John T. did you use a chip for better fuel economy on the Dodge. I have an 03 F-250 Diesel that gets great mpg but our 05 Dodge Diesel is terrible on mpg. 13 empty and 12 pulling a trailer.

Hey guys,

This might be off subject from Ken's post, but I have a question.

Since you are talking about diesel and the computer chips let me ask for some advice.

I have a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab with the turbo diesel engine. The truck now has about 15,000 miles on it and I get a shi**y 12mpg to 15mpg on the highway. Would a computer chip make a difference? I don't need more power or speed just better mpg.

I was told that after a certain break in mileage the mpg will get better. Is this true and if so at what type of mileage does it get better.

My last Dodge had the Hemi and it got 20mpg to 24mpg on the hwy. I always thought the diesel did good for hwy travel???????????

Thanks for advice

That "I was told..." sounds familar. I have a 7.3 F550 and was told the same thing. 11mpg when new...11mpg after 64K, I guess it needs more break in miles, hopefully 65k will be the magic number. Its for sale by the way.

Anthony, I have an 05 Dodge with the H.O. Diesel. When it was new I got 12 mpg empty, so I put the Bully Dog system on it and now I get 13 mpg empty. After 47000 miles and a chip I'm still at a crappy 13 mpg. My F 250 Diesel does great 18 mpg with a 65 gallon water tank in the rear along with hot water unit and hose reels (out of town truck). When we pull a trailer unit with it we still get 15 mpg and this is with no chip, so for me in the future I'm going Ford all the way. By the way we just hit 60,000 miles with the Ford.

I don't know what the answer is here with the Dodge and the Fords. I have a Ford f-350 diesel that get about 13 mpg and about 15 highway..My Dodge Dually which has the cummins diesel and added high power injectors that gives it a 100 more horse power causing it to burn more fuel gets about 14 mpg and 18 mpg highway. My single bed 97 dodge dually 3500(Since sold) had the cummins diesel and I use to get about 16mpg and 20-21 highway. I always assumed I got more mpg from the cummins diesel because it was a 6 cylinder.