Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

sikkens

Question

Im trying to help a painting contractor buddy on an IPE deck. he was going to clean and sand so the Ipe would absorb the stain. Ive convinced him to clean and brighten instead of sanding.

His local paint supplier sells Sikkens Cetol DEK. Im trying to talk him into WTW. What gan you guys tell me about the Sikkens that I can use to change his mind.

11 answers to this question

Jon,

Don't do it.

Call Rod.

He's applied Cetol DEK to many decks over the years, but never, ever to ipe.

Think thin not thick. Ipe is an annual maintenance wood, no matter how you slice it.

Beth

Cetol dek will not work on Ipe' unless you use acetone to prime it with and only small sections you can coat within about 15 minutes.

WTW will work without the prime and will set up faster.

You can call me or have your friend call...my # is in the signature.

Rod!~

I had a lot of problems on cedar decks it will peel, Funny on most pressure treated decks it last and looks good, I will not sell it any more-Stay away.

WTW was just approved by a major ipe importer as their stain of choice after three years of testing. Have your friend call Russell and get the details.

Sikkens- never was there a more appropriate name for a family of stains....

Sikkens has such a great reputation - even when I go to homes with failing sikkens stains - people still talk about how much they love the stuff. Anyways - why not just put the acetone directly into the sikkens and then apply? Sort of like the principle behind 'bonding' primers - where they emulsify any surface they come into contact with before setting up.

Thanks guys, I knew the answers before I asked the question, just wanted to be able to show him.

Looking at the specs on Cetol DEK, 'you must coat all 6 sides' sounds like fun.

anyway, hes bringing me some scraps and Im going to show him this weekend.

Hes a painter, and knows nothing about wood care, but surprisingly gets a fair number of decks to do. Im going to try to convince him after this one to pass them all to me and Ill pass on all my painting jobs, (I hate painting with a passion, from my army days when we would paint the curbs to kill time.)

WTW was just approved by a major ipe importer as their stain of choice after three years of testing. Have your friend call Russell and get the details.

Sikkens- never was there a more appropriate name for a family of stains....

Well, what d' ya know. That is some good news for Russell. This is worthy of a press release so why not get the news out?

Rod!

Rod,

A time warp? Has not WTW only been available for ~18 months to date? Not WT, the original dry wood formula. WTW, the stain you can apply to wet wood.

And didn't ESI come out this year with a new stain made especially for hardwoods? Do not recall the name, but I believe Russell or someone posted about this on TGS. If ipe' is a hardwood, what do you say in the press release?