Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Cleaner loses an arm

While this is not pressure cleaning, it notes the importance of lock out for job safety. Some thing seem so minimal and people get so comfortable in their surrounding then bam, someone gets maimed or killed.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Nation -- Hershey worker loses arm in chocolate factory accident in California

Now you know how they came up with "Hugs"

Just shows how being TOO comfortable around equipment can bite you in the ass when least expected.

Shaved some hair off my fingers once when cutting trim...my 'comfort' level with the miter saw and a stuck blade guard almost limited my ability to count to 10

ACK that is terrible. As if loosing a limb isnt bad enough, but to have it pulled off.

Sounds like some OSHA violation there to me. Where were the lockouts on the machines electrical circuitry?

A proper lockout proceedure followed to the letter would have prevented this. The machine should NOT have been able to be powered on had a lockout tag been in place with her PERSONAL lock holding it on.

That's sad. I smell lawsuit.

Think this the plant that was about to be closed just South of me...for what reason I do not remember. She'll likely get state disability, full retirement, and her wages paid by Hershey now for rest of her days. What a trade off none would care to contemplate!!

Sounds like some OSHA violation there to me. Where were the lockouts on the machines electrical circuitry?

A proper lockout proceedure followed to the letter would have prevented this. The machine should NOT have been able to be powered on had a lockout tag been in place with her PERSONAL lock holding it on.

That's sad. I smell lawsuit.

I totally agree. They were in violation of OSHA. Lockouts are a must when working in machinery. I know if I were to work in or around machinery is not locked out at my clients I would lose my job so fast that I wouldn't even be able to say " But......" There is zero tolerance on our jobsites for this kind of stuff. Machinery is dangerous and only takes a few minutes to put a lock but you will have to live a lifetime without a limb if you don't.

Dan

I agree Dan. Can't even imagine something like that happening! Yikes.

On a different subject.....one of our workers at the beginning of the year was in an car accident. Apparently he was drinking and t-boned a car at an intersection. We found out about 3 weeks ago that the guy he hit actually passed due to the accident. Our worker was brought in and charged with vehicle manslaughter. He is looking at a minimum of 3 years.

Folks ~ life is too short!!