Sign in to follow this  
John T

$50,000 Start up for a new Org./Business plan

Question

I have $50,000 laying around to start another org. I also have some connections in the DC area that may help me get some grants put together for this org..The trick is to make this org a purely educational org.

I have a few people in mind to become its first president and no its not me. This person comes from an ever growing business and his reputation is spotless. Another Person I have in mind owns 4 officers and he's reputation is about as high as I've seen in this industry. Another person I have in mind is two females with one being pretty popular and another one that most of you don't know but she is pretty darn successful.

This will be a not for profit org. but the Board of Directors will be paid. This has to be done so this org. can run like a well oiled business. Members will be so motivated to make it to the top because of the benefits the top dogs shall receive. The members themselves will be getting a ton of benefits because of all the hard work that the BOD's will be doing considering that there getting paid and if one of these bod's slack off then there gone. There will be no week links. This will be a smooth oiled running machine with contacts in the DC area. This Org. also will be charity org. driven on some high profile cases. For something Like this I would be looking for a Ron ********** to take charge on this.

I would also look to recruit some of the leaders in other orgs. to possibly joining this team. This type people have dreams and I want to be the guy who can make these dreams happened by having the right people and connections in place.

Maybe $50.000 is not enough start up capital to do this. The more I look at a $100.000 would be a better jump start but for me to do that I would have to hit some of my credit cards pretty good considering I have about 60 of them with nothing on them but alot of high credit limits.

To name names these are some of the guys I would look to meet somewhere and to hammer this out. Brian Penny PWNA VP, Everett Abrams PWNA Pres. Russel Cissel WRAPI founder, Carlos Wrapi Investor, Beth Borrego Monster bb owner, Micheal Hindeliter a leader with a resume second to none. Jim Grady past president of the IWCA, Ken Fenner with his imaginative mind,Allan from Preferred Pressure in Cali to lead on Reclamation issues, Tony Szabo for his leadership and dedication abilities, Bill Clemmons with his cutting edge technology,Jean Hendricks for her passion to get the job done, Joe Walters because of his rock solid support for this org. Cujo Cooley for stepping up to the plate when he has to. Robb Huffman for his upbeat personality who believes in getting things done with a positive attitude. Celeste Gorthorp for her ability to organized(If she lets me knock off the boulder on he shoulder). There are so many other people I can think of but this post may just get way to long.. Scott Karvonin to become a believer and to help bring in ones who weren't. Oh yea Robert Hindeliter should be asked also because of his legiondary status in this industry.

Also keep in mind that I had a 18hr day today and a 24 hour day tomorrow to make money so I may be rambling a little.

As for that $50,000 its geared to fixing my house and my wife would shoot me if I swiped that money out from under my bed shhhhhh.

Just an Idea...........

8 answers to this question

John,

$50K is probably not nearly enough. It might get you some interest from other venture capitalists whom could match funds but I'm guessing $500K might be a more accurate number if not also a bit conservative.

I respect and admire your willingness to better this industry but this is not the right time. The industry isn't sure what it wants or needs. Something good is going to be borne of these round tables. $50K is a lot of money, I'd hate to see you sink your heart into something that has so many factors going against it.

50k will not carry the load from start to finish but it will certainly get the education org through it's exploritorial phase in determining how the org. can benefit this industry ~ not how the industry can benefit the org.

I have a great deal of respect for Mr. Fenner but disagree with his point when he says this is not the right time. Anytime is the right time to help steer an industry in the right direction.

To validate my point, we are seeing power washing companies across this land continually being attracted to well planned out round tables. One of the many reasons for this is that these companies are yearning for progress/direction and are getting this through these venues! The round tables are filling a void and I would suspect that over the years could be represented all across the United States.

So ~ if the industry was not ready and/or wasn's sure what it wanted I would venture to say that the success of the round tables would be short lived. From what I read on the BBS and in my discussions with folks that are directly involved with the round tables they appear to have been able to "tap into" and sustain the interest of the power wash companies that attend them on a regular basis.

Just my .02

John is excited here and something has got his underwear on fire!

Do what you do best here, John. You are to strong willed to fail at anything.

He will make the right decision because of the passion he has for our industry. I know of his excitement and I admire to be around people like him and others he has mentioned.

Pull up your skirt and show us what you got Buddy!

John is excited here and something has got his underwear on fire!

Do what you do best here, John. You are to strong willed to fail at anything.

He will make the right decision because of the passion he has for our industry. I know of his excitement and I admire to be around people like him and others he has mentioned.

Pull up your skirt and show us what you got Buddy!

Money to burn..I wish:) Just spewing idea's. Forever rattling my brain to come up with that all allusive answer as to what can really work. I am searching and searching. One day maybe I'll figure it out. I do know one thing whatever it is its going to take some decent amount of start up capital...or..maybe its just something that I can get another org. to take up. You came up with that great class Powerwashing 101 with the PWNA..That was a class act. I would like to come up with something that can make an organization grow..or just come up with something all together new and cutting edge....Retiring soon.

The PWNA has done so much for myself and my business in the past by just attending the conventions alone. There are several people on these bbs that are so anti Pwna, which may have there reasons and I was too before I ever went to a convention.

Once I went to a full blown out Pwna convention it changed my outlook and our business has grown to sales of between $40,000 up to $100,000 in a month. Being that said we only work nine months in a year and have been taking winters off for about the last 10years now. We also have expenses that eats up the gross sales also. Don't let the numbers impress you too much!

Becoming a Pwna BOD under Doc's term and also with John T on the board, I wanted to give back to the industry. So I wanted to create a class to help the new guy in the pressure washing profession. This is why I offered the idea of PRESSURE WASHING 101 to the BOD. (Everett came up with the name) When I started in 1991 I had no help and knew of nobody alike in the industry where I could go for help.

This is why I wanted to give back to help the newbie and a chance to give back to the industry and the Pwna.

Because of Pwna we are now a National company offering pressure washing services in 10 States that surround Illinois plus.

Sorry to bore you with my Bio. But to all reading this post will now understand mine and John T's relationship.

Just take off the blinders off to see your options with this org. once and put the blinders back on if you wish. I took my blinders off and it helped us grow.

John and I are both off the BOD position now, because its time for new blood to do what we did for our terms.

The bbs's are a great resource for finding information and getting information from experience people, but you need more than that to have your business's grow. Getting out to meet these INDUSTRY LEADERS, SUPPLIERS, MANAFUCTURES, its much more important than behind the computer screen.

This is just my opinion and some may disagree, but I encourage you to do both.

Hands on "if you will" but in a business informational type of way.

Can we all get together with John T. and have a huge PARTY and spend his $50,000 doing so?

Call it a "RT-POJT" "Round Table Party On John T" ?????????