Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

WARNING....Has this happened to you too?

Question

Hello Everyone, I have a post that is difficult to type as it stirs a lot emotion and feelings and probably will with others also. This post is not intened to upset anyone but make you think about your future in your business. I will also post this to other boards that I visit. I was about to do a job the other day and the customer started asking a lot of questions about chemicals, where I get them, prices, and started naming names that sounded very familiar. She asked me to answer something but asked me to go inside her living room where she had a laptop opened to The Grime Scene. She started asking questions about my cleaning chemicals, roof cleaning chemicals and wood restoration chemicals and why am I charging here the prices I am charging. I just did not know what to say. I just stood there for a moment quiet and she mentioned that "Thanks to this bbs, I could go buy the machine, chemicals and do it all myself and save a lot of money and show my friends who visit all the time my new skills." This was very upsetting and I still did not know what to say. I mentioned that I do travel all over getting experience and training from professionals from around the country and you could buy a machine but you might not know exactly how to do it. I was trying very hard not to argue with her. She said " It is telling me right here how to do everything I need to know so why do I need you?" I mentioned that she could purchase or rent the machine but if you have no experience with chemicals, there could be a very serious reaction if you mix the wrong things or spill something. She said she read about the MSDS and in a lot of the letters people wrote there were a lot of answers on how to do it all. She said she just did a search on pressure washing and found things from this bbs and started reading and telling her friends. I said that I need to start work because I have another job to do after this one and I do not want to be late to that one. She said she needs to reconsider about the price. I told her we had a deal and she said it was a fair price. She said now she knows how to do it thanks to the site and will do her next projects herself. I asked her if she wanted me to do the job because if not, there is no reason for me to be there and I can be early to my next job. She said I could do it if I take off $100 dollars off the whole job. Since I am saving up for Disney World, I said ok but only this time. I really wanted to just walk away but the thought of seeing my son sad about the trip just broke my heart. I was not happy. How could this happen? I thought all the things we talk about here are private from regular people? Can anyone just start reading here? What about the other forums on other boards? I have discussed a lot of things here that I thought were private and not for my friends and neighbors to read. I am wondering how could this happen? I thought you had to register to read this stuff. Well The Grime Scene was right there on her laptop. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else? If this is a trend, this will cost us a lot of money in the long run. I price my jobs very fair and reasonable. I am not out to rip anyone off or do anything unethical. I just do not understand how this can happen. Can someone explain how my neighbors and customers can read my posts without registering? OR can they register and read the posts? I really thought everything here was confidential and out of the public eye. I just do not know what to say. I was speechless when I saw her computer. Can someone explain to me about how this could happen? When I got home, I picked up a magazine to read and what do you know? There is an article on Wood Restoration in The Family Handyman on page 48 titled "Deck Rescue, Make your old, shabby deck look like new." They mention in the 3rd paragraph that the cost of rejuvenating an average sized deck is about $250.00. I read the article and they have good information and know what chemicals to use and some tips I thought only the pro's knew. I do not know where they got their info from but it sounded like they knew a pro and asked a lot of questions. I hope the Deck people do not lose any business. I am not trying to blame anyone on what happened to me but I am wondering how someone with very little knowledge on computers can access the board and forums when I thought you had to register to view them. I am hurt over losing the money and probably a customer but if more people start doing this, we all might start losing money and customers and I know a lot of you out there have a lot more invested in your companies than I do. I hate to ramble on and on but What do you do when a customer does that to you? I hope more people do not access the forums and learn how to do things that it took some of you many years and tens of thousands of dollars to learn along with blood, sweat and tears. This is people's jobs and careers we are talking about here and not just a fluke. This coud be a start of a trend most of us do not want to see. This was just a housewash, what if it were a Deck, Log Cabin, Concrete Restoration, Roof Cleaning or Arbor job? Just something to think about thats all.

40 answers to this question

Scott,

You posted:

I tried to have this conversation with Rick Petry in the above thread and I don't think he ever grasped what I was saying.

I think I understood, just did not completely agree. There are many web sites where a homeowner can learn to do just about any type of maintenance or trade work, from building a new house to doing a complete kitchen renovation. Has this put building contractors out of business?

I sympathize with Christopher's one experience. Not pleasant. I had something not too different happen to me last year regarding RS stain as opposed to WTW. But it was an educated customer and after fully explaining the differences between the two products and why I use RS, sold the job. All in all, I would rather deal with an educated customer.

If its a DIY'er, coming here to learn, more power to 'em. Makes my job easier the next time when many will hire out. At least the wood may have been prepped and stained correctly.

The upside is the jobs I have booked in the past few years, where local customers have found me due to my location on my signature line. Will be starting a large cedar restoration the 2nd week in May from a "guest" here on TGS.

My contention is that due to this great tech innovation of the internet, information is now easy to get and its a wonderful revolution. It has helped my business and myself personally in so many ways.

Imagine if you had looked at a job, and then came here for advice from others. The client sees your post and now you have ZERO credibility with them because you had to ask for help because you had never encountered that before.

I disagree. I have MORE credibility, because I've shown the customer that if I DO run into something I don't know how to do, are aren't quite sure which is the right way to go, etc etc, that I'll take the time to poll OTHER experienced contractors and get some guidance rather than just grabbing a wand and having a go at it like so many of us have done in the past.

I have told customers I don't quite know what will take care of a particular situation but that by the time I get there to do the job, I'll have checked with my contractor friends across the country and found a way if one exists.

I have customers that try to 'beat me down' on occasion. I have learned to walk away. Even from some long term customers. The first one was hard to deal with but I knew it was right. As many have said it is not just having the equipment and the chemicals it is knowing how to use what and when. There are many jobs I can do without ever cranking my high pressure machine using the chem to properly clean. So why would a customer use me? Their time is more valuable for other things rather than the extra time required to DIY and risk damage from rookie mistakes. I bought an existing pressure washing business for several reasons but one of the most important was training. I missed out on many costly mistakes by learning from the previous owners.

I have DIY information on my web site. I welcome any of my customers to rent a pressure washer and do the job on their own. I would take odds that I get a call to do the job next year if not to finish what they started. Hopefully they will not have damaged anything (using high pressure on a roof... yep a homeowner did that, break the seals on dual pane windows, blow out screens, mangle a toe rinsing it with the high pressure tip).

One down side of taking over a business is that some clients have been grandfathered in at unrealistically low prices. The previous owner did not increase from the owner HE bought from. I wondered if some of the clients were just family or friends as it was just nowhere near even a market price. I went to a job, 4000 sq ft HEATED with a 3 car garage that was probably 800 sq ft minimum. My first time with this client but they had noted to my phone service that 'they always pay about $300' for the work. I got on site and there were 2 drives. An 8 space semi-circle in the front and a 10+ space winding drive to the back of the house. I could do one drive or the other in the price (which included a roof maintenance, house wash, patio, walkway; about 3-4 hours work minimum). I pulled off the job till I could clarify what was expected in the scope of work. The homeowner was expecting both drives for the price. I had other jobs that day so I moved on and contacted the client to clarify. They said that they had others interested in PW the property and would check around but had me send over an updated price. Based on my set prices the job should have been about $600 but I discounted some items to about $500. I did not hear back immediately but about 3 weeks later I got a call to come do the job for the new price. Reasonable customers will know that things do not cost what they used to. As a pressure washer my to immediate supplies, gas and chemicals have increased as much as 50 to 75 percent. The other items such as hoses, hardware and maintenance have also increased. My line is that I can not pull up to the gas station and tell them that I used to pay $2 a gallon for gas so roll the price back for me. I do not want to gouge anyone. I know I am not the cheapest and do not intend to be. Those guys are usually not professionals and just do it as a part time job without the same expenses as I have. They also have less experience. Pressure cleaning may not be 'rocket science' but we all know that every house can be different and experience, how to adapt to different conditions is required to be successful. This site helps educate but I would not let either a doctor or a mechanic provide service to me after just reading about how to do it on the internet and using me for their first practice run.

Lastly, I had a client that made me realize best about charging appropriately. I quoted him a price that was low in my estimation but I was in a beat down phase and was tired of defending my regular pricing. He told me that was too low and the amount that he made the check out for was actually what I would have normally charged (no input from me). He remarked that I needed to charge adequately (with my business costs in mind) to stay in business and he liked my work. I have since told customers that if they value my work, calling a company they can count on to be here the next year (this company has been cleaning since 1993) that I need to charge appropriately. That is not a ticket for me to over charge. I think I offer value for my customers. I know I do a great job as testimonials bear out. I am not satisfied if I do NOT do above average work and I stand behind it by making it right if I have missed something. I know it could be a different situation for a start up but if you dig a hole by undercutting your service you will have a hard time of getting a good price out of those customers in the future when you realize what your expenses are (insurance, licensing, administrative services, etc.).

"my father is a television repair man, he's got an ultimate set of tools, I can fix it" anybody know what that's from? :D

my point- just because somebody has the tools don't make them a mechanic. There is a competitor of mine that has one serious freakin setup, I get a little excited just thinking about it...he's also the guy that did this!!! I would have told her to go for it, but your price will triple when I come back to fix your mess!

post-1756-137772178026_thumb.jpg

My line is that I can not pull up to the gas station and tell them that I used to pay $2 a gallon for gas so roll the price back for me.

I don't know that comparing your increase in prices to that of the oil companies' increase in gas prices is a wise thing to do these days! Many feel the oil companies ARE gouging us with $3.00+ gas prices

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

OMG!..So check it out. Was considering shirt colors to do company logos on today and I says to ma lady I'll look more attractive and clean like a pool boy if I go with the bright baby blue...must be some long lost repressed fantasy I got based around the pool scene in that movie.. Now I wonder if blue will go with the brunettes red bikini.. :)

man, we have a whole thread dedicated to that chick on another board....WOW..is all I can say.

So did you go with the baby blue? and does your lady know?

I don't know that comparing your increase in prices to that of the oil companies' increase in gas prices is a wise thing to do these days! Many feel the oil companies ARE gouging us with $3.00+ gas prices

Hear ya there Mike... been instinctively not falling into traps of justifying prices to customers in general. At some point the two wrongs don't make a right premise of not passing increases on to customer is going to be out the window though. Every year for at least the last few years we have been getting more and more institutionalized to the higher prices to the point of most folk not even batting an eye at the $3+ prices. Likely fair to say the increased amounts are pretty much here to stay don't ya think? The increased portion of the price per gal. surley is a legit expense that my out turned pockets can attest to and should be figured in to what we charge. I can't much call the increases a fad that disappears the same as it always used to due to less traveling, or off season, etc. . It used to be the prices went up between memorial day and labor day then tapered off. It's all screwy now though in that it stays higher longer and goes up earlier. Hardly can't call the majority of the time the prices as being lower outside the summer months.. Is all part of being institutionalized by the Man.. :)

The upside is the jobs I have booked in the past few years, where local customers have found me due to my location on my signature line. Will be starting a large cedar restoration the 2nd week in May from a "guest" here on TGS.

In this age of the internet, one can never know who may find us here and look to see who is in their area available for hire. If you don't make a good impression here with your posting, you may not get the call.

As Christopher has brought up, a customer used it as a bargaining chip against him and being unprepared for the encounter missed an opportunity but kept his prices up. this is becoming a trend as we ourselves have had numerous customers this year who have brought up that they have read about things and done some research and eluded to this bbs.

In our area in particular, there are quite a number of well educated people we service of whom are researchers by the very nature of their work and it comes as no surprise when we are tested on our knowledge and basis for our recommendations with much of what has been posted on the internet in order to validate what they have read and to sort out the good from the undesirable.

Ultimately, it reflects on all of us what a prospect reads before calling.

Food for thought...

Ask yourself this: Has your phone rang less? or more? Has the quality of your customer responses gone up demographically in terms of wealth or down?

Now, ask yourself this one: Did I post something questionable or unethical somewhere that could attribute to this?

The answers you come up with can be an indicator especially if you are a frequent poster or just a member who does not post much at all. Then you need to decide which is best for you and your business and what you need to change in order to present a better image towards those who may find you here.

Rod!~

Good Point Mike....We own a Pressure Washing Biz,But i Still Pay someone Else to do my driveway...Lol....He Burn mY grass or flowers he be dealing with my wife! LOL

Not comparing my prices to oil companies. The point being that no matter what the commodity that has increased there is little chance that I can use the reasoning that I never paid that amount to magically make it less. Everyone is aware (or maybe not) that a dollar today is not the dollar 5, 10, 20 years ago. I pay higher prices for many things whether I like it or not. My income has to be based on my cost of living. As expenses rise I either have to be more efficient or raise my prices or a combination of those and provide value (which hopefully makes me competitive with the low baller).