Sign in to follow this  
jetstream1

Whats the best way to get pump off

Well if it were a pulley I would say use a proper puller. What ever ya do or whatever the configuration don't go hitting on the shaft with a hammer. ..You mushroom and ruin it and then it will be grinder and/or welder and grinder time..

I dont want to smash on it. This unit is a direct drive one inch shaft

all I want to do is put this pump on a new 13 h/p the pump has been off to get fix a few times.But I have been at it most of the night now, and not getting any place some one told me about geting 4 long bolts to use as like a pry tool going around even tighten them to see if it pops it off...I dont think any thing will work...What a BEAR OF A JOB

Well yea if there is holes in some part or flange that is strong enough you can do such with long bolts and nuts with proper configuring. There has never been anything I haven't been able to get apart mechanically. Sometimes things break though. If you can't take it to a shop then maybe you can take a few pics at different angles and we can try to come up with a plan. I don't know specifics of how them direct drive are hooked in but imagine that there might be more then just the outter bolts involved? Does the keyed shaft just stick through the seals and bearings and your able to view the shaft turning or what?

From what I see there is the 4 bolts and there is a hole in the flange

that had a small screw I got that out just seems like the shaft has a weld from the heat far as the key I think it is inside the shaft.All the shops are a far drive and they are back up for 2 days out.this pump is a AR I need to find a way to break it loose..Thanks for the help along the way

Spray penetrating oil in where the key is let it soak over night...that'll go a long way towards breaking it free. Could also take a propane torch to it to heat it up. In some cases of breaking things free you can suspend a pulley (or pump) between to rods with weight of motor hanging below and then hit shaft with hammer if you have a nut or bushing around tip to where you can not mushroom the shaft. In your case it sounds like you may be able to do this if motor is not mounted to anything. The weight of the motor will go a long way towards breaking it free. With this method you must take great pains in protecting shaft and engine when it falls to the ground. Doesn't sound like you need the motor though so..

Another way of breaking things free is to use the power of the starter motor. You secure the pulley, nut, pump, what have you with vice grips, pipe wrench, etc. and you bump the starter key. Hopefully then the shaft key is soft enough and it breaks so the bushing or flange turns on shaft. From there they usually go ahead and come off..

we will go for round two Ill post how the next step goes after I get done with working. can not wait till its time to fix my belt drive unit that looks much better to fix

Some pumps have a set screw down in the flange..is it loose? The hollow pump shafts can sometimes be a real booger to get apart. I have even resorted to breaking the flange to get to the shaft to heat it. Usually after heating the shaft, it's best to replace the oil seals in the engine and pump. And use Never Sieze when you reassemble to keep this from happening again.

Are there spacers between each of the four bolts that connect the pump to the engine? If you can gain just enough space between your pump and engine to get nuts in between each of the four holes,...you can then run a long bolt (should be about 4" I guess) into each hole through the nut and into the engine use one wrench to hold the bolt and another wrench for the nut , then you can turn the nuts to start backing the pump off the shaft. You have to alternate so you don't bind it up. This will work every time. I hope you were able to grasp what I am saying. Taking a pump off a shaft can be a bear but I figured this out a few years ago, the use of anti seize never hurts during the re-install. Also use spacers the next time so the space between the pump and engine so they are there for the next time. If you don't understand what I'm saying you can call me at (814)644-1396 and I'll try and explain it better.

Jeff

Check for a set scrw that is torqued down on top of the key. There will be a hole to put an allen key down to loosen.

Once you loosen the set screw...then try and remove pump. use two small pry bars and wiggle the pump off.

let us know how it goes.