Sign in to follow this  
troymclur

Need Help!

Question

Ok I have a real mess, I have a year old ceder deck, I cleaned it with some power washer cleaner, power washed it off and then applied Behr primium ceder tone stain. It was a hot sunny day. Needless to say the entire deck is patchy with dark blotches all over it. Just for good measure I have drip marks all over as well. Whats the best way to fix this and whats the best product to use thats avaible in Canada??

Thanks

20 answers to this question

Whats the best way to fix this and whats the best product to use thats avaible in Canada??

Thanks

The best way to fix that is to strip all that Behr crap and start allover again and use a different stain!

You have pics?

EDIT: you will have to strip the Behr off to be able to remove the lap marks or sand them.

You can use most Sodium Hydroxide strippers then oxalic to brighten.You can use Behr's stripper since it's their stain you working on.

These are the Behr lap marks on a deck i had to strip from a H.O DIY'er stain job.

dsc07663behrgold2lt6.jpg

That was a Sodium Hydroxide stripper with multiple strips then oxalic acid no sanding.

What are your choices in Canada? You buying from a paint store or do ya'll have Depot's,Lowes etc?

You want to stay with oil base stains and no sillycone or arcrylic stains

Any idea if Home Depot caries any good products??

Ummmm can't say i've ever seen anything good at the Depot.I thought i've heard some Lowes carries Cabots but not sure.

Are you far from the border? See if you can smuggle some good stain accross the border?

Well I got the Behr at Home Depot. Some of the paint stores around carry Flood, not sure if there any good. Any idea if Home Depot caries any good products??

Well I been wondering if the Preservawood is any good.. seems to be a parafinnic feeding type oil. If you have Ace hardware up there you might want to try the red label Penofin in cedar or redwood..

You have to decide if you want to feed the wood with something you can easily maintain and refeed or clog it up with stuff that will be harder to strip and maintain.

No Flood or Behr for me thanx!

p.s.- speaking of Lowes.. they got Olympic Max which some like but it isa clogger type far as I can tell.

Fresh behr...not easily removed. gonna need more than one stripping

Cabot is good quality, but you'll have the same problems with lapping and drips if you apply the same way you did the behr

Cabot's is a good stain.

The key with almost any stain is to work from a wet edge, and don't even get one drip where you don't want it. If you do, brush it out immediately to soften the edges. You should also mask areas that you're not working on. Staining is not like painting, since you are using a semi-transparent material which becomes more opaque with each layer. That's what those drip and lap marks are...two layers of stain. With paint, you wouldn't even notice those areas.

Ever considerd hiring a pro? We do this every day, and there are definitely tricks of the trade that are only learned through experience. The odds of a good finish go up when applied by a guy who's done it a hundred times or so. I can't imagine all the time and effort involved for you so far, let alone that you will probably still end up with a so-so appearance.

Am I an idiot for suggesting this?

Troymclur

Where in Ont are you???

You can call me, I don't mind a quick call to help you out. Be carefull how many more times you post before someone tells you to fill in a signiture. OOPS, I guess I just did.

thanks, mine looks even worse, the final product looks great, was that just from the stripper or did you have to sand as well? Can you recommed any good sealers I should be using??

Welcome to TGS. Please fill in your profile properly, and add a signature...and if you are a homeowner please use the Ask The Pro's forum. Go into your User CP to fill it out.

Beth

My Deck is FUBAR.

In my mind, I can see a great print ad with that across the top! Kind of in the style of the Indiana Jones movie posters. Of course, it would be me with the fedora, and a wand intead of a whip!

It would be great. I wonder if the paper would take it??

Flipping boards over is really only a viable option if whomever built your deck didn't toenail the heck out of it, used spriral galvanized nails, or screwsto build your deck. As sprial nails and screws will be impossible to remove without tearing the deck up, not to mention that in my experience about 10% of the screwhead will end up breaking off from weathering. See if you have several nails on the "SIDES" of the boards not at the end but actually lengthwise in the sides, where the boards run perpendicular to the supports. if your counting more than 2 per board I'd say flipping is out of the question as in my experience removing these boards without replacing is highly unlikley and you will most often end up with side splits. Depending also on how if the stain was applied properly applied between the boards you will also have stain once again in between the boards when you flip them. do you have a pic of your deck.

It may not be a suggestion you want to hear, but a belt sander and some 50 grit paper may be your best bet, then follow with an orbital and some 80 grit to smooth the rough surfaces. Hope you've got some spare time on your hands.