Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Dilemma

Question

I have quite a dilemma:eek: . I am solidly booked on large projects and doing 2 projects many of the weeks for the next 8 weeks and then after that we are pretty booked up and through most of July and some in August.

I had a PM company call today on a bid I gave a couple months ago. Its a large project aabout 15K take 4 guys about a week. I got the bid and she (PM) asked me to schedule it. I told her its about 8 weeks out. She said .......OH. She said its a problem the place is dirty and a few weeks would be no problem, but 2 months no way. She told me the next bid was only a few hundred higher and the property might want to go with them if they can get in quicker.

I played it off a little and said let me get back to her Monday. I wanthis job, because I'm not in biz to do bids and then dont do the job. But I really cant figure out yet WTF I'm going to do to fit this in. I got 5 guys and 5 machines running 10-11 hours a day now, jobs are going great.

This PM is a PM company I do one biannaull job for and I've been trying for over 2 years for them to use us on other projects and now they are going to and Im booked

I can hire and train more guys and even buy a couple more 5.6's , and use my small open trailer and my brother in laws truck. If I buy this equipment, Im really not going to need it probably that much unless it stays crazy like it is now. I cant be telling PM's sorry you have to wait 8-10 weeks, these properties want their spring cleanings

I cant pass this job and pm up, this is what I wanted and Im getting it. Should i buy the extra equipment? Even if I may not need it in 3, 4 months

What the hecks a guy to do

I Love This Biz:)

65 answers to this question

I know what you mean, Jeff, I'm the same way (not inclined to have to do repairs) but today's vehicles last ten+ years and 200,000 miles before they need anything major. Keep in mind the first rule of building wealth..never buy anything that depreciates.

Hey Scott, I wasnt talking about you when i mentioned standards, I was talking in general, plus i really didnt think you were really offering or going after my PM's

Nothing i said was directed at you and sorry if some how you thought it was. Sorry I didnt call, but I never considered in this thread or anytime subbing the work out to you or anyone, like I said sorry if i gave you the wrong impression.

But like you said I probably couldnt afford your daily rate

I wouldn't have put it out there if I didn't think we could have helped you.The daily rate isn't enough to choke a horse,but we do charge enough to make road trips worth while.

All is good............:)

I know what you mean, Jeff, I'm the same way (not inclined to have to do repairs) but today's vehicles last ten+ years and 200,000 miles before they need anything major. Keep in mind the first rule of building wealth..never buy anything that depreciates.[/quote]

With the exceptions of real estate,precious stone and metals how do you not buy things that don't depreciate?

True true on the depreciation . Think he means that huge chunk of cash lost the moment it is driven off lot.

Jeff if your not mechanical and you want new then I see two options. Ford (the more expensive option) has real low interest rate incentives right now.

Or better yet just go snag an 06 Dodge 1500 Quad Ram before they all gone. You can get them dirt cheap for less then 17k with 12k off a 29k msrp. Can't beat it considering 7 yr/70k mi powertrain warranty. Heck you don't even have to have a Hemi in it for around town with heavy trailering. Fit all your guys in too if that the way you work it.

I would raise my prices and lessen the work load while making the same $$$$.

I have raised my prices, I am lucky I quite often see other bids before or after i get a project. The problem with lowering my work load and raising my prices is that if a PM starts to use another PW company, thats their foot in the door and the door may start to shut on my foot. loyalty only goes so far> If this was residential I would say sure go only for the high paying work and the heck with the rest. These condo projects i make good money daily and I just dont want to lose out. I've worked hard to develop and cultivate many of the PM's that I have good relationships with, but if im much higher on many projects, i price myself right out of work and I dont want to lose a PM, because the HOA's keep telling them, " I dont care how good JL is, he's to high"

And you know I'm in a dilemma, but its a good dilemma to be in (to much work). I come here and post, because I value a lot of the advise & ideas I get from you all

Thanks

Jeff

Growing pains.....we all have them. Bite the bullet and don't fight it. Set up another rig and crew and hit the bank :)

Celeste

LOL, Hit the bank, sometimes it feels like the bank is dropping on my head:lgbonk:

I'm pretty good a figuring things out when it comes to this biz, but I could be a lot smarter and better and sure would help my little brain relax some. Its funny everyonce in a while I entertain the thought of starting another type of biz, then I think "what am I crazy" I dont know how some do it

Got to love the PW biz

I called yesterday with a 4 week out date and the PM said she had to talk to the HOA, it still sounded iffy. I told her theres a reason we are so far out and its because we are very good at what we do and I told her we'd really like to do this project and others for her. Just trying to sell them on us. Just didnt get a real good feel either way

So i said what the heck and called her back again today as a follow up

WE GOT THE JOB !!!!!!! Start it at the end of May. Thanks everyone, for the imput, now all I got to do is figure out how the heck I'll get a week long job done in one day LOL only kidding. I called another PM and juggled their job and they were cool with it

See, you got worried and all worked up :) You have shown that you do a good service with your PM's. You should worry less and be more confident in yourself & company - you'll live longer to enjoy your family if you do.

Celeste

See, you got worried and all worked up :) You have shown that you do a good service with your PM's. You should worry less and be more confident in yourself & company - you'll live longer to enjoy your family if you do.

Celeste

Thanks Celeste!

Stress motivates me and the family I am blessed and do have a lot of time with them.

What me worry:lgbugeyes LOL

Cant wait till my new rig gets here. Bob from PT is setting it up, I got to get another crew up and running. The dilemma just keeps going on. I have PM's calling saying can you fit this & that in, 2, 4, 13, 26 buildings each call and more. I'm also waiting on a 60 building complex that I think Im going to get, I lost a 23 building job, but the PM said he thinks I got the 60 buildings. Im fitting it in and we are working 6 10-12 hour days. Im scheduling on top of other jobs well into July and some in August. This would be nice if we can keep this going throughout the year ( wishful thinking )

Get this other rig and hopefully give my guys a little break & cut down on the OT, but we will probably just keep getting the calls. Having some big months

Got a cold 8gpm & 5.6 gpm coming. I have some extra warehouse space the next unit next to mine, its a freinds who isnt using a 1/2 of it. Got it cheap.

Yahoo!!!! Got to love PWing

I understand what Ken is saying with depreciation on new vehicles. For personal transportation I have not bought a new vehicle since 1987. When I needed a truck for my business I searched for a few months for a used one but prices for used trucks were so high I decided to buy new. My reasoning was why buy a used truck with no warranty, possible hidden mechanical problems, and high mileage when I could buy new for a few thousand more and know what I was getting. Even if you run a CarFax report and let a mechanic check it out there is a risk with a used vehicle. I am also logging about 2,000 miles a month so a vehicle with 80,000+ miles on it already that I am using to tow with just didn't work for me. If you maintain the vehicle and run 200,000 miles on it the depreciation over the life of the vehicle isn't so bad.

I understand what Ken is saying with depreciation on new vehicles. For personal transportation I have not bought a new vehicle since 1987. When I needed a truck for my business I searched for a few months for a used one but prices for used trucks were so high I decided to buy new. My reasoning was why buy a used truck with no warranty, possible hidden mechanical problems, and high mileage when I could buy new for a few thousand more and know what I was getting. Even if you run a CarFax report and let a mechanic check it out there is a risk with a used vehicle. I am also logging about 2,000 miles a month so a vehicle with 80,000+ miles on it already that I am using to tow with just didn't work for me. If you maintain the vehicle and run 200,000 miles on it the depreciation over the life of the vehicle isn't so bad.

I'm thinking the same way Doug

I have another 2 weeks before I have to get something. I have a few people looking for that perfect used , you know Grandma only drove it 2 miles to church every Sunday. If not I will be getting something new

Used truck prices are insane

Jeff