Sign in to follow this  
Freshlook

A fence I cleaned today.. Still gotta seal it

Question

At LEAST 10 year old fence "owners couldn't remember" that has never been touched. I just cleaned and brightened it, and now they want it sealed!! gotta love it when they ask for more...

I figured I'd post some work I've done since I never have

Before---

post-2746-13777217808_thumb.jpg

post-2746-137772178095_thumb.jpg

post-2746-1377721781_thumb.jpg

35 answers to this question

that's what I'm worried about, they want to provide the finish and haven't specified. I tried getting them to use my typical brands, but no go.. so we will just have to wait and see. I told them 3 days to let it dry out and I'll be back...

Geeze Greg,

Your pictures burned my retinas. Never needed sunglasses to look at a web site. What did you use, bottled sunshine?

Fence looks great, knock 'em dead with the stain.

Tell them that you're a pro, and you will find a color that suits them, but a stain that you like. They may get something that doesn't do the work you've already done justice, or worse yet, something difficult to apply, adding to your aggravation.

At least try one more time when they ask you to use CWF-UV that they'll be sorry!

Nice job Greg :cool: but i still wouldn't let them choose the stain! If you do no warranty from your labor atleast if you still use what they choose.

made you look like a pro greg...oops, you are one! i have done very little wood work so how about sharing your procedure and chemicals on this one if you don't mind. i'd love to know as i hope to start doing more wood work since it appears to be good money. so, chem? pressure? tip? charge per sq ft? did you use ox? too many questions?

i love it,

rando

yeah looks like the brightness or something was adjusted in the after photos. Big difference from the Before's...

The color tones and overal picture brightness if different

???

Its important to always get the exact same angle and placement for the after photos.

This way it doesnt seem like your hiding something. ie. maybe the after wasnt as impressive

plus reassures the person viewing the after photos that its the exact same project and not another. Shane is good at following this before and after picture rule.

yeah looks like the brightness or something was adjusted in the after photos. Big difference from the Before's...

The tone difference can be credited to glarring sunlight, NO CLOUD COVER AT ALL! The before's were taken around 10 a.m and the afters were taken around 3 pm. when the sun was peak. If you look at the 3rd after picture at that little plant in the far left lower corner, check out the shadow and that will tell you the suns position. Yes I did try to get the same angles but if you would like to see them they are even brighter than the one's I've posted. I even tried using my camera's settings to adjust for direct sunlight and STILL no good. I made sure to take enough pictures where one knows it's the same job, the landscaping in the far corner is able to be seen in most of them. I understand your criticism, but when it's 90 degrees out and the sun is hitting the fence it's not always able to be done. sorry don't have the expendable funds to splurge on the $1,300 camera I was eyeing. BUT when I do rest assured that you will have some pretty pics all of the same angle to look at. with a UV filter and all:lglolly:

But if your in question that this is the same fence and not a different job here ya go. *Warning-- it's bright, and if you look at the grass you can tell there is no change in settings.

Oh.. and Belmont, may I suggest getting a signature line?

post-2746-137772178115_thumb.jpg

Watch what you offer there bud... you may have 30 gallons of acrylic sitting on the porch when you get over to the job :)

Nice prep work though!

fresh,

i think you may have been a little distracted by another post and forgot to answer mine. the job looks great to me so if you would like to share your procedure i'd still love to know.

rando

A Big Bottle Of Sunshine!!! Applied at 4k PSI with a 0 degree tip 2 inches from the surface. then to get the rough spots out I took a butter knife and scraped them off.

Oh and I had silvia brown come over to let me know what the fence was thinking while I was working on it. Funny enough the fence was tickelish and the grey shook off.

Please don't share what you used because homeowners are frequenting this site in droves ;-)

ken, you confuse me. you have made over 3616 posts sharing wonderful and valuable information concerning your wood working skills. how many "homeowners" do you think have read your post? a "homeowner" may clean his own fence, like it, and then start his own little business. we then welcome him with open arms but guess what? he's still a "homeowner". we cannot weed out who we want to read our posts or not so what's the answer? let's keep sharing info as we have always done before. what if everyone on this site answered a question like mine the way you guys did? what would the purpose of this site be then?

rando

Please don't share what you used because homeowners are frequenting this site in droves ;-)

ken, you confuse me. you have made over 3616 posts sharing wonderful and valuable information concerning your wood working skills. how many "homeowners" do you think have read your post? a "homeowner" may clean his own fence, like it, and then start his own little business. we then welcome him with open arms but guess what? he's still a "homeowner". we cannot weed out who we want to read our posts or not so what's the answer? let's keep sharing info as we have always done before. what if everyone on this site answered a question like mine the way you guys did? what would the purpose of this site be then?

rando

What I used can't be picked up at home depot nor the equipment either. and for first time users if in fact you are trying to do your own fencing I wouldn't recommend it as there are several steps to take, such as dwell time, pressure to be used, and NOT to mention SAFETY. You get this stuff in your eyes and it's been known to cloud retinal tissue and be nearly irreparable. or breathing in a cloud of overspray isn't the best for your lungs.

What I'm trying to convey here is if you do your research on this forum, you will find more than enough information already, as to what chems, what equip, and what procedures to follow. I actually do a few things that i've experimented with that i've never posted on here due to any competition in my area.

If you've read any of my previous posts you will also find that I do more procedures than all of my competition, Such as offering a TOTAL SALVAGE deck service,Where I remove the whole deck to it's supports and evaluate if more support is needed via adding perpindicular cross supports, and correcting or replacing bowing supports, the next step is where I take each board, evaluate it's integrity and if it's sound, I take it off plane it down to remove cupping, or other correctible defects, and re-apply the board to their orrigional position via coated deck screws which for a 500 sq ft deck will cost nearly $100 just in fastners.

I'm anal, yes.. but I've NEVER had a complaint and I should be charging a little more than I do for this service, I do make a handsome profit, but if i would charge more, they may just be able to get their deck rebuilt. Which I do as well. The only thing I don't do is additions and new deck builds, as most homeowners don't want to deal with codes and want me to build a deck illegaly.

I'm in the process of building my reputation and name. Once I get a good referral basis from the work I complete, I hope to be in KEN's position. He's very skilled in a lot of areas, but the area I most respect him is in his buisness sence. Sure he's made over 3600 posts and maybe over 100 of them by helping me out. If you are still really interested in the journey, use the search function. The basics consist of knowing the charecter of the wood. Stripping, Brightening/neutralizing, and proper selection of a stain/sealant.

I will help you all I can, but I'm not the holy grail of information. I've actually screwed enough of my own stuff up by testing what not to do on a customers. I'm a decent carpender and able to replace or fix what I do with minimal cost involved.

By doing a little research on your previous posts I see you have a hot water rig. 1st hint, NEVER use hot water on wood

Rando, I wrote that tongue-in-cheek. There have been some recent posts on the boards with some guys lambasting the fact that information is so freely given. I understand where they are coming from to a certain degree.. I persoanlly think these forums should be private and read only by verified contractors.

I talked with a customer the other day about a DIY project and she said to me "should we use our X-Jet to spray the Restore-A-Deck?" whaaaat? I had to laugh.

Rando, I wrote that tongue-in-cheek. There have been some recent posts on the boards with some guys lambasting the fact that information is so freely given. I understand where they are coming from to a certain degree.. I persoanlly think these forums should be private and read only by verified contractors.

I talked with a customer the other day about a DIY project and she said to me "should we use our X-Jet to spray the Restore-A-Deck?" whaaaat? I had to laugh.

Northern tool sell xjets now,so anyone who wants it can get it and HD sells a cheap knock off

Northern tool sell xjets now,so anyone who wants it can get it and HD sells a cheap knock off

Although I don't see it online I did see some such thing perhaps at the actual HD store. It was some very cheap looking thing called a 'soaper' tip. I passed over it so fast that I am unsure now whether it had chem draw hose or was supposed to suck chemical like an xjet. Maybe your pulling our leg...Maybe I go back and rig it in as a high draw chem injector if it does suck chems....

i know how to use the search function as i find it a useful tool on this forum. the pics you posted were unique and naturally some of us were wanting to learn about the technique you used. if you want to pm me or even call me on my number listed we can talk about it since i am not one of your competitors. if not, i respect your privacy. but, in the future, please be aware that when you show off your work on these forums naturally alot of us are going to ask questions as that is why we are here. if you don't want us to know then what is the purpose of posting such pics? when a member here post their pics then they know the questions are going to roll on in. maybe a solution here would be when such pics are posted that we also post that our pics are for viewing only, no questions please.

rando