Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

winterize

Question

What happens if you forget to winterize one of your washers before the first freeze and you still haven't winterized it. It wasn't used for about a month before the freeze. Since it was in storage I kind of forgot about it.

15 answers to this question

Usually what I do if we are expecting a chance for a freeze (because my equipment is left outdoors) I put a garage light next to the pump, safely cover the machine, and leave it on until morning when it heats up a bit.

That's cool that you brought up my post from 2 years ago. It shows your doing your research...good for you. I run an extension cord from my house to my pump and use a houshold heating pad, like the kind for your back. I was using the winterizer can stuff, but at $7.50 a can it got expensive.

WINTER SUCKS! We had an open trailer, kept it in a shop and ran antifreez through it last year, but it would freeze just driving from job to job. This year we installed a airhose valve near the inlet, placed it in a 7x16 enclosed trailer, insulated it with 1/4 stirofoam panels and placed an electric heater in the trailer. I am not taking any chances on the equipment freezing this year. If your like me and your equipment breaks, because of freezing then your eating potted meat and ramen noodles for the next year.

This time of year I keep antifreeze in all my hoses, drain water out as best or completely possible. When I get to a job I can pump out the antifreeze and recover it in a 5 gal bucket and reuse when work is complete. I have to change or recharge the antifreeze about once a month, maybe a little more. I keep a check on how low it will go with a gauge from any parts store.

It adds time to trying to run in the winter time, but the alternatives (frozen hoses, pumps etc) are much worse)

Anyone else do it differently?

Use windsheild washer fluid, it's cheaper. I'm a part time PWer but on the full time job we use a directional bore machine that has a 19gpm water pump on it and we've always used ww fluid. It's all anybody in that industry uses, it doesn't harm the seals. On very cold days we have to winterize the pump before we start hauling it back to the shop or it will freeze.

I've used winshield washer fluid as well as RV antifreeze. These products are useless unless you completely purge your system of water. Those things don't do well if they're diluted. I buy the cheapest automotive antifreeze I can find and reclaim it when I have to do a job. I take less chances that way. Just my .02

I use the automotive stuff straight into the pump and high pressure lines. When I purge, it does get slightly diluted, but I check it with a gauge to be sure I'm good for the night. Otherwise I add more straight to it. All the water hoses are drained, valve closed off and if I can I try to get some antifreeze next to them as well.

These procedures have saved my system although it takes extra time and being pretty anal about how to do it. but when I fire the machine up it runs like it was summer

We have had and get 20 F at night on a regular basis in the piedmont area at nigh. Colder to the west and sometimes much colder. That will last until about March late Feb. or so. Depends!

I use compressed air and blow out the system, pump hoses inlet and pressure. I use the connection I made for blowing out my sprinkler system at my house. Works great. This was suggested in my owners manual. We hit 19 below and I checked my machine and it is clear.