Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Respirator ?

Question

How many of you utilize a respirator? If so which one (what kind of respirator) an when (appling housewash, ox. acid, stripper, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

RJ

12 answers to this question

I wear one, the cartridge type from home depot for $38 bucks or so. The cheaper one does not protect against chlorine vapors - says so on the package. Well worth the money. Last year I hardly wore it and was always getting headaches and had the chlorine smell stuck in my nose all night. The respirator prevents that, keeps me healthy and keeps the home owners away.

The Home Depot one works OK, but if you are spraying HCL (Muriatic) then you'd better get a 3M 6000 or 7000 series. They run from $119 to $239 retail, but good deals on eBay for less than half that. Figure out what cartridges to use for your specific type of chemical.

If you use the HD for spraying HCL. Beware! You won't be able to tell if they are leaking and I'm telling you from experience... coughing out your lung and losing your voice for a week is not fun from acid inhalation. It's worth paying the money for a good mask.

You'll be fine. Wear glasses when you mix your chems though. Oxalic in the eyes doesn't feel too great either. Live and learn...

Craig

thanks Craig. I have had the OX in the eyes as well. Ouch. Not as bad though as when you are scubbing a gutter and a big suds glop falls right into your eye. That was pain.

thanks Craig. I have had the OX in the eyes as well. Ouch. Not as bad though as when you are scubbing a gutter and a big suds glop falls right into your eye. That was pain.

Mike,

Why not wear your Scott Pak. No ox vapors and no hydroxide in the eye!

I wear one, the cartridge type from home depot for $38 bucks or so. The cheaper one does not protect against chlorine vapors - says so on the package. Well worth the money. Last year I hardly wore it and was always getting headaches and had the chlorine smell stuck in my nose all night. The respirator prevents that, keeps me healthy and keeps the home owners away.

Just picked that one up this morning before heading to a strip job. First time using SH and Ox and the respirator worked great. SH doesnt seem to bother me as much, but oxalic is rough if you breath it in. The respirator stopped it all.

Ron,

Good idea with the scott pack, but 20 minutes of air and carrying 30 extra pounds is a PITA. No to mention the neighbors might be a bit scared.

Ron,

Good idea with the scott pack, but 20 minutes of air and carrying 30 extra pounds is a PITA. No to mention the neighbors might be a bit scared.

20 mins. Wow, you must be in great shape. I usually get about half that, LOL

I did a roof job yesterday in the sun and was very impressed with how much a mask can help. I am told that the key is get one for organic chemicals and it just made the whole job that much more pleasant with out the chocking and caughing. The customer stayed away and I got the job done fast. In New England I thing the customer respects being carefull and is impressed with knowing the contractor is being carefull. I use a full face shield or safety glasses also just to cut down on mist exposure to the eyes or splashes. Why risk it. Next I am going to try disposable white water repellent cover alls to keep from wreaking cloths as much.

Since I was in a rush I grabbed it at Sherwin Williams store I deal with and with discount the price was not too bad especially considering how much cleaner the air was. Next thing to add is vanilla to the clorine as I saw on another post.