Sign in to follow this  
copgib

Which direction do I go???

Question

I am thinking about getting into business in pressure washing and deck refinishing. My question is this: Which would be better? A van like a GMC/Chevy or Ford where I put the pressure washer hoses and maybe a 200 gallon water tank as well as all the items to deck refinishing where they would be locked up or..........

Get a pickup and then buy a trailer rig pressure washer to pull behind. Parking and moving around in tight roads might be a problem. So, all you veterans out there, now is your time to shine and help a newbe make a few decisions. Which way do I go?

The work will be doing is: Flatwork/mobile homes/houses/commerical business properties and wood deck staining and refinishing/Gutter cleaning ect.

Thanks ahead of time for all your help I have been reading these forums for approx. 3-years now and you guys do know your stuff! Thanks Hugh

17 answers to this question

Hugh, if I answered all your questions then asked you certain questions on here it would take forever. I have used both, van and truck & trailer. Post your questions here and I'll answer as best as I can.

Mike

Hugh might is suggest you call a few guys doing all that and see if you can work a week with each, no pay but you gain experience and can better decide which line you want to get into.

To try and do all things is fine but you will not be able to do 100% quality in all those fields, pick 2 or 3 at most and learn all you can on them, then do those only.

Why you will find guys who do fleets only, flat work only, hoods only etc.

Specialize!

The guys at the Delco website have some classes you could take on mobile washing, and wood restoration. Specializing is a great way to build your business. Check your yellow pages, and see what kind of competition you have around you. Then look at your market, see if another contractor in said specialized field is worth your time and investment. Almost always it is worth it, you just have to find your niche in the said market. Like Jon said, being 100% proficient in every field will take time, and I also wouldn't support it. I have been a painter since 1992, and just this last year I felt qualified enough to start my own business. There's lots to learn, and, like with any business, proper financing is one of the keys to being successful. Plan on dropping $20,000 to really make it turn for you. My opinion on your initial question is; Try to find a cargo van, and an enclosed trailer. You'd be amazed at how you can outfit them with goodies for your business. I am planning on running 3 crews this next season....all of which will be van/enclosed trailer units. 2 prep crews, and one finish crew. Hope this helps, and good luck with your endeavours.

Aaron

:yoda:

first off do you have the money to get a truck "just for pressure washing"?

This mean's insurance,plate's,reg.,a place to keep it,ect....

If you use a pick-up and trailer you can still use the pick-up as your daily driver.

I see your in fla. That place for some reason has the largest amount of theft's of pressure washing equipment. Open rig's are easy target's.

The 2 rig's for wood work is the best. One for cleaning and one for finnishing.

I started part-time. Toyota p/up w/cap on back. $2500 worth of equipment jammed in the bed. Truck was a daily driver so investment was minimal. I did 2 yrs of research before buying the truck and equipment. My first year produced many happy customers and made me realize that this is what I want to do.

My dream rig would be a ford van w/built-in ventilated hot washer pulling trailer w/tank, additional washer,hoses,reels,ladders etc....

Delco has a nice trailer setup for a little under $7000. If you trade your car in for a truck that can pull something like 6000 lbs you're good to go.

Guest rfitz

For what its worth, I use a Ford E350 Van, set up with tank, no trailer etc..

I have just purchased a Ford F-150 that will be used for staining/sealing only

vehicles/2 rigs is the ideal situation, consider it insurance. if one wrecks, breaks etc.. however in the beginning that could be hard financially, so just do what you can afford, I started with 1 unit last year, and could have bought 10 more just like it, after 1st year in Res. biz, so be patient, and plan ahead

Mike,

Your post was a single line asking if someone wanted to buy something. You've had an awful lot of used equipment for sale...

All used equipment for sale belongs in the Bargain Basement. The post should contain specs about the particular item for sale, and a photo if possible as well as the asking price, since this does help sell the particular item you are trying to actually sell.

I'm also going to refer you to the following link for reading, since you are a distributor and it's a fine line. Distributors do not have advertising priviledges here. Manufacturers whose products we do carry may advertise here. Those who are smaller manufacturers who also distribute other products, well that's at our discretion.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1254

Beth & Rod

Administrators

I use open trailers myself but I can definitely see where an enclosed van or box truck would be more benneficial. It all depends on what type of cleaning you plan on specializing in. I specialize in residential cleaning but do lots more. I clean concrete, trucks, poultry houses and what ever else needs to be cleaned. The advantage enclosed systems have over me is the ability to continue work when outside temps are below freezing and storage(the units are stored in the vehicle.) All depends on your budget.

Beth, I was merely telling the gentlemen that I used the same set up that he wants and made a joke in reference to him buying it. Sorry, I won't make anymore jokes. I didn't realize it was wrong to have used equipmnet for sale. I guess you build up alot of equipment over the years and didn't realize there was anything wrong in selling it.

Thanks Alan, everything isn't for sale. I need to hold on to some stuff. Don't get me wrong, everything is for sale at a price. But the price has to be good enough for me to replace it, ah haaa