Sign in to follow this  
stldecks

When applying a stripper or cleaner what method do you use?

Question

Hi all,

Looking for thoughts, comments and or suggestions -

When applying a stripper or cleaner what method do you use?

PW w/down streaming

Pump-up

Battery operated pump

By hand

Or other????

Did my first deck today and down streamed the stripper and brighter – There were several areas that it appears I will be doing additional stripping… in addition to being concerned about over spray…… I am using Sodium Hydroxide

Looking for specific input for those who use or have used pump-up for stripper/ brightener?

Type of tanks (Plastic VS metal)

Tips

Thanks

SP

13 answers to this question

Welcome to the board.

Applciation methods we use:

• Downstreaming of a contractor grade wood stripper. I like HD-80 boosted to be very potent. This is adequate on 80% of decks.

• When the situation calls for a direct strip, a 12 V pump (Deckster) applies quickest.

Don't forget your brightening stage which we always apply via downstream.

SP,

We use a shurflo pump unit powered by a 12 volt battery. 12 gallon plastic tank with the complete unit on a handcart. Pump is if I recall over 2 GPM and 60 PSI.

Very quick and easy to flush and change chems. Sodium percarb cleaners, sodium hydroxide strippers, and citric acid neutralizers are all applied to wood this way.

Two tips. First, if you are using sodium percarbonate wood cleaners, they are initially mixed in warm to hot water. The percarb off gasses a lot until the mix cools down. If you do not want to wait, put the warm mix in a backpack type pump up sprayer and start applying. When it cools, transfer to the shurflo unit.

Second, make sure you release the pressure on the shurflo when done for the day. Adds a lot of service life to the pump.

Delevan 12v pumpe here (same as a shurflo). Rigged up in a carrycase that keeps the pump and battery enclosed. Rigged a switch on the outside to turn it on and off and quick connects to add lengths of hose. Use 5 gallon containers for the chems. Just Pick up the sprayer in one hand and a 5er in the other and im ready to go

You have to know your woods soft or hard, and how old ,how much degradation due to age, is there a finish and how much, how long do I dwell the stripper, how big is the deck, do I douse a deck the same for a 500 the same as a 1000sqft deck?

This method of doing decks is for experienced woodcare people. You can do more harm than good until you understand the chem's and what they can do!

If you're a new "Woody" I recommend 12v. pumps Or pump ups if thats all you have to start. The chem. applications will be more affective & youll get better results. Once you get more experience & are able to "dial things in" then I would try down streaming. I would start by thinking Quality not Quanity. My .02. Good luck in your ventures

Tom, my system utilizes dual lance wands. The spray is controlled and extends 3 feet beyond the nozzle end. You just back up so that only the end of the stream is hitting the rails. Its still very "wet" at the end of that spray so wood gets wet quickly and the aded benefit is that there is no fog that can carry and settle where we don't want it to.