Sign in to follow this  
jbruno

Suspicous call...

Question

Got a call yesterday from a guy looking for a price on a patio... here's how it went down

Me: "hello"

Caller: "yeah, what do you get for a patio"

Me: "get? to clean it? well it depends,I would have to see it."

Caller: " do you price it by the square foot?"

Me: "Yes, but I also factor in other things. Where are you located? (no answer)

Caller: "could you tell me over the phone, so I could figure it out myself?"

Me" NO, I don't give prices over the phone"

Caller hangs up...

I'm still trying to figure out what fly-by night "powerwashing" company this is, because there's no way a homeowner asks "by Square footage?" Plus he would never tell me what his name was, or where the the job was.

11 answers to this question

I have gotten many calls where the homeowner asks the square footage price, problem is when I ask about how many square feet, they have no clue what they have.

May have been the comp, or maybe a homeowner comparing prices. No biggy, they did not get what they wanted so you are fine. Had they pumped you for info, then hung up with a handful then that would be a problem.

It was the first time this has ever happened, which suprised me probably because I thought it may happen eventually, but it caught me off guard.

I'm willing to help anybody in this business, to insure that it gets done correctly, and it gets done for a good price (no lowballers). But these guys need to approach me in a different way. Hell, I approached Tom D. and offered my help (which he's taken plenty of LOL)

When I get calls like that, I explain that I still need their address in order to give them an estimate over the phone or my database (zillow.com) will retrieve inaccurate info. I usu. get the info and am able to give them a pretty accurate bid over the phone for a housewash. The required upsells would be negotiated after the customer agreed that it is only an "over the phone estimate" and that a visual would be more exact. Trying to build a little trust. if they hang up...... have a nice day, get back to building a helicopter................ I mean , running my business.

Like I said, I would help ANYBODY learn this business the correct way (hell, I'm learning it every day) But I guess this guys doesn't think powerwashers should share info. I know for a fact if this guys came to me I could have him making more money and making it faster!!

Like I said, I would help ANYBODY learn this business the correct way (hell, I'm learning it every day) But I guess this guys doesn't think powerwashers should share info. I know for a fact if this guys came to me I could have him making more money and making it faster!!

I've spoke to many and tried to help them. I too get a lot of calls from guys trying to get info. They should just call me and be honest

Hey Bruno hows the restaurant going???

the restuarant is holding its own. I haven't lost money, neither have I hit the jackpot. It'll take time, but for 6 months we're doing well! Thanks for asking