Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Applying Seal :Rollers vs. Stain Pads on Deckboards

Question

I've read so many different opinions on whether its easier, more efficient, better results,etc.. to apply with pole mounted stain pads OR to roll on with conventional paint rollers. When practical, seems like its always easier to spray. However, in certain situations, its just not practical to go through all the hassle of masking off all of the surrounding surfaces with tarps, plastic,etc... gotta roll the deck boards or use stain pads.

Opinions on using rollers vs. stain pads like the shurline or wider pad applicators. What da' think?

21 answers to this question

I've been using the shurline 18" for a month or so and it is a joy to work with...I do three boards at a time and each dip into the bucket gives me a run of anywhere from 6' to 10' depending on how thirsty the deck is.....I can do a 20x40 deck in an hour or so....It cuts in pretty well too...If the stain doesn't fill in the grooves as well as I like then I simply go crossways quickly and the stain fills in nicely....I use Ready Seal................Now if someone has a great way of doing spindles, short of spraying them then please let me know...Spindles always make the job last too long..........I love the Shurline...

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I've been using the shurline 18"

Hey YAz... where do you find theose 18" Shurlines? Ya Know I just did 4 decks today using the smaller 10"? shurlines. Great application, but the red plastic unit that screws into the pole kept sliding out! Ever have that problem? I just got down on my knees and did it with the shurline applicator alone, no red plastic thingy-ma-bob.

Yaz low long do the pads last b4 they start ripping apart? I know the older decks are tough with splinters but i like how the glue on the Padco holds up b4 ripping apart.

Shane...I've been using the same one since I received them..Maybe I've been lucky but it still looks like new with no chunks of fiber coming out......I haven't touched my spare......

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

That's cool i just remember the shurlines i used from the Depot were trashed after a few uses! That's good to hear they holding up for ya :cool:

Thanks Stephan~ ordered em today. Yeah Shane, the 9" ers I used from HD today held up so-so. Older decks though, went through 1 today. Looking forward to using these 18" Shurlines with the wooster bucket/lid set up. Should be nice moving around the jobsite with regards to spillage,etc.. Ya know, i didnt know the ones from Seal Store were actually Shurlines.

I always seem to fall back on a roller - don't know if it's the best, I do know that if boards are cupped and otherwise not perfectly flat - using those flat applicator pads may be a problem, especially the ones 3 boards wide. What about a big staining brush on a pole - for high quality brushed in work? Don't do enough decks to really be efficient at them. And I always end up hand brushing spindles.

Each has it's place but as an applicator, the roller qualifies better than a pad.

We do not use the pad for that purpose but instead as a means to distribute the product evenly across the wood surface, a feat the roll cannot equally accomplish.

The drawback to rollers I have also noticed is the nap creates little bubbles which do not always go away and sometimes leave nap on older decks.

For the pads, lately the bristles (tiny grey hairs) have been coming off. I attribute this to the re-formulations which contain alcohols and other solvents which may be incompatible with the original design which is for oils and latex based stains.

The pads do allow one to get deeper between the deck boards vs the roller which does not and allows drips to go between them and being incapable of reaching them, makes me reach for something else. A brush between deck boards is out of the question as it kills ones back and knees.

my .02 - hope it helps your questions.

Rod!~

Each has it's place but as an applicator, the roller qualifies better than a pad.

We do not use the pad for that purpose but instead as a means to distribute the product evenly across the wood surface, a feat the roll cannot equally accomplish.

The drawback to rollers I have also noticed is the nap creates little bubbles which do not always go away and sometimes leave nap on older decks.

For the pads, lately the bristles (tiny grey hairs) have been coming off. I attribute this to the re-formulations which contain alcohols and other solvents which may be incompatible with the original design which is for oils and latex based stains.

The pads do allow one to get deeper between the deck boards vs the roller which does not and allows drips to go between them and being incapable of reaching them, makes me reach for something else. A brush between deck boards is out of the question as it kills ones back and knees.

my .02 - hope it helps your questions.

Rod!~

6" natural bristle stain brush, along with a detachable pole if doing a deck floor. A "truck wash" brush and a 5 gal. bucket is fine and even faster on a floor, at least if using RS.

Still cannot beat a decker / deckster for applying stain.

It doesn't matter what method you use on flooring, if you step back and take a look at the whole picture, all the methods are quite fast. I stained all the flat parts of a deck and the skirts plus a few horizontal boards across the lower parts of the balustrades and faced off a few of the 4x4' where noticeable as a 'maintenance' coat. The deck was 500 sq. feet plus two stairways. And I was there for 3 hours, and made better than $100/hr.

I use a truck brush to apply my stripper......I may try it to see if it works faster when applying my RS.......My truck brush is about 10"....Will see if I can get a larger one.........

YAZ

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home & Property

Care & Maintenance

I will second the truck brush. One step further is the hurricane brush. This thing is floor staining nirvanna. Set to the right pressure on a deckster there is NO overspray. You can get within inches of a wall. No dipping just pull trigger and brush out. I don't like rollers for several reasons. Rod mentioned one.. bubbles. They also overaplly the stain (obviously not a problem with RS). The third and most annoying factor..they cannot get between floor boards.

Even though this isn't the question, since you guys brought it up...it is not always necessary to tarp and mask like crazy in order to spray. A little common sense, proper conditions, experience and technique, and there will be times that NO tarping is required at all.

As to pads vs. rollers...I find that I make a mess with rollers, so I always spray the floor and backbrush with pads. Most of the decks I do are elevated, and the last thing I need is stain dripping between the boards to whatever is below.

Even though this isn't the question, since you guys brought it up...it is not always necessary to tarp and mask like crazy in order to spray. A little common sense, proper conditions, experience and technique, and there will be times that NO tarping is required at all.

That is soo true Larry a little common sense goes a long way in our buisness! :lgwave: :lglolly:

I will second the truck brush.

About these truck brushes do applying strippers, do they really hold the stripper? Can someone post a pic of one for me? thanks!

Interesting.....thanks!!!

I can see them with use of some finishes, but on others I would worry about uneven bristle marks. Do you have any suggestions on which finishes they are best with?

Beth