Sign in to follow this  
suzuki4life

College Start-up

Hello everyone, I currently own a lawn maintenace/ landscape company in SE michigan and im soon to be attending arizona state in tempe. While i love working for myself doing lawns, there is just no way i can run my lawn business in AZ as i can here. Next spring/summer i will be selling the business. So i was thinking about pressure washing. I have tons of expierience in running the business/marketing/billing/quotes ect. Its just the equipent im not familiar with. So heres my vison:

My current 3/4ton long box chevy with a skid unit, something around 4000psi, 4gpm with hot water and mounted tank (not sure what size, but as big as i can fit and haul safly).

Being in college the rig has to be self contained i.e. no trailers, Ill have my motorcycle for day to day transport.

Do you think this is a powerful enough setup to run a decent business? i dont need a crazy expensive rig with all the best sepcs, but i want something that will get the job done

I know ill need general liabiliy on the business and commerical vehicle ins.

What about licencing in AZ?

As for clients i would like to do stuff like fast food joints, retail stores ect., but if the residential market has higher profit margins id be alright with that aswell.

Also i would like to know about the compition in Tempe/Pheniox/Mesa/Scottsdale area? Is the market too saturated with lowballers and scrubs?

thank you very much in advance for your insight

Good to hear college kids have still got some drive in them. Ron ********** and Scott Stone are both in the Phoenix metro, and can fill you in on plenty of useful area info. They are both highly respected professionals in the field.

The rig you are talking about is workable, but maybe not the best for the area. I'd go with more GPM and lower pressure. You can work with that, but you'll do better with more flow, in less time.

Maybe Ron or Scott are hiring, you could hardly study at a better tutor's knee.

On another topic, please fill out a signature, you'll get more responses and it is required on TGS. People like to know who they are talking to.

The search function here is full of discussions of starting out, read lots and lots; most of the best questions are answered somewhere in the archives.

Good luck, and happy reading!

I agree -- try to track down Ron ********** or Scott Stone. Their contact information should be in their profile. Ron is hard to get on the phone at times as he is cleaning the entire state of AZ LOL. You can't go wrong with Scott either!!

Dive into the forums as they have unlimited information about the business!!

Happy hunting

Get a 5.5 gpm machine. 4 gpm is small, it will do, but the more gpm you get the quicker & easier you do the work. If you do anything get the more GPM no matter what you plan on doing residential or commercial. If you cant afford a hot water machine which is usually needed for a lot of commercil flatwork get the more GPM and you can later add on a hot box when you have the $$$$

good luck to you

Jeff

Between the two of them, I am not sure what is left to clean. Seems like people from that area come and go real fast, and that is even the ones who spent a ton on equipment and marketing with business backgrounds.

Lets see what they have to say in regards to hooking up. I guess working for them rather than yourself may be a pitfall for you, but you never know.

As far as equipment, if you want to be competitive, you will need to step it up a bit. When you get out this way, it is real tight on commercial work.