Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Acr Roundtable To Have An Open Forum On A New Organization !

HELLO FROM EASTON PA.

The Fall round table planning is well under way . we are currently finishing the agenda for this event .

WE WILL BE HAVING AN OPEN FORUM TO DISCUSS THE FORMATION OF A PRESSURE WASHING TRADE ORGANIZATION .

We anticipate that we will have quite a few industry experts on hand . Many of them have had extensive organizational experience in the industry.

They will be glad to answer your questions and discuss there experiences in the industry . Cujo Cooley , Brian Penny , Beth Borrego , John Tornabene and other industry leaders.

If this is something that a nucleus of contractors wants to move forward with . This is your opportunity to be involved as a charter member in an organization that YOU decide how to make it what you expect in an organization !

We need everyones input and ideas to make this what it should be !

Look for more information in the near future for the agenda for the fall

ACR ROUND TABLE SATURDAY NOVEMBER 17TH .

ACR Products Inc.

Tom & Barbara Vogel

Easton, PA

610-253-8005

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/northeastern-regional-news-events/11652-acr-roundtable-have-open-forum-new-organization.html

Don't miss this folks!

I have received some calls and I would like to say that the people that were mentioned in the previous post are just a few, that will be coming to this event . It is an open forum that anyone can attend and bring together a great org. The body of the org. will decide who is going to run it , and how it is going to be run . My hope is that any past finger pointing and differences of opinion can be put aside so that anyone will have a say in this organization .

The calls that I have received today, indicate that some people are not interested in starting a new organization, if that is the case I will not waste anymore time on this idea. This is not an ACR ORGANIZATION . I am just providing a meeting place to see if this is something that you the contractors are interested in starting .

Tom, I agree a new organization for the power washing industry is needed.

Here are some of the basic things I feel a new organization would need to have in place to be successful:

1)The financials should be made public to all Members and maybe even non members

2)No board members can have conflicting business affiliations such as Distributorships, Manufactures, Education, Franchises …

3)All members are welcome

4)Create programs for establisher businesses

5)Annual Conference

6)A Logo with ideas to help sell the benefit to customers

7)Some type of accreditation for various aspects of power Washing

The purpose of this is to start the ball rolling. Please continue this list and fell free to comment in a positive way with any disagreements.

Tom, I agree a new organization for the power washing industry is needed.

Here are some of the basic things I feel a new organization would need to have in place to be successful:

1)The financials should be made public to all Members and maybe even non members

2)No board members can have conflicting business affiliations such as Distributorships, Manufactures, Education, Franchises …

3)All members are welcome

4)Create programs for establisher businesses

5)Annual Conference

6)A Logo with ideas to help sell the benefit to customers

7)Some type of accreditation for various aspects of power Washing

The purpose of this is to start the ball rolling. Please continue this list and fell free to comment in a positive way with any disagreements.

Great start Jack. :)

Beth

Great idea's Jack!! This is also a great Idea by Tom.

This needs to be discussed by many and in person. Get it all out there and lay it on the line what you think. Where all business people and in a gathering like this I think we will all be the professionals that we are. This post by Tom is what alot wanted to do in the past but it never came to fruition to actually have a live discussion and in person with a crowd with similiar passions.

By the end of the day the wheels could be turning there to move forward or not. There are other org's getting ready to start up and there are some that are becoming hugely successful with many members now that are Powerwashers such as the Water Jet Association.

I'm looking forward to this Roundtable to at the very least see some friends I've made on the Powerwashing bulletin boards ever the years. Cya's there.

A new organization sounds very interesting. I belong to a couple and it is always nice having an organization that supports its members. One for and by its members. I believe the best way to get started is finding exactly who and what the organization is and about. As far as peticulars, just look at other sucessful organization around you. What do they do and how do they do it. That would save many years of learning through the learning scale. That is what we did for our company. I know we speak and act like a 30 yr. + company, even though we are only ten years old. Folowing the example of sucessful organizations and people is an asset. Leadership should never be drawn from the buddy system. It needs highly motivated, educated folks to do the right thing. Picking leaders by vote of membership and turning the reins over to them is the way to go. Associates (Vendors) should not be the leaders as you said, but they must be involved daily as they know our business better than we do. They are propbaly one of the best assets of an organization. Just my thoughts. I'm looking forward to a viable represative in our industry. Thank You.

The contract with the Grease Police contains stipulations that would impose severe penalties if he were to sit on the BOD of any other organization. Including, but not limited to, the loss of his signing bonus and use of the company jet.

...it would be wise not to hitch your horses to any Vendor, Manufacturer or Distributor. Remember how the PWNA was started? It reminds me of something my father once told me... 'more often than not - behind the guise of most unselfish acts lies a selfish motive.'

If you are going to do something I would only hope that you do it as a group of contractors completely away from any influences, recommendations of anyone other than those of you who the organization will be formed to benefit.

There should be no rewards for those of us who are not full-time contractors other that to give all an even playing field to display our products and tell our story.

I would also suggest that the BOD be made up ONLY of a group of contractors dedicated to serve two Masters - the organization they were elected to manage and their individual business. Those who own BBS's, sell equipment, chemical, etc. should support your efforts by passing on information and helping to educate the industry. Then and only then will you have an organization that is not destined to fail.

As a Distributor and Manufacturer I have always wanted to share our knowledge without any strings attached and I am sure that if you gave all of us at the distributor level an equal shot you would find yourselves with an organization free of any illusions that somewhere there is a 'puppet master' with something to gain from all your hard work. Without that commitment I fear that you will be just like everyone else who has not taken such precautions and find yourselves replacing members rather than growing your organization and being alienated at the Mfg - Dist levels.

Whatever you decide - think it through very carefully and amongst yourselves over a cup of coffee at the local diner if need be rather than in the presence of those who could be viewed as someone with something to gain.

Good luck,

John

Very good points by Mr. Kramer and Mr. Allison.

My business is about 60/40 window cleaning/pressure washing and I happen to currently sit on the board of the IWCA as well as serve as President of the Association of United Window Cleaners. While both of these organizations seek out and welcome associate members (manufacturers & distributors), their membership does not carry voting privileges, nor can they sit on the board in anything other than an advisory capacity.

I can tell you personally that as a matter of policy both organizations bend over backwards to not show even a hint of favoritism of one associate member over another even if it means passing up what may have been an attractive opportunity of some sort - exclusive sponsorships, etc.

I think that policy has proven itself to be directly responsible for some measure of both organization's successes and would seem to be only appropriate.

All,

I would like to take the opportunity to weigh in on this topic as I have been named a player in it. Hopefully, I can fill in some of the blanks, shed light on some bits of dim information and otherwise prove to answer some questions.

FYI, .... I'm probably going to get long here so there it is, you've been warned.

First I'd like to thank those who have called and e-mailed me recently to ask about the goings on. I hope I have helped you and also look forward to hearing from anyone else who wants to talk.

As to the formation of a new org, I'd like to say this..Thanks for thinking of us. It really means a lot that some folks think us worthy. Second, be careful what you ask for. Brian and I are known for speaking our mind, standing for the right, and fighting hard for what we belive. This has caused us some trouble recently and our personalities aren't likely to change :)

John and Jack make good points and I'd agree with much of what they both have said, although I'd also add the counter argument (more for argument's sake and to provoke thought and discussion) that by barring all of the types mentioned, you'll end up barring many qualified individuals. Not that there aren't other qualified folks out there, but those that are hiding need to now come out in the open.

It is also of paramount importance that we seek to include those outside of our own sphere of influence. Sure, Beth has many whom she can reach out to via this BBS, but how many more can John reach..and Barb & Tom, and all the others. The potential number of contractors and contacts is staggering. Ignoring the value that distributors and Mfg's bring is to the peril of any org.. John is dead on the money with his observation that dist's and mfg's should be involved but not in management. The history lesson is there for anyone who cares to look.

I'd caution anyone to move slowly in the pursuit of a new org.. Moving fast for the sake of moving or acting with emotion instead of reason can have less than desirable results. Brian and I have been involved in discussions (more as consultants than anything) with folks who have suggested a new org. and who are dedicated to making something positive happen. More than anything we have both said over and over again.."Don't be in a hurry".

It is necessary for many things to happen and here is my own personal list (which is open for revision if need be) of the minimums.

1. A business plan - Before the pursuit of any endeavor, a plan must exist. Be it a trip away for vacation, a new profit center for your own business, or in this case, a new organization. A well thought out and documented plan must be in place. This plan would include market research, marketing plans, sales plans, revenue forecasts, and all the other standard items that any responsible businessperson would have.
  2. Solid market research - As alluded to in number one, it would only make logical sense that prior to bringing a product to market, a responsible manager would have the facts and figures to support the move. Further, but more importantly, for it to be successful, the org would HAVE to know what it is that the potential membership would want, and also whether or not they could actually provide those benefits.
  3. Complete transparency - Not only ethically required, but lawfully required. No back door deals, no closet contracts, no B.S.
  4. Cash - It takes money to make things happen. A new org will have to have a solid bankroll to deliver the things we think are necessary. Examples would be marketing materials (good stuff too... not just some lame logo or limp pamphlet), basic forms, basic safety plans, business assitance and education materials, lead generation tools, negotiated rates with advertizers, etc. This all takes clout. Clout starts with cash in hand.
  5. Controversy need not apply - A tough stance to take, but echoed by all who have participated in the discussions to date. This means that demonstrably polarizing individuals, or individuals who have a clear history of attacks, negativity, downright meanness or other socially unacceptable behaviors simply cannot be in leadership positions. Placing people like this, no matter how popular they may be, in a position of power leads to the demoralization of the org, casts a shadow of doubt among the members, and dims the effectiveness of the org in the public eye.
  6. Education - Contrary to current practices in existing organizations, a properly empowered and designed org must be a clearinghouse for education and the free market must decide who does or who does not participate. This is Brian's baby, and I agree with him.. but I'm writing this so I'm going to put it out here.. The org should have the responsibility to its members to ferret out viable and practical educational opportunities. Members should have the power to define what they want in an educational opportunity, both in topic and content. The org should present a set of minimum standards, curriculum requirements, etc. When a potential educator meets those requirements then, the org can say to a member "Companies A,B, and C offer this training and here is the contact information for each." Further, the org has the responsibility to monitor these educators and if they fail to meet acceptable standards, the org should have the power to solve the problem. There is more to this, but Brian needs to take the lead here.

This is really the minimum of where I'm at.. There is more, but I really don't want to write a novel.

For those who have read this far, Brian and I have agreed to host some "Town Hall" style meetings for anyone who wants to pursue this effort.

This one at Tom's place is one of those and is geared to the Northeast segment. We also want to do one in the South (I'm in Atlanta Ga. so near me would be great), one in the Midwest, and one on the West Coast.

Volunteers, Locations, and help is needed at every one of these so feel free to contact me or Brain for more info.

We'll also be announcing a date for a giant conference call to do the same thing and save travel money.

Here's the basics---

1. This is a Town Hall meeting to explore the possibility and potential for a new power wash association.. Not a bashing session against anyone else. If you have good solid input, ideas, or plans, this is the place to have your voice heard. If you want to pick a fight with an org or an individual that you are not happy with.. sorry, this ain't the place. Call your rep from whatever org (or the person) you are having an issue with and take your problem up with them. We can't solve it and we can't waste time trying.
  2. Be bold with your ideas and have them thought out and ready for scrutiny. NOTHING is off the table, but the table is of limited size. Therefore only the best ideas will stay. If you have a good idea and it stands the test, then it can come to fruition. Think about things like planning, implementations, costs, budgets, follow-up. These are challenges that need to be overcome.
  3. Get involved. If you want to facilitate change, you must act. It's a law of nature. Nothing happens without something else happening first. If YOU want a new org, then YOU have to make it happen.

Ok... That's it.. I'm spent

P.S. I'm available for anyone to talk with. Please remember that like many of you successful contractors, I'm a busy guy, so if I don't answer the phone and you really want to talk.. you have to leave a message.. I will call you back as soon as I'm able. (Eastern time, not after 9 pm too please...)

770-318-1032 (mobile)

Regards to all,

Cujo

I feel good about all the things said and would agree with just about everything I've read.

I am in most agreement of the following:

1) Learn from history of other failed/ failing organizations. For example, don't do things to discourage members from renewing membership or put people in power of the organization that have a conflict of interest.

2) Follow a model. The IWCA is a well run organization that is a great role model. Don't reinvent the wheel -K.I.S.S.!

I look forward to being at Tom's this fall and meeting with like minded tradesmen/tradeswomen.

Tim McCulla

I'll be the first to make a suggestion:

One of the big points in starting an org is money.

The second important point is participation amongst its membership. This can happen is many ways but the one significant one I will point out is fund raising.

A group of people in various regions can accomplish this. Heck, we are pw'ers and have the equipment, how about holding a car wash locally? We have people with reclamation equipment and environmental pw'ing knowledge. Lets put that to use to make money for the org to get it off the ground.

btw, this is but one of many suggestions people can make but doing is the contribution part. Let's make it happen! C-ya at Tom's.

:wave:

Rod!~

I'll be the first to make a suggestion:

One of the big points in starting an org is money.

The second important point is participation amongst its membership. This can happen is many ways but the one significant one I will point out is fund raising.

A group of people in various regions can accomplish this. Heck, we are pw'ers and have the equipment, how about holding a car wash locally? We have people with reclamation equipment and environmental pw'ing knowledge. Lets put that to use to make money for the org to get it off the ground.

btw, this is but one of many suggestions people can make but doing is the contribution part. Let's make it happen! C-ya at Tom's.

:wave:

Rod!~

Well I had really put a lot of thought into spearheading an effort last year to help start a new org for powerwashing.

As far as finances for starting a "not for profit" org that would be solely responsible to no other founder or distributor, I had a few ideas.

Here is my best one and it is OUT OF THE BOX so don't start bashing it.

You start a membership drive with stated GOALS for the org.You have bechmarks based on number of members in advance. You keep the dues very low to encourage participation like $35-50.00 a year at first.

As the membership grows, the dues go up along with the services the org is providing. For example the first year you get logo use and web and BBS privileges. That is all that is promised until membership hits a predetermined number such as 500 members. At that time (as previously stated in your business plan and goals) the dues go up to $100 -125.00 dollars based on what was the next service you rolled out for the members that had to be funded.

Eventually if you had 10,000 members across the country you could raise your dues so that you had money to run ads in industry magazines or heck maybe even an add in a major media outlet.

But whatever your goals were, simple or extravagant, you would only charge dues based on what you were providing while still reimbursing BOD members for ligitamate and necessary expenses incurred.

This plan would facilitate rapid growth so that you could see what your base would likely be after say two years. Nobody would likey wait to join as maybe under a normal start up. I think that the first year people are not getting much for their money. People wait till it's really showing signs of return for their money before joining. But if the dues are low in the beginning, more will join because expectations are low.

That was my idea starting an Org with little or no money out of pocket.

Scott

Scott,

Thank you for bringing your ideas to the table. All the more to consider at the 'Town Meeting' as it has been neatly put.

Just for the record, neither Beth or I are spearheading this effort nor are we in any leadership position. This is still to be determined in other ways once positions of leadership are appointed, but we are in support here. According to some of the feedback this far, if enacted, I don't think we would be eligible. For those who take up the positions by election, they will be given a great deal to work with by the feedback and input given here on TGS.

This is a great start folks, lets keep it positive and move forward.

Rod!~

CETA was great as most gatherings like that are . For our next gathering we are going to have a blast literally . I read in the Feb. issue of cleaner times about dry ice blasting , now we are going to see it . We will also do some cob and baking soda blasting . And to lift us up we are going to have a national lift rental company come in to talk about that . As always there will be plenty of food to go around. Last but not least we will be forming an org. of some sort ? The round table is from 8 am till ? on sat the 17 th of november , and some of the people are going to be there on Sun. morning to talk about the new org . The cost is $35.00 and we are limiting it to 100 people so if you are interested give us a call at 610-253-8005

Would it be possible to put out the Itinerary soon as to what is scheduled for each day and about what times there expected to start at??

I know a few guys who are thinking about traveling a long way for this roundtable who have to book flights soon to make it there.

The Official R.T. will start on Sat. morning at 8:30 and about 12:30 we will have lunch . Then start again around 1:30 and go till late . The reason we switched to Sat. is so that people are not so rushed to get home . I will post the hotel that people stayed at last time. Sunday will be primarly to discuss the formation of the new org. I can get some other presenters there that would be really good . The reason I have not done so yet is we need some time to talk about this new org .

Sign in to follow this