Sign in to follow this  
LCPW

Help!! What do you pull your trailer with?

Question

Ok, here's the deal...

I'm looking at getting an enclosed trailer within the next couple months. It will have the usual 500 gal water tank, washer, 50 gal chem tank and various other equipment.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of the weight of such a setup (including the weight of the trailer).

As I have not owned a trailer before I'm kind of in the dark here.

THE REASON, I'm wondering the weight is fairly simple.

I'm looking at purchasing the vehicle to tow this rig and I would really like to get an SUV instead of a pickup. Pressure washing is just a seasonal side business for me so this will also be my day-to-day vehicle as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has towed such a rig with a 2004 tahoe (or somthing similar)

At the end of the day if it can't be done I'll get the truck but I'd really like to look at a larger SUV if I could get away with it.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

I think you would be better off with a used 3/4 ton pickup to pull that much trailer than trying to use a full sized suv.

Well, other than an excursion... but they are in a class by themselves.

A trailer that drives the tow vehicle is a recipe for disaster.

r

hmmm, I appreciate the input!

If I can pull of the SUV I was looking at the lincon navigator which is built of the the expedition platform and has a towing capacity of 8,800lbs. Or a tahoe which is similar.

I'm just not to sure on the weight of the trailer rig.

Ok, here's the deal...

I'm looking at getting an enclosed trailer within the next couple months. It will have the usual 500 gal water tank, washer, 50 gal chem tank and various other equipment.

Water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon so if the tank wqas full then you would have 4170 in just water alone, add in the 50 gallon chem tank of 417 and the weight of the tanks at around 150 and you have 4737.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of the weight of such a setup (including the weight of the trailer).

Trailer will be around 2000 lbs, so we are up to 6737, and the average skid washer weighs 600-900 lbs.

I'm looking at purchasing the vehicle to tow this rig and I would really like to get an SUV instead of a pickup. Pressure washing is just a seasonal side business for me so this will also be my day-to-day vehicle as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has towed such a rig with a 2004 tahoe (or somthing similar)

At the end of the day if it can't be done I'll get the truck but I'd really like to look at a larger SUV if I could get away with it.

Any help would be appreciated !

Thanks!

Unless you get a very large enclosed trailer, then you will most likely end up keeping items in the SUV as well. It will get old removing them each day, unless you want to drag it around.

An SUV will pull the trailer, and if the trailer has brakes on at least one axle, it will stop it safely as well. The main issue is durability. If you tow that trailer often, the vehicle will wear out at a faster rate than a larger one.

Where do people get these crazy weights for a gallon of water, 8.34 lbs?

Hello, a gallon of water is exactly 128 ozs. That's 8 lbs, have you ever bought a gallon of milk - again 128 ozs.

Different liquids have different weights. That 128 ounces is fluid ounces. Before you go calling me crazy, you better check yourself, as your genius is not showing.

So Alan, me thinking you are totally crazy, because afterall one fluid oz - defined to be in the dictionary as 1/16th the volume of a pint - when filled with water basically defines the weight of an ounce. So I went thinking I would go to the dictionary and my textbooks of standards and measure and prove this to you.

But then the 'experimental' side of my physics undergraduate training convinced me to do a small experiment - as you can see - I placed a '2-cup' measuring cup on a scale and zeroed out the meter - and then poured in water to the very top. And voila - presto! Like magic - the needle is pointing at 1 lb!!!!!!! Yay whadd'ya know - hell didn't freeze over afterall and pigs still don't fly...freakin' moron.

post-1720-137772187691_thumb.jpg

........... before the battle begins.......

LCPW,

Tahoe will pull it, it would be better if you could find one that already has a towing pkg. installed w/ electric braking system for the trailers weight. Because you will have some pretty good weight if you are towing w/ your tanks constantly full.

....... on with the battle.........

thanks for the feedback guys,

sounds like I'm going to be pulling about 7,100 lbs,

if I do go with the SUV I'll most likely be looking at a Navigator or Tahoe.

I don't have any family to pull around, I work full time during the day and classes in the evening, this is a side business that I do during the summer.

I think if I get a 16ft enclosed with the usual equipment I might have a little storage in there if I equip it with racking etc... this would limit the amount of equipment I would have to put into the SUV.

But I believe the main question has been answered, which is, its not unheard of to tow with an larger SUV!

Absolutely,

I pull with a Suburban and 13k towing package.

I hardly know the trailer is behind me, but that mighthave something to do with the 454 engine.lol.

Just don't exceed axle and tongue weight and make sure your engine and trans can handle that kind of tonage, since it is used and most likely will have no warranties.

Good luck.

We've pulled all our trailers with a '98 Expedition 4x4.

haven't had any issues but I'm sure it would be much easier with an F350 when the tanks are full.

btw, tanks are rarely every full!! there's always water where we go.

Tahoe will do fine, you'll see.

When I first started I pulled my trailer with a 2003 Lincoln Navigator. I had the 5.4 V8. It pulled the trailer just fine and was nice to have the load leveling suspension.

Since then I have gotten a V8 F-150, works great. I bought my E-350 two years ago and it pulls pretty well. Last year I added a 2006 F-250 diesel and it truly kicks butt.

If I were you, I'd buy a diesel F-250. It will outpull the navigator, is just as fast and much better on gas mileage. If you get a crew cab it has plenty of room. You'll find that it really bites when you spill chems in your Navigator, plus the smell. The bed is great to have in a truck and it's classy to roll around town in. Just put some 22's on it and you're ready to roll.

Here is a link for a 16 foot trailer with some spec for you to consider. It is actually closer to 3000 pounds for the trailer, and then add your shelves that you mentioned and equipment to come out with a very heavy trailer.

Welcome to Golden West Trailer Sales - Quality and dedicated Trailer Sales

What kind of work will you be doing, & what kind of equipment will you be getting? Do you really need 500 gallons? Heavy when full, very large footprint, and incredible slosh if not full. You may not need such a large tank, and that would help solve some of your potential problems.

Alan, how small a tank would you consider using for an 8gpm machine, figuring there was actually water on every site?

r

With water on every site, I was fine with one of my 230 gallon tanks. I know a guy who uses a 50 gallon tank and says that he has no problem.