Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Take a look at this beautiful mess of a dock!!

Question

How bout this beauty of a dock with a water base primer and some cracking peeling oil base S/W paint.It laughed at my S/H stripper and i'm sure not using a paint stripper over water.

So it looks like a primer the whole dock and "i can't believe i'm saying it" I'll re paint the nasty looking fire engine red colored dock.I'm trying to figure out what process will keep this from peeling again? :2eyes:

I'm tossing around a 2 tone idea also..... It's a beauty huh Ken?

Heath1.jpg

Heath2.jpg

Heath3.jpg

Heath4.jpg

24 answers to this question

I might be thinking about flipping boards and starting over. It would make a nice winter project.

That was my first thought too John but it's a little more work than i have labor right now.I know what you mean tho all i would have to deal with are the joist marks.

You might not can strip it, but you ain't gona run from it.

I would have been long gone.

Guess that's why you're The Wood Saver of Texas.

You da man!!

I know what you mean Christian i would normally run from this type of job and it's gonna be the first "sniff sniff " deck I'm gonna "paint". It goes soo much agianst my morals with wood .

#1 she such a nice lady that called me months ago before they closed on the house.She even put my bid in her escrow when buying the house.

I'm gonna get her to pay the materials and I'll make some labor.It's pretty easy and square so a little masking tape then roll it on or brush the few tough areas.

How hard can panting be huh ?? There are tons of painters! "no offense painters"

LOL,

I can't say I didn't take on a painting job this summer. It was for my customer that gave me his 2500 sq ft ipe deck to take care of. I did it only because I was being a nice guy. Sometimes I hate being a nice guy!! Especially after having to rent scaffolding, set it up, and taking it down,

and not to mention painting.:lgbonk:

Can't you corn cob blast it? A little more expensive, but in my unknowing eyes, it would end up beautiful.

That's true Scott that would probally work but my worry is all the old existing paint getting in the water.I'll have to have the H.O check with the HOA and see what's allowed by the water.

We have to submit all the products used on the project anyway before i start anything.

P.S ya'll Diamond Backs are kickign some Cub A$$ :cool:

Jesus Shane that is one ugly looking deck - yep it has one big smile on it cause you cant' put the stripper down :lglolly:

Maybe it was a typo but did I read that you were going to paint it?:lgtear:

Nah, your gonna find a way to strip it and stain it ~ you know why? Cause you da man!!:lgmoneyey

Jesus Shane that is one ugly looking deck - yep it has one big smile on it cause you cant' put the stripper down :lglolly:

Maybe it was a typo but did I read that you were going to paint it?

Nah, your gonna find a way to strip it and stain it ~ you know why? Cause you da man!!:lgmoneyey

Yeah Carlos it sure a mess and I'm tryign to weigh all my options that are gonna be feasable.

You read right ok I said the 5 letter word paint alright :lgtear:

I'm gonna try my best to make the dock look as good as i can make it for what it is and for my options that i can work with. :lgwave:

Did you know that the 5 letter word is banned per article 4.6.2.1 of the BDA by-laws and furthermore it is banned from this site :lgangry:

LOL - you will figure it out....you always do...

I sent you a PM the other day - hit me when you can!

Did you know that the 5 letter word is banned per article 4.6.2.1 of the BDA by-laws and furthermore it is banned from this site :lgangry:

LOL - you will figure it out....you always do...

I sent you a PM the other day - hit me when you can!

That's too funny!! :lol:

I'm gonna have give you ring some time so we can shoot the bull...You ust have to let me know your best times of the day when it works for you?

Sure...I will PM you with my cell and times to call....later bud...

back to the topic!!!!!

Cool that works for me :cool:

I know you are sad to see Mr.Bonds leaving Frisco :rolleyes:

How about draping a tarp under the deck? You could also do this with the stripper, and then pump it out to a holding tank. You could tie it to inner tubes and string them all the way the deck, and then tie the ends of the tarp to the tubes,. Then you can pump that out, too.

Just me being off the wall.

(you like our Babybacks???)_

z

Gasoline & a match

Painting does suck. I would always be worried that it wont adhere for to long. It looks like they will be dealing with this mess for years to come

Is the sky the limit on $$$$ for this deck? If it is make it pretty one way or another. Come on Shane youuuuuuuuuuu cannnnnnnnnnn dooooooo itttttttt

The heck with the water (whats a few fish and the environment) strip the damn thing, blast it, what ever. Dont put your name or sign anything and put some illegals to work. They get caught, its not like they will get arrestted or have to pay a fine or anything lol

Good luck onthis one Shane

I know what you mean Christian i would normally run from this type of job and it's gonna be the first "sniff sniff " deck I'm gonna "paint". It goes soo much agianst my morals with wood .

#1 she such a nice lady that called me months ago before they closed on the house.She even put my bid in her escrow when buying the house.

I'm gonna get her to pay the materials and I'll make some labor.It's pretty easy and square so a little masking tape then roll it on or brush the few tough areas.

How hard can panting be huh ?? There are tons of painters! "no offense painters"

Well there is an alternative if they like the red color......HERCULINE it and they will never have to paint it again. I just got thru doing a porch,steps and ramp with it and it turned out great. Waiting on the pics to post on the forum.

That's true Scott that would probally work but my worry is all the old existing paint getting in the water.I'll have to have the H.O check with the HOA and see what's allowed by the water.

:cool:

My suggestion if cob blasting is to put a mesh around it. You would have to change it frequently but you could catch the largest portion of it before it gets to the water.

Food for thought?

Rod!~

Another option is to get a contractor with a Dry Ice Blaster. Then all you have to worry about is the paint chips but you could collect by a tarp under the deck. Dry Ice will evaporate almost instantly and leave you a new clean wood without damage. And wouldn't get you in trouble with any environmental agencies...

Just my 2 cents

Dan

Hey Dan I just mentioned that dry ice method the other day... too ironic :) ..you got more info on it?

Shane I would say belt sander and Cabot OVT solid stain but I don't think it for horizontal decking. You got to anti graffiti it..haha

Its not a common thing around these parts. I went to a demo last year and was really impress with its ability to clean. They performed test on a lot of different stuff and one was to remove paint from wood and it didn't damage it. They were really trying to sell me one since I was the best prospect at that demo but it didn't really suit my needs at the present time. I have just hooked up with a very large worldwide food company and I might be looking at the machine now if they continue to give me work.

At the time the blaster was I believe around 22 grand. Pretty steep but if there is enough work to warrant the expense I might go for it.

But I could really see it as the best solution to your problem. You only need one complaint to an environmental agency and they will be on your A** faster than you can say "My fine is WHAT???" lol

you can google "dry ice blasting or blaster" and you will have tons of info

Good luck

Dan

Having blasted with cob, walnut, soda, and dry ice, you really only need to stay away from soda over the water, it will raise the ph in the immediate area. The old paint- once it's dry, it's not toxic to anyone, I doubt that paint has been on there since 1978, the last year they had lead in the paint.

Shane, call me about the blasting, I can now help you out.

Hi

Has anyone tried an infrared heat lamp for paint stripping?

It is supposed to heat the paint/timber so that the moisture rises and lifts the paint (same as what has happened over years of being in the sun, but in seconds/minutes) and then you scrape it off. Seems slow, but easy to collect paint.

Here is an example http://www.paintshaver.com/heat-n-strip.html

Cheers